Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #1891
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The next time you're in a place that sells hardware, buy a cheap canvas nail apron. Two pockets and long strings to tie around your waist. Perfect for dog treats and/or equipment.
That's a good suggestion, Mimi, tho I have never been a fanny pack person. Never owned a single one.

If the leash correction continues to work, I will probably stay with that. I don't treat her every time I praise her, regardless.

One of her many redeeming qualities is an extreme desire to please me...thank goodness.

When I have her loose on the beach, I have to watch her to keep her out of the dunes, because she really, badly wants to roam around in there....no, no, no, Lily.

She creeps back toward them, but comes when I call her and seldom do I have to head her direction with my "you are in big trouble, girl!" tone of voice.

I am consistent with her....the most durable behavior being that which is intermittently reinforced, you know....but probably not as strict as I could be.

Maggie

Old 03-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #1892
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks, my two are terrific dogs, yellow is almost five we have had her since October and black is 2-1/2 had her since a puppy. They are about as balanced as I can get them, so they serve as good examples, most of the time - after all they are dogs, good days and not so good days.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #1893
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Beach time.
I love that idea!
For me, next year, maybe.
It would be fun for you to join me here, Mimi. You would love it.

I have just reserved Feb 26-March 13 of 2017, and the two weeks immediately preceding at JICP...taking advantage of their 30% discount for a week or more in January and February.

I like discounts. . Never pay full price for anything you don't have to....spend less, do more.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #1894
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Thanks, my two are terrific dogs, yellow is almost five we have had her since October and black is 2-1/2 had her since a puppy. They are about as balanced as I can get them, so they serve as good examples, most of the time - after all they are dogs, good days and not so good days.
And, you know, unless they are broken...which some are ...consistency coupled with love, affection, and the meeting of basic needs will give you back in spades more unconditional love and devotion than any other living thing...spouses, included.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #1895
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
You're ahead of us in a few areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That's a good suggestion, Mimi, tho I have never been a fanny pack person. Never owned a single one.

If the leash correction continues to work, I will probably stay with that. I don't treat her every time I praise her, regardless.

One of her many redeeming qualities is an extreme desire to please me...thank goodness.

When I have her loose on the beach, I have to watch her to keep her out of the dunes, because she really, badly wants to roam around in there....no, no, no, Lily.

She creeps back toward them, but comes when I call her and seldom do I have to head her direction with my "you are in big trouble, girl!" tone of voice.

I am consistent with her....the most durable behavior being that which is intermittently reinforced, you know....but probably not as strict as I could be.

Maggie
Blackie is still prone to charge out the door or gate and run off to tour the neighborhood on her own. We need to work on that, big time.

I have had dogs who, like Lily, were abandoned on their own before we found them. No way were those dogs going to run off and leave us. We didn't even fence them in, back in the day when this place was pretty much in the country. Once a dog has known true hardship, they place great value on a home and a good owner.

Blackie was surrendered to the pound by previous owners, and never knew that lost and hungry feeling. The "come" command works when we're in the yard, but is useless when she's excited about seeing something new.

Bud, I'd appreciate your advice, if you're reading this.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #1896
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Edisto is a little far for me, the way I'm thinking right now. And, all the spots will be gone before I make up my mind. Maybe it's year after next..., but I like your idea.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #1897
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It would be a long ways for you....

There are beautiful beaches in Texas, Louisiana, and Southern Mississippi, and not nearly so far.

Edisto, however, is the best beach campground.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #1898
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
One step at a time is all I can do right now. I have a bunch of stuff to do here, as I plan to re-locate, probably twice, in the near future. Plan is to sell this house, move to a second home we've had for years, about 60 miles from here, for long enough to re-organize, then move somewhere near where younger daughter lives in Bryan, TX.

Since winter doesn't motivate me to leave home, the first long trips will be in the hot part of the summer. North.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #1899
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #1900
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, you make getting away sound so inviting! Can't wait until retirement when we can come and go at our will!

I feel as you do about beer -- perhaps that is why I haven't tried it yet. Although, I believe my friend meant that a very small amount of beer is to be added to a glass of wine to "cut" the sweet taste, she said you can't taste the beer. When it is extremely warm outside, and I have an iced mug, a half beer tastes good, but that is the extent of beer drinking for me. However, I do enjoy a glass of good wine in the evening. On the first Friday of each month, we have a group of friends who meet at a local winery for a few hours -- that is whoever can make it, it varies from month-to-month. We get to catch up on what everyone has been doing and just enjoy our friendships.

Outside rugs -- we use one when the campground allows it; we have been to a few which didn't. You are so right, they do help a great deal with keeping the inside of our trailer clean.

By the way, does Edisto SP allow dogs on the beach all year long? We went to Edisto five years ago or so and enjoyed it so much, but that was before "our boy", Cooper, came into our family. The only thing which we didn't enjoy about it was that we were in the overflow area down the road. We were there in May.

Deb
Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #1901
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like to have 3-4 ounces of wine most evenings....part of my transition to the end of the day. I like it.

I have nearly finished the bottle I opened and en-Platypus'd last week....will open my next with the wine opener of her Mother's that Mimi sent me, which was waiting here at Edisto when I arrived.

I am not aware of any seasonal or other restrictions on pets at Edisto, but for the usual leash requirement....tho that is bent for brief periods in alone areas of the beach by many of us. Let them run and romp and play in the water a bit, then leash them back up and go back to your campsite.

A lot of people seem to leave their dogs loose at their site, tho not me, as Lily would be in the road, confronting every dog that walked by.

I suspect the weekends will be very busy with children and families, as it is getting warmer, but early morning is nearly empty, regardless, and there are always a few of us out letting our dogs do what dogs love to do.

I love this place.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #1902
Rivet Master

Good morning Maggie,
I'll bet you could crochet a little something for Lily's treats...like a little cross body bag!

I envy you for your time on that lovely beach. It does sound heavenly. I hope to have some nice experiences on Oregon beaches, although we are not on the beach, as you are. I so look forward to this trip.....and to meeting you and Lily. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #1903
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn,

This is, indeed a beautiful place.

I can crochet baskets, bowls, and rugs, so could surely make a bag....if I really wanted a bag... to wear around my waist.

Oregon will be great fun, Evelyn, and we will be on the coast if not on the beach.

Can probably find some beaches out there to walk, if we want....Gail will know, and she will be our guide.

Beaches on the west coast are equally beautiful, just different.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #1904
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
A cross body pretty little bag for phone, Interstate key and treats. Sounds nice.....I like go be hands free also when walking.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote