Old 02-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #1779
Rivet Master

So creative and functional. Sorry your getting cold temps. We are currently experiencing warmer than usual temps, but, we won't get too used to it. Spring is a long way off for us.

Have you found many pretty sea shells? Your idea to use some for candle containers is interesting. When you do, take a photo to show us, please. Stay warm in the meantime. E.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #1780
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I picked up a few shells the first trip to BeachWalker, tho not suitable for candles, and none since then.

Edisto is the place for shells.....large, deep, beautiful ones that I made candles from last year.

Maggie

Old 02-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #1781
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
-27 up here in the great white north. I need one of those hand protectors for my ci pan.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #1782
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll have some in Wyoming.....some pretties, but mostly in dark, man colors.

I've just finished "Such Good Girls". A really good book.

The last story in this book is about a tiny bear one of these children carried with her since 1944, through her years of hiding....in plain sight, posing as Catholic....and which she named "Refugee".

She wanted to throw it away, but her grown children insisted she keep it, as a tangible reminder of her survival, and of the strength and courage of the mothers who saved their children during this terrible time.

"When they would hold Refugee in the future, they would be holding what their mother held, as her mother led her slowly out of hell."

This 3" high bear was eventually donated to the Holocaust Museum and was replicated for sale in the gift shop.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #1783
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the things about beach campgrounds...you can walk on the beach before you have even finished your morning coffee.

Still pretty chilly this morning....but, it is the beach, and Lily is a happy girl.

Having trouble getting rid of the slight, but annoying, side-to-side list....front-to-back is good, but I haven't found the perfect spot for the wheels in order to eliminate the tilt.

Not a deal breaker, but it needs to go, as I don't plan to drive again til the weekend.

May need to enlist the aid of a friendly neighbor.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #1784
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie,

Got a chance to bake a couple of DO (outdoor) loaves of bread this weekend and ended up nice but a little doughy in the middle.

On the second loaf we baked we preheated the DO better and baked a little longer. The crust got nice and crunchy but the middle was still a little doughy.

Does that point to anything familiar to you that I am doing wrong.

I'll ask on the cast iron thread also but thought I'd check with you first.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #1785
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm....

You have to preheat your DO, giving it a good 15 minutes in the oven or while your charcoal readies.

Get in and out of your DO quickly, as every second you have the lid off you rapidly lose heat inside.

Don't open it to look at it until it is time to set your lid ajar, or take it off in a convention oven. Again, keeping the heat in is critical.

After your 40-45 minutes, allowing any adjustment for weather, etc., wanting a thoroughly browned loaf, be sure to let the bread cool completely...several hours...before cutting into it.

This is a different bread dough than the traditional, and the center will seem a bit doughy if you cut it too early. If you must have a slice before it is thoroughly cooled, slice off the end and leave the rest to finish cooling before slicing.

There is a difference between "doughy" and feeling slightly moist or tacky when you touch your finger to the center slices.

If actually uncooked "dough", and you have done everything else correctly, sounds like you may have used too much water. I have never had this problem with this bread, probably because the intense heat cooks it all the way thru, regardless.

If it just feels slightly tacky when you touch it, especially when just baked, that is typical for this bread that steams in your DO. If it is porous and not "doughy", it is probably done.

Hard to tell without seeing the bread, but try the above things and let me know. Perhaps do one in your home oven and see if you get the same results.

I have kept dough in my frig ever since I left, doing a pan bread 2-3 times a week for breakfast. Yum.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #1786
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Maggie,

I would say maybe more tacky than doughy.

We will continue to work on the preheating stage.

Will also get better at "letting it rest" as this is an area we are not do good at. When at a rally dinner often starts at 5 so I need to be better about back tracking my timing.

I'm also going to try and premix a few dry ingredient bags at home. This time I forgot my regular measuring devices and used my camping measuring cups in the dark by flashlight.

Thx

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #1787
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I did a loaf for a rally last year, and those who insisted on slicing it while warm also were concerned the bread was not done.

It was done, just not cooled as long as it should have been.

When I do a loaf at home, unless it is for guests I almost always want a piece before it has thoroughly cooled.

I just take the crusty end, and leave the rest alone.

I try to have bread for a rally baked by about 2pm, giving it plenty of time to cool before I slice it up to serve.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #1788
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Okay good tips.

We thought ours was done time wise.

Maybe if we had let it rest properly it would have continued its own internal baking or firming.

Also more precise measuring. I'm a throw together cook and have to remind myself that baking gives you amounts and measurements for a reason.

Note to self: don't assign yourself bread duties for breakfast unless you bake it the day before.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #1789
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You need to measure things like salt, yeast and liquids precisely for yeast breads, but the exact amount of flour may vary by a couple of tablespoons, depending on your weather.

Practice will help you get it just right, and most results are edible.

Baking the night before for breakfast is a great idea....while sitting around the campfire, then let it sit to cool overnight.

Hmmm......I envision the cranberry, orange, pecan loaf....sliced thickly and perhaps toasted briefly on a long fork over a morning fire...butter...yum!

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #1790
Rivet Master

Maggie,that cranberry, orange, pecan loaf sounds YUMMY!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #1791
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is delicious....one of the variations of this basic recipe that I came up with and, with Doug, tested at home before we ever did anything with the charcoal.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #1792
Rivet Master

Maggie, I don't usually bake, but, that sounds tempting. Could it be done in an oven and in a dark stainless loaf baking pan? If so, will you share your specific recipe when we get together in August? Does it call for cinnamon? A bit of honey, maybe?