Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #2981
Rivet Master

Got a signal...to get on the forum! Yeah! Glad all went well and you' all tucked in for the night. I'm at an RV park in Glen ferry, Idaho. Stayed in a Walmart last night, at Island city, so this one is FHU @ $25....not bad.

Sandwich for dinner, read a bit, then night-night. Be well. Safe travels. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #2982
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Everybody is happy and tucked in for the night... yes FaN, I agree with that... thx for sharing the pats with the cat Mimi... Everybody sleep well... hugs and love around....gail
Old 09-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #2983
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
5 hours from Bend to Ontario, OR on Hwy 20, which is largely...and surprisingly...desert.

Waiting at the rather inhospitable Pilot Truck Stop for Bob and Page...smallish, oldish, dusty, and very noisy.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #2984
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hi all... hope you're friends arrived Maggie... Lili/TinCrumpet emailed today.. asked me to share that husband Hans is recovering well from surgery and she will be on this thread later in the week to say hi to all.... ok,everybody keep having fun!!! Hugs and love...gail
Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #2985
Rivet Master

Will wonders never cease. Here I am tucked in for the night...Mikki and me....at the Walmart in Rock Springs....same one I stayed at on my way to JH KOA. I have a signal, so, thought I might just try for the forum again!

Drove 400+ miles today, and I am very tired. The route that I took, across SE corner of Idaho and NE Corner of Utah...field of hay, fields of grain, and not much else. Lots of big trucks, (they apparently think the 75-80 mph speed limit is a loosely translated suggestion, as they fly by me .... While I am Going 75-80 ..... As if I were standing still.)!

Then there is lots of construction zones on the hwys, and I also seem to be the only one alive out here that reads the ever changing speed zones for those construction areas! Truckers are taking 55-65 mph curves at 70+++! I have seen 2 really terrible truck crashes off the sides of some tight curves...one still in flames, with several police, EMTS, ambulances, fire trucks....all in attendance. The other was obviously a futile recovery action...as nothing could have survived the absolute devastation.

One might think the truckers and other speed demons might pay a bit of caution....but, no, they just kept on speeding, each, seemingly trying to beat some sort of deadline. Passing each other on tight curves, etc. I back off and let them fight it out among themselves.
My goal is to get home in one piece, safely.

Hopefully will be on last day of my long journey tomorrow, or perhaps the next day. No hurry....this adventurer hopes to live for many more trips in my future....safely.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this entire adventure, meeting some really nice folks, seeing and experiencing new and exciting places. One bucket list trip .... Checked off!

Night-night, all! Evelyn.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #2986
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Speed kills. You are correct in driving as you are comfortable and not faster. Be safe, be happy, be careful.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #2987
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Good to see you and Lily again! Glad we could meet up. Safe travels and I hope our paths cross in the future.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #2988
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great to see you and Bob, as well.

Safe travels, and have a wonderful time exploring the country.

Maggie
Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #2989
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Hey Maggie...hope you're day went well...where are you now?? And where did you stay last night.. I'm sort of tracking your progress... keep having fun out there!! Hugs and love from Oregon...
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #2990
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Drove the back roads yesterday morning out of Ontario, OR, and into Idaho...lots of onion fields in these here parts, trucks full to heaping of onions, and smashed onions on the roads ...to the Cove BLM campground near the Snake River south of Grand View...I love the Snake River.

A beautiful and well maintained campground, each site having a cement pad including fire pit, with a steel shelter and picnic table, shelter walls specifically placed to shield campers from late afternoon sun.

No signal.

We were the only ones here until late evening, when two other rigs pulled in. Shaded shelter notwithstanding, the Interstate in full sun late day was very hot well into late evening. Was going to stay a second night, but did not.

I gathered left firewood from empty sites for a campfire this morning, Lily and I had a good walk....tho she ran ...did a little housekeeping and headed into Mountain Home to find a tire place and bicycle repair shop.

Lug nuts tightened and tire pressure checked, multitudes of smashed to smithereens insects washed off the windshield , next will be a bike shop.

Heading to a city park in Buhl for tonight.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	272044  
Old 09-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #2991
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No open bicycle shop in Mountain Home, but had a beautiful drive on 30 into Twin Falls, whose City Park I decided to head to.

Did make a stop in Buhl at the Cloverleaf Creamery ...it called to me as I drove by, with its old neon sign and looking like it had been there for 50-60 years.

There are lots of Sportsmen turnoff sites along the Snake River...the ones I saw were paved, well maintained, and seem to be much used.

Such a beautiful, bank full river, but looks like it doesn't flood often as there are many homes quite close.

I drove down one turnoff that had a camping sign, hopeful for something lovely on the water, but it was nothing but an open, paved area...too hot right now for full sun and no electricity.

The Rock Creek City Park in Twin Falls is beautiful, however....covered with lush grass, by a creek, RV's only, with W/E sites for $15 a night.

And, signs that sprinklers are on Mon-Thurs night.

Lots of irrigation going on out here, creating beautiful oasis of green amidst the dry and arid other.

Good internet signal, and basic TV Channels.

Twil do nicely for tonight.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #2992
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I was wondering if you would be passing thru there as we followed along. Have family there. Nice, not so little town anymore.

Enjoy your evening.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #2993
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll poke around here some tomorrow, before I head out.

The campground was right off 30, as I came into town, so I haven't seen the town at all, really.

Lots of signs for hot springs in this area, too, and some interesting looking Historical Centers/Museums.

The Oregon Trail came thru here, so pioneer imagery and reference abounds.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #2994
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know that I have done steadily better over time, minus my sweet hubby these past 2 1/2 years, but I have particularly noticed another shift to the forward as I have been heading toward home these past few days.

I believe it is, again, the confidence that comes from doing, and having done successfully this trip some things that I feared.

It is also about being willing and able to carve out my own path, my way of travel that suits me best, in widowed life.

In the beginning...I tried to do everything exactly as Doug and I had done it, whether at home or on the road, as it felt the only thing to do.

It was rote behavior, is what it was, me on automatic pilot....my way of doing what needed to be done as well as memorializing and honoring him and our life together.

I've come more into my own this year, becoming more comfortable in my widows' skin, and traveling by myself, making changes to do what works best for me.

I think of Doug every day, talk with him and tell him I love him, but I am gradually creating a new life....one which I feel he supports and encourages and participates in as needed.

A good thing.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #2995
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Glad to to hear from you... that last post brought a tear to my eye.... you're doing good on great campsites!!! Ok, enjoy the journey!!!.. hugs and love to you both...
Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #2996
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thinking of you, Maggie

Last Sunday I drove through Normal on I-74, albeit the time was about 4:30 AM. I was on my way from North Carolina to South Dakota...1300 miles in two days.

Each time I head up through Illinois, I do think about you, Maggie, and your inspirational thread here on Air Forums. And, as you are a very convincing advocate for the Interstate, I may head that direction in a year or so, just to get more flexibility to my traveling.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And, if by chance you are going to be at Palmetto Cove 12-16 October, I will see you there.

Be well,
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #2997
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Tommie.

I have read your musings here on potential Interstate ownership, which would be quite a change in travel lifestyle for you.

Wherever would you stash your espresso machine?

That said, I couldn't love my Interstate more.

Go anywhere, park (almost) anywhere, the flexibility of small luxury travel is undeniable.

And, having your house on your back, if it's raining all you have to do is park and step to the back, and you are ready to go with all the necessities of life.

I won't be at Alumalina, will be at the Moraine View rally 20 minutes from my house.

Travel safe.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #2998
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Catching up on the news...more shootings, bombings, fellow citizens driven to violence walking here among us...what a world we are living in today.

"the hardest and most common cause of radicalization in the United States, when personal demons morph into ideologically driven violence."

I found the above words exactly on point.

I have just finished another, first person account, book on the Holocaust..."The Nazi Officer's Wife", by Edith Hahn-Beer.

Excellent.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #2999
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The really lovely little city park campground in Twin Falls doesn't have a dump station, but the city itself offers a free one just a couple of miles away, so I headed there this morning for my first emptying of tanks since my new valve was installed last Friday.

I can no longer get my sewer hose connected...there just isn't room, it won't go on, no way, no how, not going to happen.

Tanks being full, it was fortunate for me that this was one of those extremely hospitable dump stations with a sloping cement pad and sewer opening that was flush with the ground......so, I got as close as I could, and slowly opened the valves to empty, then flushing and cleaning the area with the available hose.

No solids, no toilet paper, cleaned up nicely, so not too bad.

Will stop at the first RV repair place I find and see what they can do...if I could remove the plastic encasing the connector, that might help, but then how would I attach it firmly.

To be resolved....

I did find an open bicycle shop here, and the young man there is putting puncture proof inner tubes on both tires, also going to give it a good going over, grease and tend to anything that needs it while in there...and, I can pick it up by noon today.

So, I have taken myself out for breakfast at a little diner here, the Depot Grill.

In addition to other recent signs of healing and deepening strength in widowhood, I have eaten out by myself several times this trip, without tears coming immediately to my eyes at the notable absence of sweet hubby sitting across from me.

I see the country fried steak on the menu, a favorite of his, and know that is probably what he would order.

Sigh.

We're doing okay, LIly and I...missing him, but trying to live life and hoping there are many more travel years yet to come...still in the shadow of what used to be, but the sky is getting more clear every day.

Movement forward is a good thing.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #3000
Rivet Master

Maggie, in my estimation, you are doing a great job of "moving forward on your own".... Your solo self and miss Lily! Keep up the good work.

As for me, I arrived home yesterday afternoon, none the worse for wear. Goliath has served me well. He is, however, due for his first oil change. $$$, I am sure!

Mikki was glad to be home...immediately re-established her Alfa self to the little pack at home. Funny, they began doing a very harmonious wolf pack howl last night...led by Mikki. Deb said that's the first time they have done that since just before we left.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip, but, it is good to be home. More trips in our future. Next year.