Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #2441
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie. I like your little vase and those roses were meant for you! So pretty. My Mom gave me 3 pieces of Amber glass, a month before she passed. She said they belonged to her aunt and was passed down. I think she called it "depression glass"... very simple, but, pretty.

My first peonies have begun to bloom. 3 blossoms of magenta. I have several peony shrubs that are 30-35 years old, and many more....planted 2-3 years ago. I love how showy they are when several are in bloom. Usually, as they are waning, then the roses bloom, followed by the lilies. Love it!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #2442
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The roses otherwise just die on their vines....may as well snatch a few, and enjoy them. The landlord cuts them down late every fall, every spring they are back up and blooming.

I took some fresh ones after walking Lily a bit ago.

Daughter and maahh-ve-lus son in law will be home next weekend from NYC for the annual summer extended family gig...always for the past 30 years at my house, i have transferred hosting responsibility beginning this year to my son and his.

It's time. 20+ people in my house and yard for a day is a helluva lot of work for me...they are young and strong and have those three, near-grown young-uns to help them.

I am happy these days being a bit more on the periphery of these things, minus Doug to help with everything. It will be enough to host and tend to those who will be staying here with me.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #2443
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Morning sun thru my trellis, and Lily...

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	263176  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #2444
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Morning sun thru my trellis, and Lily...

Maggie
sweet...
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #2445
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Now THAT'S a cool pic!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #2446
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The notoriously wild and untamed far back of my property has been tidied and whipped...ever so slightly...into shape.

What can reasonably be done back there, is done.

A bit of touch-up painting in the little house, and I am now down to the final, finer details of Spring Cleaning....just as hot weather appears to be setting in for the season, and company is coming.

Doug has been reminded, too, that I have not lowered my standards just because he is no longer here to help.

A slow news day, here. Just sayin' Hi.

Maggie
Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #2447
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Errands and Needlework group today...nothing terribly exciting going on here.

Except....Daughter and SIL will be heading back to NYC with my Matrix on June 5th, and the Interstate will become my only transportation, until....I decide to get another vehicle.

I am just a tiny bit nervous about that, but excited I will have it paid off so can stash some extra $ toward a slightly larger vehicle.

I will rent for those couple of winter months I am home, and just see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I will get another vehicle sooner rather than later....but it seems a good financial decision now.

Leaving the Senior Center this afternoon, their Bus is out front and two women with a cane and walker are getting on...not all that much older than me.

I felt badly for them, but at least they are out and about via that Bus. We just never know when that could become our life.

I am grateful every day for my relative good health.

Looking forward to Moraine View in a couple of weeks, and seeing those good folks.

Summer is coming up fast.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #2448
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Suppliers of various home services seem to have a trend going these days, sending the same person for whatever routine and non-routine service is needed, and I like that.

The woman who serviced my 20 year old Trane last week is back this morning to repair the pipe that burst by the back yards' faucet over the winter.

We call each other by our first names, I fix her a glass of iced tea which she is not afraid to drink, and Lily knows not to eat her when she comes into the house ....known entities are so often preferable to unknown, and I choose them whenever I can.

They become fabric of our lives relationships...these people who do close and personal things for you and/or in your home, and always do a bit extra because they want to keep your business. I like.

It evolves, too, from living in the same place for 30 years, and I suspect will become even more important as I get older and stay in this house hopefully til my last, dying breath.

Things will break, things will go wrong, familiar faces and entities will come to take care of them. A good thing.

4 or 5 years ago, Doug went to Gunsite for a week one fall, while Lily and & stayed in a lovely county park near Chattanooga, TN. While he was off fine-tuning his weaponry skills, I picked up a tenor ukulele at a local shop and taught myself how to play.

Having played piano and then flute growing up, I still retained some of the rudimentaries of music education, and had played guitar back in the late 60's/early 70's...when everyone played the guitar...so it wasn't too difficult to pick this up, and I enjoyed being able to create tunes to music I loved.

I never so much played that ukulele as played with it, but I enjoyed it...tho I haven't touched it since Doug died.

Now, a string has popped, so I'm going to take it in to get it replaced....and start fiddling with it again. It's time.

I know that my resistance to listening to our CD's...the very sound track of our lives together... has been to avoid the flood of emotion that will come from hearing tunes we listened to early in our relationship, while at beloved places, while travling the country together, cleaning the house, cuddled on the couch, dancing in the kitchen .. music brings memories which bring feelings which I am still grappling with.

If I don't tap into those feelings, I stay on top of it, soldiering on, carving out a life without my partner of 27 years. When I am in the feelings, it is the pain and grief and loss I am still coming to terms with.

I avoid so that I may pace myself.

But, I'm going to open that door a crack, get the string on the ukulele fixed, and begin to play a bit.

It's time, and my fingers are wanting it.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #2449
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has gotten too warm and humid to do these outside, so I did these first three tabby pavers in my kitchen.

Sprinkled a little playground sand on top, because I wanted sand

Very easy, the hardest part being getting the consistency just right...might be a little wet ... we'll see how they look once dry.

In batches of three, which have to sit a day before removing, it will take a few days to get enough, but I'm underway.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	263375  
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #2450
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie they look adorable. The variety of shells is very nice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #2451
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks.

We'll see how they look dry....

Maggie
Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #2452
Rivet Master

Maggie, your tabby pavers are like every craft you do....very pretty. Look professional!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #2453
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They look right now like cake batter with seashells on it.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #2454
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I watched "The Intern" last night, on one of my new HBO channels....Robert Di Nero and Anne Hathaway. Cute.

Amusing without being slapstick...not my thing ...and just very well done.

Doug would have enjoyed it, and identified greatly with this main character.

Di Nero plays a 70 year old Senior Intern, a retired executive who carries an old leather briefcase, a flip phone, and always a cloth handkerchief in his pocket.

"We carry it for them", he tells a fellow, 20'ish intern...for women, for when they cry, or otherwise need them.

Doug always referred to himself as "an old guy, who likes the old ways"...even when I first met him, when we were both 36, this is how he referred to himself.

He always carried a clean cloth handkerchief, pulled out chairs and opened doors, etc....a gentleman, and he would have really liked this movie.

So, I'm talking to him while I'm watching it, telling him he would like it and pointing out the similarities between he and the main character...asking him if he's sitting here on the couch, watching it with me...and, by the way, haven't seen any signs lately..are you still around? No response.

Then this morning I'm in the checkout line at the grocer, waiting to pay for my Sunday papers, when on the background music comes Fleetwood Mac and Sentimental Lady....that's why I travel far, cause I come so together where you are.

When we were first dating, Doug lived and worked in Galesburg...about a 75 minute drive each way in good weather...so we generally saw each other only on alternate weekends, when his kids were with their Mom.

Big into music, Doug early on made me a mix tape of his favorite, driving-back-and-forth tunes...this song was first on that tape, which I still have, and we always considered it "our song".

The last time I asked him that, seconds later I almost stepped on this, in the water at Edisto Beach.

Coincidence? I think not.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	263428  
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #2455
Rivet Master

Maggie, no coincidence there. You feel it...you know the signs. I believe a love such as yours, will sustain you now and forever. Bless you. Evelyn.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #2456
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have sorted and gone thru my yarn stash this morning....what to put away til cooler weather, what to organize to take with during hot weather travels, which are fixin' to commence.

Have finished my last prayer shawl for awhile...too warm for my lap, time for cottons and smaller things.

Band of Brothers is on HBO, so have had it on in the background....seems fitting for the day, tho terribly sad and traumatic to watch.

I simply cannot imagine what our servicemen and women in war zones have gone thru, and my heart goes out to them all.

Maggie
Old 05-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #2457
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have seen my Dr.'s and completed all annual exams ...and, but for the chronic, manageable-but-never-to-go-away things, I have a clean bill of health.

Not too bad for an old woman.

My bones are no less dense than my last bone density test 5-6 years ago...which doesn't surprise me, in spite of my advancing age, given the heavy lifting my life has taken on these past couple of years.

An unintended consequence, Doug would say.

Nothing too exciting going on here, doing some shopping, getting ready for company and the family gig this weekend.

Serious cooking and food prep will come later in the week.

Maggi
Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #2458
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cleaning out the Matrix before transferring title in a couple of days...

I remember buying these little cup holder discs at the P.A.L car wash locally, a day or two before heading to Iowa for Doug's funeral... and there they have stayed ever since, a reminder of "before", every time I got in that car.

You never go to a funeral with a dirty car, I heard him say more than once. He who had a great deal more experience attending funerals of loved ones than I.

When I saw these, I believed Doug wanted me to get them and put them where I saw them often. So, I did.

We went to New Orleans for our honeymoon in 1992, and were back almost every year after that...post-retirement, we were sometimes there twice in the same year.

I haven't been back since he died. Having never been there without him, it will be another "first", with memories every where I look.

The Hotel Le Richilieu, the Cafe du Monde, the Algiers Ferry, Jackson Square...where we had our portrait done by a street artist in 1996...so many memories.

One of these years, I'll go back. Until then, these will ride in the Interstate.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	102
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	263660  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #2459
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first three tabby pavers, completely dry.

I like them.

Another three are drying, and that's all the small shells I have, so another trip to Edisto will be required to make more.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	119
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	263661  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #2460
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Very cool, Maggie! I like those!