Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #2781
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Deb;.

White meat, cooked well and strained, no canned chicken. White rice, NO treats, nothing else at all except water. Best no food first day.

Kennel cough with antibiotics should start to clear up after a couple of days. It's very seldom serious and in most dogs clears up on its own, but it is troublesome and in some can get worse.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #2782
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie and Bud, thank you so much for the info on the chicken and rice dinner. Cooper is such a babe and depends upon us for his well being, and I do the very best I can. He is still laying around much of the time, but last night for a few minutes he picked up one if his balls and played with it -- that was a great sight!

Maggie, wonderful pictures, the first one I saw Lily off in the distance, so when looking at the second I studied it well looking for her there too (almost like a "Where's Waldo"), fun! You are so fortunate to have these wonderful adventures to be enjoying!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #2783
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Brent replaced and re-attached a cabinet piece for me this morning, helped me fill my fresh water tank, and diagnosed the noise I have heard when braking as worn brake pads on the passenger side.

Such nice people, on the Quemado trip last year. I have really enjoyed getting to know them a bit better.

Having just had new tires and a full service 6 weeks ago, how was this missed. Cummins Crosspoint listed on their checklist that the brake shoes were at 50-60%.

Currently at Meineke in Casper, who show me two brake whatever's with no brake pads whatsoever...both on the passenger side, one front and one rear.

Something amiss with the parking brakes, as well.

I want to run screaming into the night....but I am not.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #2784
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Wow!! about the brakes!!!! they must have looked at the drivers side and decided all was well??? great pics.. and totally enjoying your adventure... again!!! hugs and love to you and Lily ....
Old 08-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #2785
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Sorry to hear that about your brakes, I hope it was caught before it got into the rotors.

Deb
Old 08-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #2786
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I meant to also say that if it hasn't gotten into the rotors too far, they can be turned and still used. A benefit of this is not only saving some $$, but the OEM rotors are usually better quality than new ones. However, sometimes the gouges are too deep and you must purchase new rotors. In that case, we normally try to purchase them at NAPA as we feel they are a better quality. However, you may not get to choose where they are coming from if an individual is not doing the work for you.

Deb
Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #2787
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The rear passenger side rotor has to be replaced, that was where it was grinding and the noise I heard was coming from.

The others are okay, but they are replacing all the brakes, all the way around. All show wear, some pieces of pads missing.

The brake sensor light on the dash has always gone off and on, especially after being in sand. It has not been on since I started hearing this noise.

I do, however, have an untrained ear. I could have had a catastrophic accident if I had driven into the Bighorns.

Jeff Hargraves at Meineke in Casper seems to know his stuff, and is doing a write up on the ticket of what they found. NAPA here had all the parts.

I am taking pictures of the removed parts, rather than trying to carry them the next 2+ months til I get home. Rust appeared to have been corroding the glue that holds the pads on.

Brent showed me how to downshift gears on steep inclines, and Jeff here has also explained the importance of that and how to brake properly when going too fast.

I have not been on serious inclines thus far this trip, but have probably not been braking correctly since I have been on my own.

Lily is catching up on her beauty sleep on the cool floor here.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	268471  
Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #2788
Rivet Master

Oh, Maggie, I am so glad Brent diagnosed your brakes problem and you were able to get repair done prior to getting into the high mountains and steep descents! That could have indeed been catastrophic! We will see a few 6-7% grades on our trip to PNW coast, as well.

I always downshift and you must be aware of your speed as you shift from one to another. Your transmission will warn you with a sound, (of a stressing transmission), but, best to avoid that in the first place. Trust me, I have learned my lessons thru trial and error...many moons ago! Glad you will avoid that hard learned lesson!

Say hi to Brent and Connie, Ray and Nancy...for me. Really nice folks. Sad that I was not able to get to know them better. Have a wonderful time. You can regale me with tales of your adventures when we meet at Jackson Hole!? LOL,
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #2789
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was hearing this sound, thought it might have to do with the altitude, thought it could not be the brakes because I had just had everything serviced and checked and new tires put on.

I have such voids in my knowledge base, I wonder sometimes what the hell I am doing out here.

Thinking the service people are checking and looking at everything, when actually they maybe aren't.

I picked up excellent Mexican for dinner and had a large glass of wine. I deserved it.

Spending the night in a WalMart, and heading down the North Platte River tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #2790
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie. It sounds as tho they are taking good care of you, and in my opinion it's a good thing NAPA had the parts.

I'm certain, since they went over so many things regarding braking with you, they probably told you about the warning to listen for when the pads are worn down to a level that they should be checked? It's that annoying screeching sound when you apply the brakes which stops when you let off the brakes. Something similar can happen if there is a small stone in there, but that will wear down and the noise will stop if it is a stone. The idea is that when you start hearing that noise and it is the brake pad wearing down, and you catch it in time, hopefully there haven't been too many gouges worn into the rotors too deeply and the same rotors can continue to be used and not replace them. Even if there are some minor gouges, often you can have a machine shop "turn" the rotors and still reuse that rotor, but this can normally only be done once. Best you try to catch it before the deep gouging begins.

Speaking of how to brake/downshift on various grades; I don't know how to handle this and I wish there was a "school" to attend to learn!

Good Mexican food, sounds great!

Deb
Old 08-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #2791
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The downshifting is very simple with an automatic transmission, and I practiced it yesterday driving from Buffalo to Casper.

I didn't understand the importance of it, and had not done it before yesterday.

It was the brake pads on the passenger side that were severely worn, tho those on the driver's side were also degraded, so I suspect the Cummins tech looked at perhaps one on the driver's side, left it at that and called it good.

I don't blame them for the brake failures, but do feel their "thorough coach inspection and checklist" , that included the brakes, should have caught this 6 weeks ago. This didn't just happen.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and speak with the head honcho, then email the pics I took of the removed parts and the invoice which details what Meineke found. They need to know.

Jeff Hargraves at Meineke in Casper was extremely knowledgeable and very articulate, and showed and explained everything to me. He exuded confidence, competence, and capability, and I went online and did a review for them...the right thing to do. I appreciated landing in their hands...Brent had recommended Meineke, but I don't believe had personal experience with them.

While Jeff's men were working, in between him checking on things, ordering and receiving parts, etc., Jeff and I talked DNA and genealogy, and shared stories of finds...he as avid and interested as I.

I read in bed for several hours last night, after we got settled in here and me finding the 12volt extension cord I had bought years ago.... so that my depleted IPad could be charged while I read. Handy little item.

I didn't sleep very well, tho....partly the stress of the day's events, also the incessant yapping of a small dog in one of the vehicles nearby. That "I'm alone and I don't want to be" kind of yapping, not the distress and injured kind of yapping...which would have gotten me out of bed in the night.

When I put Lily out this morning, I donned robe and took flashlight to investigate. What looked like a miniature Sheltie, in the back of a horse trailer, scratching and yapping to be let out. It must have been exhausted, this going on for hours.

I knocked on the small window of the sleeping compartment, a young man answered, and I told him his dog had been barking all night and he needed to get it and take care of it. He did.

Silence, but a bit too late for me.

Another day, yesterday behind me, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

Maggie
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #2792
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doing labs in the morning here in Casper, so sprung for an expensive-for-me site at the Fort Casper Campground....which is basically a gravel parking lot with hookups, but they gave me a full hookup site at the price of electric only, as that was all I needed but the FHU was the closest they could get me to the bathhouse.

They also allow check in anytime after 11am checkout, bathrooms are clean and well maintained....very hospitable and user-friendly campground.

We spent the morning hanging out in a shady spot in the Museum parking lot near here, where Lily had her second run of the day and I started a new book.

The cyclists were zipping around til fairly late at WalMart, then started up early again this am, and then there was the little dog yapping most of the night...time to get out of there, and I will hopefully sleep better tonight as I feel as if I didn't at all last night.

Maggie
Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #2793
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I contacted the service manager where the Interstate was serviced 6 weeks ago, told him of the brake issue, and sent the invoice and pictures so he can review their practices or whatever. He was receptive and responsive, and now knows.

Got blood drawn, filled the propane and headed east out of Casper to take a look at the North Platte River. Where you can get close to it, it is lovely and tree lined.

There is free camping for up to two nights at the pretty little city park in Douglas, where we have pulled into a shady spot til tomorrow. No hookups, but water, a dump station, and showers.

Maggie
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #2794
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hi Maggie,
I enjoyed the trip west a lot this year so I enjoy hearing where you & Maggie are! Give her a good scratch for me. We are going to Devil's Fork State Park soon so will try my best to post pictures (not sideways) once we are there. The dogs love going to this park. We will also take our boat so we'll really get to enjoy the lake.

Safe Travels!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #2795
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Devils Fork was a find, Jane, and Lily did her first real swimming there.

Have a great time!

We spent a quiet and peaceful afternoon and evening at this little city park in Douglas, half dozen or so big rigs in here with me and lots of folks coming by to use the dump station...also free.

A very nice service they offer to travelers here. Going to poke around town a bit before we leave this morning, and see if there is a place that can entice me to part with some money.

Another free city park in Wheatland, right on my way, and this one has some electric sites, so that is my destination for tonight.

Going to settle into Laramie on Wednesday, I've decided.

Moving every day begets an eventual need to "be still", and there are some prep things I need to do for the GWA that are best done in this manner.

Others are on their way...

Maggie
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #2796
Rivet Master

Maggie, I read your posts daily. I find your long trip west very interesting. Maybe one day I will be such an experienced traveler, tho I have doubts of so far as you have gone.

The PNW trip will certainly get me off to a good start! Safe travels. Evelyn.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #2797
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Truthfully, if Doug and I had not spent 6 1/2 years traveling around the country in the Interstate, I doubt it is something I would have started on my own at 65.

It was our life, tho, and returning to travel was part of going on without him, as I'm not ready for an at home life of Bingo and the Senior Center.

I'm grateful every day to be able to go and do, see the country, visit friends, meet new people, that I am.

Made a stop at Safeway in Douglas for a few groceries and diesel fuel at a good price. Doug carried a Safeway card from the one in Prescott, Arizona, which he frequented when he went to Gunsite.

I am so very uninterested in cooking most days, tho I do have spurts , but found some fresh artichoke ravioli that will soon be cooking....with fresh pesto sent by my friend, Val, that will be yummy and feed me a couple of times.

I had mapped out a route to Wheatland this morning that was mostly off the highway and would take me by the Platte, but soon out of town road construction signs began and then the pavement ended for as far as I could see.

Turned around, got on 25 and was settled into the city campground here by 11:30. . Nothing exciting, but free, with electricity and plenty of room for Lily to run and romp.

There is a donation tube, where I will leave a little something tomorrow.

Going to crochet, read, walk Lily, and make a list of things I need to have done by Saturday morning.

Maggie
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #2798
Rivet Master

I agree re: little ambition to cook, especially as hot as it has been. Deb and I have been having mostly salads, sandwiches, etc. I have been splurging a few times and order take out from Olive Garden....which gives enough for 2 meals between the pasta entre and salad.

The same applies to meals in Goliath, without the Olive Garden takeouts. I am packing some Progresso soups, as well as pasta and jar alfredo and marinara sauces for cooler temps this fall.

I completed the task of cutting down the memory foam pad for my sofa/bed, using a retractable utility knife, using the excess for the pillow covers matching the comforter. (Waste not)! Changed sheets....nice and fresh.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #2799
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily has had two more walks, and....as the little park was empty , went with me on a bike ride.

She loves to run alongside of me, sweet thing that she is, but she is now a pooped pup.

Finished another book, a Clifford Irving...love those crime mysteries.

On to Laramie tomorrow...and I need to remember to buy bear spray.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #2800
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of different storm systems passed over our campsite yesterday afternoon and evening, one spitting out some hail, one a few spatters of rain...only enough to gum up the dust on the Interstate ...but lots and lots of high wind.

Yikes! Felt like 50-60 mph, the skies were very dark, and I'm thinking they don't have tornadoes in Wyoming, do they? Serious...wind....

Dumped the tanks this morning, refilled the fresh water and had a beautiful drive across Hwy 34 to pick up the road to Laramie. Saw a herd of elk, one of antelope, and one of horses. Very little traffic, pretty much had the road to myself.

Found the WalMart in Laramie, and a car wash with a truck bay, then stopped at Plains Tire on my way thru town....who checked the pressure in my tires and tightened the lug nuts...at no charge.

The Laramie KOA let us into our site early, so we are settled in for the next few days, and I am delighted. It seems that I have been driving every day for weeks, and I am ready to be still for awhile.

You can always trust the KOA's to be clean and well kept, too, with all the amenities, which feels like luxury accommodations to me right now.

Not only am I still, but temps are about 20 degrees cooler. I am having a cup of coffee, rather than iced tea, and watching the news for the first time in longer than I can remember.

Lily will be happy to not be driving for a few days, tho she couldn't be a better traveler...watches me lovingly from the passenger seat, just happy to be wherever her momma is.

Maggie

« No Game Changer | Top | - »