Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #1737
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
So glad to see you & Lily have been going to Beachwalker park. Isn't it a great dog beach? It is strange there ar no shells there though.

Where did you order the canisters? I.d like some for my trailer. When are you headed to Huntington Beach? That is a great park, the area is nice, & only about an hour & half drive from Folly.

Jane

Old 02-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #1738
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane!

Beachwalker is great, and I have shared its location with every dog walker here that I have seen.

I had thought about taking the Interstate down there one day this next week, hanging out for most of a day, but the weather looks like it is going to be inhospitable for that, so I think not. We'll see.

These are Zevro 3 Canister Cereal Dispensers, which I ordered from Webstaurant, who had by far the best price.

I am very happy wth them, and they also come in a single canister unit. These are mine, installed.

I will be here another week, heading to Huntington Beach on the 14th for 2 weeks.....then, Edisto.

Hope to see you again, Jane, tho I understand your tax-season obligations.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	256890  

Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #1739
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Today is going to be as cold and rainy as yesterday was sunny, mild and beautiful.

The rain began last night, so Lily is currently in "holding it" mode. Such a wuss she has become.

Walking her early yesterday morning, I noticed lots of Airstreams had pulled in on Friday, most of them in the other loop, with flags flying on at least one. Hmmm.

Out again late morning, I come across John and Susan Leake, and some others familiar from Alumalina.....their WBCCI unit is having a rally here. Good to see them and to visit a bit, tho Lily terrorized one of their dogs.

Just when she seemed to have learned to hold herself in check, she does not....seeming to respond strongly to the temperament of this particular dog...baring her big teeth, barking, snarling and snapping ....in that mode, she looks like a demon dog from a horror movie.... that could and would rip another dog to shreds...and she frightens people unfamiliar with her. Not good.

I'm almost thru my yarn stash, having cranked out a dozen or more heavy duty hats, soon to return to prayer shawls.

I love to crochet...learning was one of the very best things I have ever done for myself.

It's going to be an inside, crochet and tea, day.

Maggie
Old 02-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #1740
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
"Just when she seemed to have learned to hold herself in check, she does not....seeming to respond strongly to the temperament of this particular dog...baring her big teeth, barking, snarling and snapping ....in that mode, she looks like a demon dog from a horror movie.... that could and would rip another dog to shreds...and she frightens people unfamiliar with her. Not good."

Could be the people she is responding to as well as your unfeeling and unknown apprehension. Slip leash, high up just under her ears and a slight, very slight tug to the side might snap her our of the fixation and tell her "it's okay, I've got this". With a dog aggressive dog, especially one on leash it can be a long and involved process and even at that about 75%-80% improvement is all that can be expected.

You are doing fine, but knowing her limitations and keeping her under control - many people simply give up and take the dogs to shelters. Congratulations and stay calm, no matter what. Some ask how I stay calm as a high type A person, I tell them I get into the mode of I don't care what the dog does, I am in control and will take care of it. Most, repeat most dogs accept it and calm down, some do not, bite me instead of the other dog.

Then of course it could just be an off day for Lily - we have them and so do dogs. A good K9 Cop will recognize this and pull his or her dog from shift that day.

Enjoy the cool rainy weather, some of my favorite days to walk the dogs.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #1741
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud.

When we are walking and pass other dogs, I pull her up short and keep her away, which works. I also tell other owners...who want to let their dogs say "Hi"...not to.

Most of the time, if I take her off her leash for a moment, the dogs acknowledge each other quickly and there is no aggression. That didn't happen yesterday....I thought she would be better if I unleashed her for a second, but she was worse.

There was something in that dog, who seemed perfectly friendly and innocuous to me, that she reacted to, I think. Anyway....it was ugly for a minute.

The rain has slowed to a drip, so we are going for our first walk today....she has not been out in 14 hours.

Maggie
Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #1742
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, Bud.

When we are walking and pass other dogs, I pull her up short and keep her away, which works. I also tell other owners...who want to let their dogs say "Hi"...not to.

Most of the time, if I take her off her leash for a moment, the dogs acknowledge each other quickly and there is no aggression. That didn't happen yesterday....I thought she would be better if I unleashed her for a second, but she was worse.

There was something in that dog, who seemed perfectly friendly and innocuous to me, that she reacted to, I think. Anyway....it was ugly for a minute.

The rain has slowed to a drip, so we are going for our first walk today....she has not been out in 14 hours.

Maggie
Our daughter has a Yorkie/Silky Terrier who loves our younger dog Abby, they play when together. I introduced him to our 4.5 year old adopted dog and he immediately bit her, hard. She did not react as I suspected she would not, she was depending on me to protect her and I failed. Sometimes, dogs simply do not like another dog - we may never understand or know why. I suggest keep her on lead, collar or slip leash up around her ears as this is where 'Mom" used to grab her and correct her, and the memory is still there. When she gives any hint of aggression, as I said a slight tug to the side, either side, not back and let it loose a little again. By holding her tight, when approaching another dog your energy and concern passes down the leash and amps her up. As often as possible loose lead, does not have to be long, just not tight.

My dogs do not meet any strange dogs, period. I don't know the other dog or owner, I don't know if the dog has all it's shots etc and the new flu going around is not a good one. So, we do not go to dog parks, we go for 4 mile walks, we train (every day) and we now visit nursing homes, schools and most recently Hospice, now that they are both Therapy Dogs International Certified. These visits are great for control, management and mental stimulation. Tomorrow we start visits to a Veteran Center for PTSD, my real focus with them.

Don't be discouraged, one who adopts never knows what went on before, dogs suffer all degrees of PTSD just like people. It does not have to be war or police related. It can be as simple as being abandoned by previous owner.

Dogs do not have to meet or play with other dogs to be happy and satisfied, just being with the right human(s) is enough.

I apologize again for going on, but in retirement this has become a passion I've always wanted to fulfill. Now off to a church (we are not members of) who wanted to meet some Therapy Dogs and see what they are all about. Then to a Hospice again.

Be Well, give Lily a hug - it's important for owners and dogs.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #1743
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I appreciate your information, Bud.

Lily has never sunk her teeth into dog or human, while I have had her.....but she is fierce looking, and once got bit herself by a dog who had had quite enough, and I think she needed that.

If I didn't hold her tight when leashed and passing another dog, she would lunge for them, snapping and snarling and showing those teeth.

She is worst on her leash, and, as important as it is that she please me, just doesn't seem able to manage that urge.

Just when I feel I have her figured out....I don't.

I perhaps need some time with a dog whisperer....maybe can trade you a couple of handmade pot holders....very nice ones, if I do say so....for a few moments training when I see you this summer.

Hmm? What are your wife's kitchen color preferences?

Maggie
Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #1744
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
I help friends for free, no charge EVER. Does Lily like treats or chicken. One method I taught my wife with a very dog aggressive rescue we had was to use treats to distract. BUT, first do it with no one or no distractions. Just get her to look into your eyes, when you say look or here something you can use every time. Then when she does, a treat. Do this over and over many, many times. Once it's instantaneous then move it outside or distance distractions, over and over gradually closing distance over a period of time. Also, while doing this simply say Lily LOOK while walking, when she does a treat. Gradually her attention will move to you rather than what she fears, being attacked first. What it sounds like is "fear" aggression, I have to attack before I am attacked and it's all done between dogs at distance and very subtle, eye contact is the worst, which is why one tries to distract the dogs eyes to the handler instead of anything else. Give that a try and if not we can move on to other things.

Alice likes yellows and bright happy colors, unlike me she is an optimistic happy person, I'm a realist.

Let me know, almost all dogs go for chicken.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 02-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #1745
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those are great tips, Bud....she maybe has dog PTSD.

She came to us...was found, actually...with some small scars on her muzzle, which looked like bite marks. They were scars, not fresh, and she was 8-9 months old, by the Vet's estimation.

She does seem clearly intent on intimidation, as she doesn't try to hurt other dogs. Dogs seem to "get" her, too...it's their owners she scares.

Some owners, anyway. I have come across many dog owners not the least put off by what she does, which they seem to understand and just attribute to "dog stuff", as I call it.

I see lots of dogs doing what she does, especially those little yippy ones, but I suspect Lily's black color and big teeth are part of the perception problem.

Easier for me to carry a few tiny treats than chicken....I'll let you know how it works.

Also, I give crocheted things away to friends and acquaintances for free, too.

Maggie
Old 02-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #1746
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Also a new and growing trend is to tie a yellow ribbon around her leash, for those who area aware this means not to approach to ask the handler/owner first.

Good Luck

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #1747
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
I am thoroughly enjoying the conversation about dogs. We have a Lili clone called Chloe....black, rescue, alpha female, stubborn, and not the best around other dogs. In addition she is an instigator, encouraging our other dog to get into it with visiting dogs...then she walks away!
At a recent Airstream rally I was in awe of how manageable other dogs were, but I fear we started too late with them.
Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #1748
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pienjim View Post
I am thoroughly enjoying the conversation about dogs. We have a Lili clone called Chloe....black, rescue, alpha female, stubborn, and not the best around other dogs. In addition she is an instigator, encouraging our other dog to get into it with visiting dogs...then she walks away!
At a recent Airstream rally I was in awe of how manageable other dogs were, but I fear we started too late with them.
Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Its never too late, might take a little longer but "old dogs can learn new tricks" and certainly can learn new behaviors. It's what I do as a trainer and volunteer rehabilitator of dogs previously used as fighting dogs or bait dogs in the training of fighting dogs. We can get about 95% of them adoptable (to the right person and family). PM if you have any questions.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #1749
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ran some errands in town this morning, leaving my new canisters in place on the wall....they didn't budge. . Pleased am I.

I inadvertently left home last month without enough soy candles to get me thru this trip....so I picked up what I needed at Hobby Lobby and am going to make new ones in the containers I have.

I made some beautiful candles out of Edisto shells when I got home last year.....if I am lucky, I will find some more shells perfect for such a purpose...for the giveaway table at Alumalina.

I so love this area. Crossing the bridges, all you see are marshes, tiny islands, beautiful old homes, boats...the LowCountry, in all its splendor.

Maggie
Old 02-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #1750
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
good morning there Maggie... how's your weather holding up?? we're having our false spring... was 71 at my house yesterday... ahhh.. but it only last a few days, then back to "normal"... hugs and love to you two...I'm looking forward to the pics of the new candles!!!