Old 01-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #1681
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks, and sorry for your liquid diets.

I am exceedingly directionally challenged, and not good at all at driving while navigating anywhere...but it is also a pia to use a gps function to leave one spot and go to another. It is a tad bit stressful going into a city for me, who is almost directionally dyslexic.

One of the things that is really, really, really nice about taking the Interstate anywhere you want to go.....you always have a bathroom, can sit down a bit if you want, eat lunch, feed the dog, etc......and, you always have a bathroom.

Emphasis....you always have a bathroom.

Walking, with Lily in tow, there are not many places where one can use a bathroom and take the dog in....like, none. Without the Interstate, but with the dog, one must make plans around when and where one can pee, and limit liquids accordingly.

I got down to Beachwalker Park yesterday, coffee in hand to sip while I walked and she ran....three toilets at the top of the walk down to the beach...every one of them CLOSED!.

We could have stayed longer, but we couldn't.

We did make our way to downtown, old Charleston, this morning, and walked the streets a bit...Charleston is very dog friendly, with water bowls set outside many doors...Lily would go right up to them and take a drink...I know that's for me!.

Lots of dog lovers here, too, asking her name, stopping to pet her and make over her. She was in heaven.

We walked and looked and I found a C-ton tshirt, then took Lily to the dog park...where she growled and snarled and showed her wicked teeth, and even snapped at one pup that invaded her space a bit too much......then walked around with me, but wasn't willing to leave me to play with the other dogs.

A different Lily, in our different life.

She used to love other dogs almost as much as she loved us.

Maggie

Old 01-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #1682
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily really enjoys her daily carrots....I have gone to whole ones, giving her 1/2 per day, late afternoon.

She asks for them....so funny.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	256317  

Old 01-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #1683
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Lily has taken possession of you after Doug's passing. Pretty common. When I am alone and walking both dogs and need facilities, I find a gas station or some such thing I just take them in with me. They lie on the floor and wait until I'v finished.

Each night our two get a frozen Kong with dog peanut butter after we eat dinner. Our black one sits and stares at the freezer right after we finish either at home or in the trailer. Looks like Lily really loves her carrots!

Enjoy

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #1684
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily certainly does see her primary role as looking out for me. She couldn't be more devoted, and it works for me. I like our bond.

Such a sweetie, and I cannot imagine being without her.

Going to visit Boone Hall Plantation today, and perhaps one of the beaches up Mount Pleasant way.

I will post some pictures.

Temps are going to be in the upper 60's, and sunny....and I figure Lily can walk the grounds of the plantation with me.

It's going to be a beautiful day.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	256338  
Old 01-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #1685
Rivet Master

So nice that she is protective of you. (My little ones can only nip....no risk to anyone.) lily does have some mean looking teeth.

Great having such pretty weather for roaming around! Enjoy. Evelyn.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #1686
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Boone Hall Plantation was a mixed bag.

The home, currently lived in and only a few rooms of which are open to the public, was built in the 1930's, tho the plantation itself is reportedly the oldest continuously worked plantation in the United States....dating back to the 1650's, and lived on all that time, as well.

The tree lined drive to the house is magnificent, as all of these seem to be....ancient live oaks, hung with moss.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	47
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	256375  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #1687
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes! Bad guys attacking our AirForums.

Our Mods, to the rescue.

The other very interesting thing about Boone Hall....the original slave cabins were very unique, and unlike any I have ever seen....made of brick "seconds", cast-offs from those made on the plantation.

Brick and cotton were the exports of this plantation, bricks made by the slaves and a brick on one slave house containing tiny fingerprints....of, perhaps, a slave child, as they began working at 3-4 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	49
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	256391  
Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #1688
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After Boone Hall....where there are bathrooms ...Lily and I walked the beach at Isle of Palms a bit.

Dogs allowed off-leash there before 10am and after 4 pm, but she enjoyed it, nonetheless.

Dozens of starfish dead on the beach, disgorged by the sea at very high tide levels some days ago.....I had to have a little one.

Tomorrow is going to be cold and rainy, so we are going to go back to Beachwalker Park later today.....where Lily can run loose and while it is warm enough for me to be barefoot in the sand.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	256392  
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #1689
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
A man was walking down the ocean beach. After a while he noticed a kid throwing something, as kids will do, into the water. As the man neared the kid he noticed many beached starfish. He then noticed the kid was throwing the starfish back into the sea. The man said, "hey, kid! Why are you throwing the starfish back into the sea? Can't you see there are more than you could ever throw!" The kid said.."Yes Sir, you are right! I cannot possibly throw them all.." The man said," so why waste your time and effort? What difference does it make?" The kid said, " Well, Sir, you are right, I cannot save them all!" The kid kept throwing starfish. The man said,"so why are you doing this". The kid said, "I cannot save them all, I can only make a difference for this one!" And the kid threw another starfish into the sea.

Keep throwing starfish, kid... Keep throwing.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #1690
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have read that one, Channing, and fully subscribe to that belief.

Do what you can, where you can, whenever you can.

Lily ran herself to exhaustion on the beach yesterday....to be cool and rainy today, so I think we will stay in.

I will drink tea, crochet...

Maggie
Old 01-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #1691
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
It's the motto and guide for just about anyone involved in animal rescue.

Had not seen it that way, thanks

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #1692
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another one....

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little.....do what you can.

Sometimes.....a person finds themselves trying to deal with something that is much bigger than they are.

I firmly believe that one should then do what they can, with what is directly in front of them.....focus not on the big picture, but on the little one.

Be not a part of the problem, but do your best to be part of the solution. You never know what difference you might make.

And, sometimes.....when you are nearly convinced that no one is listening or paying attention to a problem....you find that they are.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #1693
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the very best purchases I have made for the Interstate is this set of nesting silicone bowls...2qt, 1 1/2qt, and 1 qt, with a nice, vertical rather than horizontal, heft to them which work very well in the cabinet and frig.

Aside from the color , they squish wherever they are, and can be used for mixing, storing and reheating.

Googling them to get a picture, they are as low as $21 or so, now....much less than I paid at least 5-6 years ago...but they have been worth every penny.

I love them.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #1694
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

The starfish story is so true. Ask the pair of dogs we rescued off the street, after failing to rescue the other one that later apparently got killed in traffic...

Sometimes you have to just do what you can. It will make a difference in some way, even if it's a small difference.

The best thing about dogs is the unconditional love they have for their people....and a warm safe home inside, with lots of lap sitting time. Contentment personified😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote