Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Capitol One Venture!

Out in the back yard, aggressively trimming back shrubs by the patio that didn't get their trim last year, I hear the UPS truck and quickly come inside.....in case it's my lost wine, which will require signature.

Not wine, but a delivery of flowers!......a dozen, beautiful red roses and 6 perfect Calla Lilies.....in sympathy for my loss.....from Capitol One!

How in the world did they know, I'm thinking......then, pondering my application in March, and the reason why I chose this card.....I think I said the card was highly recommended but that it was a primarily financial decision, looking to see what recurring expenses could be cut in reduced-income widowhood.

No fee the first year, then 1/3 of Citibank's after that, plus great benefits.

Customer service, extraordinaire.

I am stunned, and the flowers are gorgeous.

What a day-brightener.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	239449  
Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie that is impressive. Everyday is a good day for flowers but from a stranger. Like you said nice surprise. Costco is severing their relationship with American Express and we have been wondering about a new card. Your experience with Capital One so far has been positive. Enjoy your flowers.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, choices we make every day are so much about customer service.

I thank the staff at one of my Dr.'s offices every time I go in there for their outstanding approach to patient care. They could teach seminars on compassion and kindness.

Not a person in there, from aide to RN to clerk at checkout who doesn't have a warm and friendly demeanor.

It's why I have been a patient there over 25 years.

I sent a little thank you thru the message system at Capitol One, to "Allie" who sent the flowers. Hopefully, it will get to her.

So far, this card is everything it says it is. Couldn't be easier to redeem points earned, and the 40,000 bonus you get after charging $3,000 in the first 3 months is really nice. Yes, I pay my card off every month.

Anything that makes life a bit easier and more pleasant.....and hurts no one....is good for me.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am tired..

Spent a good several hours this morning cutting back shrubs....with an electric trimmer, and by hand with snippers for the branches too thick that almost needed a hand saw .....then raking, hauling into the Gorilla Cart and 4 trips to the curb.....finally over-seeding my big back yard.

Doug chores, mostly, now mine, and I do do them better this year than last. Sigh. And, I'm not crying thru them this year.

For me, some tasks just need to be torn into, with all the momentum you can muster, lest you pause for too long and find a reason not to finish it.

Just got out there and hauled a--, as Doug would say. I'm sure, if anyone were watching, I was quite a sight.

Can't hire it all out, and it is good for my aging bones to just take it on. I need to be grateful I can do it, right?

I did decide not to move and relocate the huge pile of wood that was the other side of one length of the trellis...because, why. It is neatly stacked, if rather unattractive in its current spot.

Will get all or most of it onto the patio come fall, with the help of the grands.....who I will entice with a fire in the chiminea to roast hot dogs and make S'Mores.

I have enough firewood for at least 2 more winters, from the wood adventures of last spring.

Back yard looks entirely different, with the trellis on two sides of the patio gone, now the shrubs trimmed. Will need to plant some new somethings in some of that newly opened up area....don't know what, and not this year, I don't believe.

My daughter and her sweet hubbie will be home for the family thing next weekend, and we are doing durable and medical powers of attorney while both my kids are in one place.

Doug and I had not done these, thinking there was plenty of time for such things, I guess. As his next of kin, I didn't need the medical power of attorney, but the durable would have reduced some angst when what was going to happen with him was still very uncertain.....would he need medical transport home, long term care, etc.

I have noticed, now past the first anniversary of Doug's death, that I am not experiencing the monthly, date anniversary each month....the "this time X months ago, Doug was still alive, Doug was in ICU, Doug had just died", etc.

I think that is a good sign, of healing and resolution coming, bit by bit.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #285
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Good Morning Maggie... I caught up this morning reading the back posts of this thread...I was going from the newest to were I'd left off... I did that when I first found Lili's original thread too... it was in the thousands already!!! took forever!!! a nightly adventure... I'm really glad I found you sooner!!!... loving ever post... all right...Keep having fun!!! Hugs for the day.. gail
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #286
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Timcrumpet was the one who loved my PiggySu pigtures I believe! I wondered where she went!
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I enjoy your daily greetings, Gail.

Sure hope we can connect later this summer. I will be practically to Oregon in July, after all.

Tis Friday, and I've been doing what I do most Fridays......cleaning the little house.

This week......much more thoroughly than usual, due to the annual "do" here next Saturday.

With siblings coming....what is it about siblings, anyway ....everything that has not already been thoroughly cleaned must receive attention.

I envy at times those with close, warm, sibling bonds....that "best friends forever" relationship that many of us instead find and cherish outside our nuclear families. I guess one needs to be grateful to have them at all.

My siblings and I get together about twice a year....most years .....more for our children than because we are dying to see and experience one another.

These gatherings used to always be at the little house, til the number and size of the second generation forced moving the Christmas gathering....which must, due to weather, be held inside.....to my son's. We have about outgrown his, too, but not just yet.

The June one is still here, as I have an awning-ed patio and big back yard, which extends the limited inside space.

It is a lot of work, but everyone brings a dish and the grown cousins were really great about pitching in and doing more last year, me without my right-hand man....and grill master.

The nice thing about this time of year.....the central AC is on, so thorough dusting is not necessary every single week.

Doing it this week so I can focus next on fine-tuning a few things.....and cooking.

I can do this.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobiedoobie View Post
Timcrumpet was the one who loved my PiggySu pigtures I believe! I wondered where she went!
She's alive and well, but taking a break from the Forums.

She'll be back to this thread, and will enjoy hearing from those who have enjoyed her.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #289

Canyon , Arkansas
I have a Tilley and they are great. A little more expensive than some but worth it. Like they say, lose it or destroy it and they will replace it. They say that an elephant ate one and when recovered it was good as new. Well I imagine they washed it before using it. Great hat.
Cheers, bill b.
billby06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #290
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I may indulge in a Tilley hat at some point.

They don't have pretty colors, tho.....I really wanted functional, but also pretty.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #291
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That's my objection to Tilley hats also. I'm not a girly girl but don't want to wear a masculine style. I think in a couple more years they will make their intermediate brim in colors other than off white.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #292
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well, back in biker days we adorned out "caps/hats/covers" with useful and or memorable items. For instance, we had "run pins" to commemorate rallys... We also had "missing man" pins.. military, etc. those work best on flat fields...solid colors.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hard to imagine you a biker, Channing.

I do have a solid color hat.......violet!

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Love this.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Morning Maggie just FYI your pic or link from this morning didn't go thru. Neither did the "violet" hat.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmmm.

They show up on my screen.

I didn't repost a picture of the hat......did you see it the first time?

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The attachment from this morning was a quote from Winnie the Pooh:

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest,
waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes.

Maggie.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Anyone else can't see these?

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #299
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
No didn't see it the first time ... But maybe its on my end. Someone just commented on a pic that FAN posted that would not open for me.

I'm on a droid and the spot where the photo would be looks like a small square with a squiggle in the middle. Those will not open for me. Oh well... Someone will explain it.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahhhh.

My Droid phone doesn't do pictures well, either.

I rewrote the quote for you....It's a good one.

And, trust me, the violet hat is a beautiful, electric color.

I'll be seen for miles and miles.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »