Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #1975
Rivet Master

Maggie, I am so glad those children were found. I am sure there is some interest in fact they were in a neighbor home. Strange. I suppose the story will progress?

I continue to be impressed by your grit and tenacity, Maggie. We all deal with grief and tragedy in our own way. Either deal with it and continue moving forward...or, as some I have known ....collapse in a never ending puddle of depression. The losses I have experienced...difficult as they have been, I think have made me stronger than before. I have chosen to move forward, as you have. That is the only way toward survival, in my mind. The experiences have made me more determined and independent than ever. The love exists...in a different plane.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #1976
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The children were found together, in a closet, in an abandoned mobile home not far from their residence....a mobile home that was reportedly searched in the early hours after the children went missing.

4, 3 & 2 years old....outside unattended. I am biting my tongue, trust me.

More to this story awaits disclosure by the police.

Maggie

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #1977
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Could you get a trailer place of a plumber to re route the hook up so it is at the side? Someone re jigged my 73 Argosy so the hook up point was at the back and not underneath. I would have preferred going to the side and may still do that. The back end location is prone to getting bashed on curbs and stuff.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #1978
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That could be a possibility to consider, should I not get this mastered....especially as I get older.

3rd beach walk of the day, Lily comes back so full of sand it is almost pointless to try to wipe anything off her feet.

If I didn't vacuum up after her all...day...long...I swear I would be in 1/2" of sand in here by bedtime every single night.

She is so grateful, tho, it is worth every grain of sand in here...she hops up next to me when we get back, and licks my face exuberantly.....thank you, thank you, thank you..

I wade in the water, tell her to come on, she follows me in, hopping over incoming waves, wagging her tail delightedly. Sigh.

What would I do without her....I don't even want to think about it.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #1979
Rivet Master

You have made Lily one happy little girl, and she obviously shows you that. Ou furry babies...what would we do without that unconditional love and affection?!

I wish I could take Mikki with me on my trip to Fort Worth on the 30th, but, this is a strictly business trip and she will need to wait for a pleasure trip...soon. I finally worked out the logistics...tow the Bambi down, overnight in Amarillo (RV park), stay 2-3 nights in the Interstate at the dealership...instruction & more instruction...drive Pathfinder home, overnight in motel in Amarillo> home on the 3rd April. Fly down April 6, 2 nights at dealership in Interstate, then back to Amarillo RV Park, then home next day. Reservations are made. Trip & maps set, maps & triptix ordered.

This will give me a taste of what our trip will feel like this fall. Can't wait!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #1980
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Maggie,

We love reading your blog. Someday we hope to meet you and say THANK YOU. We know a couple from RI - our home state (WBCCI New England Unit- Region 1) who had the pleasure of meeting you and Doug. They had very kind words for the both of you.

Best Regards,

Titu & Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:38 AM   #1981
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a good plan, Evelyn, especially spending several days at the dealership to run your new baby thru its paces.

I wish we had had that option, tho I did have the service guy there on speed dial the first couple of months.

Thank you for the kind words, AirHog.

I know some very fine folks from Rhode Island, and will be seeing them in a few weeks at Alumalina.

If you haven't been to one of those, that is a really great group to spend time with....with really good people, John & Susan Leake, at the helm.

Slept with all the windows open last night, the pounding surf lulling me to sleep.

My two weeks here have been wonderful, but gone very fast, tho I have a near-full laundry bag to show for it.

I was determined not to make the 45 minute trek back into Charleston for a laundry run this time, essentially burning up 1/2 day, and am very proud of myself for that accomplishment.....tho I am starting to run low on some critical items.

There is a Blue Beacon in Columbia, which I will be stopping at on my way to Devils Fork, too.

Spring break has begun, and a lot of young people have come into the campground to enjoy the beach here.

It is indeed a beautiful place.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	258556  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #1982
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
"3rd beach walk of the day, Lily comes back so full of sand it is almost pointless to try to wipe anything off her feet. "

What we do with our two and sand is before they go in the trailer we have a plastic bin, which we fill with fresh water and have them stand in it, wipe the feet off when they get onto our outside mat and then into the trailer. We actually have to do the same here at home as when snow melts our yard turns to a semi swamp. It helps a little anyway.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #1983
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
News bulletin....

To drive a golf cart on the beach here, one must have a handicap tag issued by the DMV.

It makes sense, tho I had rented one for shelling in the remote location during Jane's visit tomorrow...and returned to the Park....before being informed of this by the ranger at the entrance.

It simply didn't occur to me, and the rental place failed to tell me. Full refund issued.

One could easily imagine hordes of golf carts up and down the beach, disturbing the peace and beauty of this place.

We wouldn't want that.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #1984
Rivet Master

Thanks, Maggie...l like your quote above. Nice! Evelyn.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #1985
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Walking on the beach with Lily a bit ago, I was thinking of Doug..... two years ago today, just returning home from Georgia, it was a Friday....

Also have been thinking a lot of how far I have come....I no longer feel like I'm living someone else's life, or that I have put on someone else's coat which just doesn't feel like mine.

It's mine. This life belongs to me now.

I own it, and I'm doing it.

Remembering last year here at this time....walking out onto the beach on March 6th, crying a bit and talking to Doug, this around the time I had called an ambulance, screamed out the door for help, and begun CPR....and there were two starfish, side by side.

Starfish...special to us at Edisto, and which we had talked about many times. A sign? Yes, a sign...for me, from Doug, that he was there.

Another day last year, I believe on March 9th, I found two sand dollars, side by side....also special to us at Edisto. Another sign? Yes.

Two by two, came these signs last year. This year...I found a large starfish here, all by itself, and twice sand dollars, also standing alone.

Today, walking and remembering and thanking Doug for hanging around to help me thru all this, and thinking I haven't had anything that seemed like a sign from him since the TV turned itself on in the night...twice, no less....during the confluence of days in February which were always so significant for him.

Wondering, will I still have signs he is there, now that I am doing so much better?

I then almost stepped on this piece of shell.

Look
at this.

A sign? Yes. . How many hearts did he draw for me over the years, with our initials inside....and I still have every one of them.

He's still here, but...like me...it's different.

I am a lucky woman, to have had this man in my life.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	258589  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #1986
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My daughter has just reminded me that Doug died on March 12th, not March 9th.

I had moved everything back 3 days.

I have already had my anniversary moments, and it isn't even time yet.

I'm sure Doug forgives me.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #1987
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We ramp up for Christmas long before 25 Dec. Surely we can ramp up for mourning just the same, after what is Lent?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #1988
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The sentiment is the same, and that's what matters, doesn't it. Thank you for giving it words.

March 9th was the day he was stricken, and basically died as he never regained consciousness.

I haven't had to write and say the date of his death so many times this past year, or have a memorial bench engraved, or deal with medical bills with an end date of March 12, 2014....I'm feeling a bit chagrined, but refusing to beat myself up over mourning, remembering and thinking of him with love and gratitude...early.

On another note, the 3 small children missing, then found, have apparently been in child services custody/foster care since found and while the investigation into the incident is pending....that seems an appropriate response, to me, given their ages.

Someone was asleep at the switch.

Maggie