Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #2501
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That hat would fit best a person with a large, cone shaped head.

I'll find something to do with it, or someone who can wear it. I did enjoy making it.

It's been a very nice, relaxed day here at Moraine View.

We have some lovely new first timers, plus the old crowd...some of whom have been coming for the 14 years this rally has been going on.

We talked...and talked...and talked...ate a bit, did our respective needlework, and had a great potluck.

Hot, but a good breeze off the lake kept things pretty comfortable in this part of the campground.

Tomorrow, many will head home, some of us will stay til Monday....starting and ending this rally as a small group.

Maggie
Old 06-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #2502
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been a great rally....good people and conversation, great food, very relaxing.

Heading home later this morning, service at Cummins scheduled for tomorrow, tires to get replaced, etc., etc.

Yesterday morning I discovered my IPad was not charging.

Careful inspection revealed the charging connection point inside the IPad has been broken somehow. Boo.

Carelessness on my part, no doubt.

We have a place in Bloomington that may be able to fix it...if not, it will have to be sent in to the Apple Store.

I do have a laptop at home, and the phone, to keep me connected, but I will miss my Mini for whatever period it is out of service.

All is well here, been a very nice time in a familiar and beautiful spot.

Maggie
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #2503
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stopped at Connecting Point in Bloomington, and they fixed my IPad...while I waited.

I wanted to weep with joy.

Not broken, but "gunk" in there, that they took out with some sharp and pointy tool that I would never think of putting to it myself.

Maggie
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #2504
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah for good service and for staying connected

Not being techy or social media myself it has amazed me how attached I've become to my tablet and Android smart phone. I really like both of them and likely don't use either to capacity.

So many things to look up and get informed about.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #2505
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For inquiring minds, and you know who you are, I will have an IPhone 6s delivered to my door tomorrow.

I will be in the loop.

Verizon has a great deal right now on an accessory package, which is an Otterbox case, 3 screen protectors, and a Smart Chip car charger for $49.95... and they then waive the $40 upgrade fee.

What a deal.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #2506
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry is done up...it was an absolutely perfect day yesterday to hang things outside, and there is nothing to compare to the scent of line dried anything.

I'm catching up on the news, after the long weekend with very little, and am horrified as I learn the details of the shooting in Orlando.

My heart goes out to them all.

I do wish the news outlets would stop giving these dementors such coverage, as I really feel this only feeds those out there who would do such deranged harm to others.

There needs to be a balance between providing coverage of incidents and promoting individual notoriety by plastering names and faces everywhere.

Took the Interstate out to Cummins Crosspoint for what they call their "full coach service"...they dropped me off back at home, will fully service the engine, and also have propane at $1.82 a gallon, so will top that off while its up there!

Who knew? I am so delighted!

Called Don Owen and ordered new tires...I only need 3 this time, as I lost and had replaced that one last summer ...those in place later this week will have me ready to go for rest of season travel.

I'm starting to get psyched about KY & TN beginning next week, seeing mimiandrews, and then the trip west....I'm ready to get on the road and start meandering.

My friend in northern MN now has my prettiest chalcedony rose from last summer, and is doing a light polish on them in her rock tumblr before I see her next month.

Am wanting to have a few of these made into pendants for the girls and grand girls in the family, so am hoping this does enough without losing their very special character.

Not much going on here...lots of odd bits to do before I take off again, but everything seems to be falling into place.

I complain at times, but can't really complain...ya know? Life could be much, much worse, and I have so much to be grateful for.

I still work to reframe my thinking from I'm alone to I'm traveling by myself, and it's okay . Still a work in progress.

I do feel and believe that Doug remains my life co-pilot....encouraging me, supporting me, providing a bit of guidance, and nudging me a bit when I need it....but I so badly miss his companionship and the 24 hour balancing act that his sage advice and wisdom provided for so many years.

Life. He would want me to go on, and I am.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #2507
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Amazing Miss Emma, (the one with the sashaying hair) knocking out a dance contest at a recent church function (she won)...

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	264477  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #2508
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And her equally amazing bro Camden, hula-ing at same function (he won, too)...

Doesn't he look like Harry Potter?

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	79
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	264478  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #2509
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not bad for my first attempt.

I have enough broken shells pulled from the rock bed to do probably 6 more of these, so think I just shall, and can intersperse them with these.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	264481  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #2510
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This would be me...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	89
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	264507  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #2511
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just when everything was going so smoothly...ran a couple of errands this morning, then arrived at the tire place early enough to get the new tires installed and me home before the heat index hit 100 degrees here.

2 1/2 hours later, they are giving me and my groceries a ride home because a bolt? broke, they couldn't fix it and they must replace the axle. ???

I didn't really understand it, but parts had to be brought in from Peoria. It should be ready in the morning.

The service guy was very apologetic, and I decided it was today's lesson in patience.

So, puttered around the house, stayed inside and out of the heat, and began pulling things together to leave late next week.

I decided at Moraine View this past weekend that I needed a new camp chair and a new phone...an IPhone, no less, my first.

Both are now in my hands, and I have a red/grey Coleman camp chair very similar to yours, Mike, handles and all....tho no table attached.

I wrote my name on it, with permanent Sharpie.

A bit firmer and higher off the ground than my old one....better for my back and the down/up process for an aging woman.

And that's the news for today.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #2512
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just got the Interstate home. 1 1/2 days after I took it in just for new tires.

Vehicle-less, I got a ride to and from Needlework group this afternoon...I won't be there again for months, so glad I didn't have to miss it as I really enjoy those ladies and especially wanted to tell the genealogy divas about my 23andMe results.

The staging area is beginning to fill by the front door, for serious summer travel which begins next Thursday.

Got ferry reservations made to/from the friends on Orcas island I will be visiting before the Shirley Valentine gathering, and firmed up plans to see some other fellow travelers while I am in the Seattle area.

It's been a busy day, but most of it was spent inside the house.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #2513
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Maggie, I know I sound like a broken record on this subject, but get the lug nut torque checked on a regular schedule after someone has worked on your wheels. You were very fortunate that wheel came off at low speed a while back. Take no chances.

When we meet, I'll show you how I do it. I do find a lug nut loose once in a while, so I'm convinced it's worth the five minutes of effort it takes.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #2514
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Mimi.

Don Owen makes you initial their expectation that you have the lug nuts checked after 50 miles of driving, post tire rotation, and I do that.

I also go into a Firestone dealer periodically when traveling, to have pressure checked, etc.....and I will add the lug nuts to that. A dealer will do this at no charge to me, too.

I know I should probably learn to deal with tires myself, but I just don't want to.

It's dirty, and I have to get down on the ground.

Be happy to have you show me, tho.

I am emptying my own holding tanks, after all.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #2515
Rivet Master

Maggie and Mimi,
I see there is another task I need to add to my routine....checking lug nuts. I'll check with a local tire shop to see if they can do that and check tire pressures in all6 tires before my long fall trip. Thanks for the tip!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #2516
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whatever brand of tires are on your Interstate, Evelyn, those dealerships will usually service your tires for free.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #2517
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got the little house scrubbed and put to rights yesterday, and more items pulled to go out to the Interstate.

Son and his will be here today for lunch at Grandma's house, with temps moderate enough that we can sit outside on the patio and the kids can romp in the yard.

Heat and humidity were so high here for awhile, neither woman nor beast could stand to be out in it for very long.

Summer in the Midwest.

Have had a couple of requests for sharing of DNA on 23andMe, and decided yesterday to just do "open sharing" there...for any of my DNA relatives on that site to access and determine how we are linked.

This site lays out the linkages differently, listing provided surnames for each relative so that one can quickly narrow a search.

It is pretty fascinating, and I have found one relative who lists the...misspelled at the time...last name of my great-uncle who died at Antietam.

We have never even known where he was born or when, nor had any information that he ever married or had children. After their mother and 12 siblings died before emigration from Germany, or of yellow fever in New Orleans, their father sent these last two young boys to live with relatives.

I've never even been able to determine where this great-uncle lived prior to enlisting in the Washington Artillery during the Civil War...unlike my great-grandfather, who may have been quite a bit older and where there is a plethora of information in census and other public records.

A very sobering outcome of this testing, and that thru ancestry.com some years ago, is the number of modern day African Americans looking to determine the origin of their non-African ancestry....as DNA results link their enslaved ancestors to my Northern European ones.

How hard it must be to look into the past, and see not only the history of slavery in this country...but to not know where you have come from, who exactly your ancestors were.

That knowledge is so grounding to me, knowing who and where my people were, and something of their lives.

I intend to help those who have reached out to me, because it's the right thing to do.

Perhaps it is reparations of a sort.

It feels a bit that way.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #2518
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I know I should probably learn to deal with tires myself, but I just don't want to.

It's dirty, and I have to get down on the ground.

Not!
I could check lug nut torques in my Sunday best with nary a spot nor a wrinkle as a result. I'll show you how.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #2519
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay.

You can show me how, and I will add this to my knowledge base.

I do have a tire pressure gauge.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #2520
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You may have noticed that I'm a strong advocate of knowing how to do the safety-related stuff for yourself. At least, it enables you to double check the work of those who claim to have done it for you--like the dork who set you up to lose that wheel.

Meanwhile, other news...
Yesterday, I sold the little house John and I shared for almost 50 years, and I've nearly completed getting my stuff out to the second home in the country. The work of cleaning out all that stuff that John put away "in case we need it later" and getting moved has been overwhelming. The buyers are very kindly giving me this weekend to get the last things out.

Unpacking has had to wait until moving is complete, so Blackie and I are living in a small house filled with boxes and badly arranged furniture. The peace and quiet of being out in the country is worth all the hassle, though, and the sale price of the house should fund the building of my dream home.

So, I envy you (playing with grandkids) and Evelyn (camping with the Boondocking School group) from afar right now, and am really looking forward to my trip north next month. Until then y"all have fun for me.