Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #1695
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I are going to head back to Folly Beach this morning....where she is allowed, but cannot run off-leash, and where there are many dog-friendly restaurants ....where one can sit outside to eat with one's beloved, 4 legged friend.

An occasional meal out is something we always enjoyed, and I still do, but sitting in a restaurant alone remains very difficult for me. With Lily, I have company.

I will have brunch after our walk, and she will get a scrambled egg.

Then, a drive up the Ashley River Plantation Road, and to check out Givhans Ferry SP....on the Edisto River, it looks lovely.

One of the things we always loved about Charleston, and the Low-Country in general, is that spring comes very early here.

While it is frigid winter at home, flowering shrubs in this area are already beautifully blooming.

I believe these are Camellias.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	256472  

Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #1696
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Yes, they are camellias

Yes, the photo is of a Camellia. If you have a chance go see the Magnolia Plantation and gardens. Mid January to Mid March is the time to see the camellia gardens on this over 500 acre plantation. Travel and Leisure named it one of the 15 most beautiful gardens in America in 2014. The international Camellia Society recognizes Magnolia as being one of only seven Gardens of Excellence in the United States. There are over 25,000 camellias there.
You are right in the backyard of Magnolia.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #1697
Rivet Master

Very pretty! Wow, it must be so nice there....we have upper 50's here, but snow is expected Saturday night, Monday, and Tuesday......prediction of 6-12 inches for Denver, maybe more where I live. Spring is a long way away for us.

Your patio brunch sure sounds nice and I'll bet Lily loves having her person right there while she has her brunch, as well.

Maggie, I have decided that I want a 2016 Interstate.....only one problem.....I need to win a lottery before I can buy it! Darn it! Till then, I'll just have to 'make do' with my little 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport. (LOL)! Seriously, I wish I could get one, as it would make my travels so much easier, not to tow, and attend to all that entails, but, the only way I can pull it off is to leave my daughter with a big debt to deal with, and certainly, at my age, I would not have it paid off prior to 'my eventual departure'. My home is debt free, and I could finance it, but, then there is that issue of leaving Deb with a huge issue, and I can't , in good conscience, do that! Oh well, so goes life. God bless. Evelyn.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #1698
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll check out those gardens, Silverbee.

Evelyn, you might find an older Interstate, not so expensive as the new ones....or insure it to be paid off if you die first?

I love mine, that is for sure, but I couldn't afford one at today's prices.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #1699
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Very pretty! Wow, it must be so nice there....we have upper 50's here, but snow is expected Saturday night, Monday, and Tuesday......prediction of 6-12 inches for Denver, maybe more where I live. Spring is a long way away for us.

Your patio brunch sure sounds nice and I'll bet Lily loves having her person right there while she has her brunch, as well.

Maggie, I have decided that I want a 2016 Interstate.....only one problem.....I need to win a lottery before I can buy it! Darn it! Till then, I'll just have to 'make do' with my little 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport. (LOL)! Seriously, I wish I could get one, as it would make my travels so much easier, not to tow, and attend to all that entails, but, the only way I can pull it off is to leave my daughter with a big debt to deal with, and certainly, at my age, I would not have it paid off prior to 'my eventual departure'. My home is debt free, and I could finance it, but, then there is that issue of leaving Deb with a huge issue, and I can't , in good conscience, do that! Oh well, so goes life. God bless. Evelyn.
If you can afford the payments etc on a 2016 Interstate and are concerned about leaving a debt for your daughter you might look into a small insurance policy to pay off the loan upon death. But, you also might want to call an attorney for some advice as not sure about CO inheritance laws concerning debt vs heirs. You may find that your daughter does not owe anything once your estate is settled, the house would pay off the loan and etc and the remainder would go to her. Just a thought.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #1700
Rivet Master

Thanks, Bud. The big thing is....Debbie lives with me and the house will still be her home when I'm not here. That's really important for me...that she has the home. I might check to see if an insurance policy would pay it off upon my death. I can afford the payments, and that's not the issue for me, but would be a big problem for her. I would not encumber her future, to satisfy my desire for luxury travel. That would be exceedingly selfish of me...and that is not who I am.
Deb is not into travel as am I, so she would not use it.

Maggie, I will check into that insurance policy...that could make a difference in a decision.
Thanks, guys, for the idea. Evelyn.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #1701
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I had a nice walk on the beach this morning, then a yummy brunch at the Lost Dog Cafe....don'tcha love that name?

I suspect there is a story behind it, and nice to have her with me and to give her a scrambled egg cooked especially for her....topped with a dog biscuit garnish. She loved it.

She is really enjoying the beaches, and has been especially cuddly and affectionate....appreciative, it seems, for my taking her to places she enjoys so much...and which we don't have at home. I woke last night to find her curled up against my back.

A pretty drive up to Givhans Ferry SP, which I am so glad I looked at before making a reservation, as the campground there is a bit depressing, in my opinion. Looks like there are some nice walking areas, and the bathhouse was very clean, but the campground was just not at all inviting.

So, as I am in here early, and have a gap before due in at Edisto, am going to spend a couple of weeks at Huntington Beach SP. Lots of positive chatter here about that campground, and I have never been there.....everything one needs for life, plus a beautiful beach, marshes, etc. We'll give it a try.

There is Myrtle Beach SP, between here and there, but I am so not the Myrtle Beach type, thought I would skip that one.

I must say....approaching 2 years since Doug has died...I still find myself feeling periodically like I am waiting or searching or trying to find something. I think it is my old life, haunting me a bit, and that I am still adjusting to being without.

Maybe it's like with people who lose a limb, and have that phantom feeling that it's still there...but it isn't.

The before, hovering a bit too close.

I'm not there yet, still a work in progress. Sigh.

Maggie
Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #1702
Rivet Master

Oh Maggie, reading this last post, I just want to give you a warm Hug! Your love for Doug is still so alive. Don't ever let go of that, as it is truly a special gift. I think you are very brave ....and so in touch with your 'inner YOU'. The work takes time, and peace will come eventually. The progress you have made in so short a time...is impressive. Go easy on expectations...there is no timeline.

Bless Lily's little heart...she surely must appreciate the life she has with you. She seems to really enjoy this special treat of the wonderful trip she shares with her special person. I think they know that trips are special. I can just imagine her romping around on the beaches. I'll bet she is a 'hoot'! Seeing her so happy must make you smile...and that is also good for you.

God bless you. Evelyn.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #1703
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Maggie: Huntington Beach is very nice and we think Hunting Island, just south of Edisto is even nicer. We camped at Huntining Island for years when our kids were younger and even bought a place on the neighboring island Fripp Island. IF you go to Huntington Island, just before you get onto the Island there used to be a wholesale fish market that would also sell to the public on a walk in basis - Gay's Fish Market. The shrimp and fish one buys in the afternoon were caught that morning.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #1704
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Both of you seem to be having a great time. I am happy for you.

Cassie and I have similar stories.

Did you get the book?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #1705
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.. I'm really doing quite well....just sharing a bit.

I used to tell my clients, struggling with life changes forced upon them...you can't flip a switch, change takes time.

So true. Still carving it out.

We've been to Hunting Island, Bud, and it is a beautiful campground....also one revered by many here. .

I have to admit, tho.....all beaches are compared to Edisto.

I thought about trying to get in there early, but it is also a bit of a pricey one and so I am going for also-beautiful-but-less-expensive.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #1706
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Both of you seem to be having a great time. I am happy for you.

Cassie and I have similar stories.

Did you get the book?
We are enjoying ourselves. No oceans at home.

I haven't gotten the book, yet, Vince, but did look it up and it is available on my Nook.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #1707
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
bvans

Hey Maggie, I got it fixed!!!.. back on line!!! Evelyn, good morning to you... you might look at the Bvans... Airstream made them from '89 to '99 not too many, I read somewhere about 1000, so they are rare... I love mine, it's a '95... they have more storage space than the Interstates... you can get them for less the $15000... the gas mileage is terrible, 10mpg, but think of what you'd save on the Interstate!!! ahahha!!!

Sometime you'll see them on the classified on the forum here... not often... there is another forum just for Airstream Bvans, not associated with ours here.... name is B190 Enthusiasts... if you go there, there are many pictures of the inside... for the outside, look at my avatar...

Ok, good luck to you... and see you in September!!! gail
Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #1708
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you got it fixed, Gail!

Aside from the location of this campground, the friendliness of its people. and it's beauty, and the discount in January and February....they have great laundry services at the bathhouse near me, outside where you can access them, with deep washers that fill up, and dryers that actually get hot and dry your clothes.

I like.

Once a week, after I have washed and dried the bedding, it is free of dog hair for just a moment.

She's so worth it, tho.

Maggie