Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #2761
Rivet Master

Pretty bottle. I imagine the wine was good, since you bought 2. I haven't heard of Sun Garden....where is it made?

Your windshield cover is on outside....mine is inside and very heavy & unwieldy to put on & off. Therefore, it is not being used much, so far. I find it much easier to put a sheet up in back of cabin and stuff the corners into the sliding doors above, providing privacy.

You seem to be having a great trip. Nice that you were able to meet up with some old and new friends. Since you have been on the Airstream circuit so many years, I'm sure you have friends all over the country. Nice benefit of Airstream travel, yes?

Travel on, be safe. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #2762
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm sitting outside in the shade, and there is a nice breeze....very large fish are jumping out of the water below me.

I can't catch a view of them, just hear the big splash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	268238  
Old 08-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #2763
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I'd have bought the wine just for the bottle!!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #2764
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a beautifully colored bottle.

This is made in Germany, distributed in the US. It was really delicious, and very reasonably priced.

When I asked the waitress if any was for sale, Bud piped up and asked about a discount off the bottle price on the menu...which was given, at 25%. Thank you, Bud.

We had a leisurely afternoon here, crocheting and fiddling with my ukulele.

The flies were a bit of a nuisance, but there was a nice breeze and it is an absolutely beautiful spot, so I did not care too much.

When I closed the Interstate up for the evening, I turned the vent fan on, but it was so cool by this morning I have turned it off and closed the windows.

The family down the way who were here all afternoon, swimming and playing in the water, left and so we were the only ones in this campground.

I could be afraid...but, I am not.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #2765
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This was the view from my chair outside at last nights site.

You can't really tell from the photos, but this site is on a rocky outcropping over the lake....probably 20 feet or so to the surface of the water. Really lovely and peaceful.

I took Lily down to play a bit in the water yesterday...calling on my inner mountain goat, and successfully maneuvering down and back up. The water was cool and clear, so I did a bit of wading, too.

I was sorely tempted at dusk last evening to return to the water, to go...."swimming".

No one here, after all, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Lily had a couple of good runs, including chasing off deer who seemed to have no idea what she was....but when she headed toward them, they skedaddled.

Doing the usual pre-departure tasks this morning, I discovered one of the strings to a day/night shade in a rear window had snapped.

Stopped at a couple of RV places in Gillette, and called another in Sheridan, who didn't have the kits nor could squeeze me in to fix it any time in the foreseeable future...their busy season, don'tcha know...so I pulled out some Joe's Sticky Stuff, which I have carried around for years, and stuck the blind up in place til I can get a string kit and fix it.

Joe's is the stickiest, gummiest stuff you have ever seen, and will hold almost anything to almost anything else. Should keep it up for the time being, tho is rather unattractive.

I need to be on a phone conference in the morning, so have selected an out of the way spot in the WalMart et al lot in Gillette, and we will stay here tonight.

Already a dozen or so rigs in various places here, undoubtedly because of the high prices the campgrounds are getting as we approach Bike Week.

Yikes.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	268305  
Old 08-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #2766
Rivet Master

You are brave, Maggie! I prefer to have a neighbor or two...just because. But, like you, I would not have moved on just because someone else had!

Lock up tight, keep the Air Horn and mace handy...to make me feel safe!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #2767
Rivet Master

Maggie, that site looks lovely. I see why you chose it. You find some of the neatest camp sites. Share your secret?

I had Mikki out for a walk this morning...cloudy, breezy. She has on a bright pink harness and was buzzed by a couple of humming birds. Before she knew what was happening...they were gone! My main concern was a flock of 6 hawk patrolling looking for breakfast. I kept Mikki close, as I watched the skies. I did not think Hawks travelled in groups...but, there they were, and rather big ones at that!

Travel safe. Evelyn.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #2768
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use the AllStays app almost exclusively, Evelyn, and sometimes the Passport America app.

They're just easy, and I'm not terribly picky unless I am looking to stay somewhere awhile...overnights are just the best available.

As for this one being so special, that was just luck.

I sat outside in my robe and jammies this morning, drinking my coffee and watching a single bald eagle over the lake.

It was a great site.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #2769
Rivet Master

Thanks Maggie. I have the Allstays app, tho, not the Passport app.

Hummingbirds came around to buzz Mikki this afternoon....she looks at them as they flitter away, then looks to me with a really confused look on her face, as if......what are those things ?!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #2770
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Dutch Oven Green Chili Enchilada recipe

OK. I'm finally home.

As promised...

Dutch Oven Green Chile, Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas

recipe submitted by Victoria Serna from Denton, TX
Ingredients

16 corn tortillas 
3 large chicken breasts, shredded 
3-4 cups spinach (or kale, chard, greens) 
1 pkg Neufchatel cheese [similar to cream cheese] (softened) 
1 can diced green chiles 
1 28oz can green chile enchilada sauce 
1/2 cup shredded cheese 
1 large zip-loc bag 
1 12-inch dutch oven
At Home Steps:
• Cook your chicken in any method you choose so it can be shredded. I usually bake or boil it, but I have tried cooking it in a pan on the stove. Baking it makes it much easier to shred, in my opinion. Shred the chicken and set aside.
• Place a pan over the stove on medium-low heat. Add the shredded chicken, Neufchatel cheese, spinach (chard, kale, or other veggies), and diced green chiles to a pan.
• Cook on medium-low heat until all of the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted, usually 5-7 minutes. Let the mixture cool. (Tip: add the cheese in small chunks)
• Once mixture is cool, use a spatula to put all of it in a gallon-size zip-loc bag. You can easily put this in your cooler until you're ready for dinner at the campsite. You'll need to take the other items so you can make the meal at the campsite.
• Don't forget: the can of sauce, a can-opener, a dutch-oven (been there, forgot that), shredded cheese, tongs, a spatula, a lighter, charcoal (or wood), and a leather glove for handing hot tools. Take the tools you need to have a comfortable meal!
At the Campsite Steps:
• Light enough coals to heat your dutch oven to approximately 350 degrees. We have a 12-inch dutch oven and usually heat enough to have about 14 coals on top and 10 on bottom, give or take.
• Heat the dutch oven on the bottom coals for a few seconds and then pour some sauce straight from the can into the bottom of the oven.
• Place a layer of tortillas at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them as needed. Spread a layer of your chicken and spinach mixture on the first layer of tortillas. Repeat this step twice to have more tortillas in the "casserole" or do this step once to have a more creamy version.
• Cover the enchiladas with a layer of tortillas and pour the remaining sauce into the dutch oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
• Place the lid on the dutch oven, add the coals on top, and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For best results, turn your dutch oven 1/4 turn every 5-7 minutes for more even cooking.
• Use your spatula to serve the enchiladas, and enjoy

NOTES:

7 ounce can plus one 4 ounce can of chopped green chili

10 ounce bag of spinach

Ms. Serna won the Texas Parks and Wildlife camping recipe contest with this one three or so years ago. It's become a favorite with my family.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #2771
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm....spinach. I forgot that when I made this for my MN friends.

Sounds like you had a great trip, Mimi...now on to your next project.

Maggie
Old 08-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #2772
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I have been known to forget the spinach in that recipe, and it's almost as good without it. I guess it does add some nutrition, though.

It was a great trip. Meeting you and Lily was one of the highlights.

We got to try several new ways to manage the systems in the Airstream, and all worked out well. I ended up hauling water at Oshkosh and taking my blue tank to the dump station a few times, because the fill and dump service was very expensive--$30 per fill and the same per dump. Call me cheap, but I'll haul water and pull a blue tank behind the truck for that kind of money. We got by nicely on one six-gallon container a day, shower and all.

The only real challenge started when the air conditioner in my truck quit along about Emporia, Kansas yesterday afternoon. We had to open windows and do it the old fashioned way, including a very early start this morning to take advantage of the cool part of the day. Fortunately, we'd reached a part of the country where the humidity is low, so it wasn't too bad.

Blackie and I are native Texans. We know how to survive this sort of thing. The truck will go to the shop on Monday, after it's unloaded. My little Smart will be enough transportation for the weekend, and its air conditioner is working fine.

Enjoy Wyoming. I love that part of the country.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 AM   #2773
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Enjoyed meeting you and Blackie, too, Mimi.

Interesting to watch our two dogs interact so aggressively, tho never touching the other.

I crocheted, fiddled and read away the afternoon, and was down to bed early...for me.

Slept like the dead...sometimes, it just catches up with you.

Going to head for the 24- hour laundry as soon as it is light...

Maggie
Old 08-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #2774
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Maggie! I'm enjoying your trip immensely!

Thank you, Mimi, for the recipe! My family will love it! Our children are Hispanic (Myan Indians from Guatemala -- we adopted, of course, but we forget that fact most of the time, they're just a part of us! They are 38 and 31 yrs., where has the time gone?!).

Not to hijack your thread, but I would greatly appreciate some information from you and/or Bud.......our Cooper, 4 1/2yr. old Goldendoodle came down ill and I need to feed him chicken and rice for a few days. Do you use dark meat or white, do you use brown rice or white, and do you mix in anything else? Thanks so much!

We took him to doggie daycare last Saturday; Sunday evening he began sneezing. I kept thinking he would get better, but yesterday it seemed he took a severe turn for the worse I noticed he wasn't eating, last evening he started coughing, and wouldn't go out to potty at bedtime. I got up at about 3 am to check on him and take him out, I noticed he was wheezing after getting his 1/2 treat from pottying, I panicked. Yesterday, I got prepared just in case and asked the manager for the name of a good vet. I called that number and the recording (3:30am) gave the name of an animal hospital about 30 mins. from here, so we loaded him up and I drove him there. The vet prescribed antibiotics for one week and "chicken/rice" for several days. She thinks he has kennel cough but since he had been vaccinated for it, it shouldn't be as severe. He also had an elevated temp and sore throat. Could have gone into flu and dogs can get pneumonia, and he'd lost 6 lbs! He is down to 80 lbs.

Thank you both.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #2775
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Also, not to hijack Maggie's thread, but I'd advise you to watch Cooper carefully and get in touch with a vet if he doesn't improve quickly. From what I've heard, this dog flu can be nasty, even when the animal is hospitalized and getting the best of care. I'll help you pray it's just kennel cough.

There is a dog flu vaccine now, and Blackie has had two doses of it, recommended by our new vet.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #2776
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thank you Mimi! I am definitely keeping an eye on him, he's just been laying around all day sleeping. Since there is a vaccine out there for dog flu, I would imagine he has had it, but I plan to call our vet at home to make certain. Driving for 30 minutes, just Cooper and me, in a strange environment at around 4am was a little unsettling, but I did it and got him to a vet.

Thank you also for the prayers -- I'd be lost without Coop!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #2777
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hope Cooper is better soon....and dog talk is fine here anytime.

Lily had kennel cough. I caught it early because had been told to watch for it, but she was still pretty sick and it was a couple of weeks before she was really back to normal.

Have spent a nice afternoon with Brent & Connie, and they took us on a drive to one of their favorite spots....Crazy Woman Canyon, thru which runs Crazy Woman Creek.

Beautiful, will post a pic or two tomorrow. I was up early and am tired.

Maggie
Old 08-06-2016, 05:36 AM   #2778
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Crazy Woman Canyon/Creek...beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	268430