Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #2401
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm not sure it qualifies as archeology, but I do think I will give it a bath and see if anything more reveals itself.

Looking some more online, my piece looks similar to larger brick described as "Engineer", and used for building. I suspect it was once twice as long, and broke...perhaps simply discarded and tossed aside, then turned under by bulldozers when this house was built.

I'm glad we didn't take a tiller to this area, like we did putting a bed in on the south side, as hitting that chunk might have created a real problem.

This cul-de-sac I am on in the low rent district was turned into houses last...apartment buildings on both sides of this block were here first, for some years, and my house is 31 years old.

I am inclined to think it came from the building that went on up the street, but why it was 6"-8" in the ground in my yard is a puzzle to me....but then, what do I know in the slightest about what goes on in building a house.

I would like it to be 200 year old brick, made in Boston and carried carefully west in a covered wagon to become part of a pioneer home here in what used to be Indian territory , but that is highly unlikely.

These have been slow news days here at the little house, where a chunk of brick has occupied so much of my time.

I guess I shouldn't complain that this is the most exciting thing going on.

I have been knocking out my to-do list, inside and out, cleaning closets, fixing this and that, and by the time carpet steamers come on Monday the little house will be just about ready for Spring. Son and his will be here Sat. to help me with a couple of things.

I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes with pulling things together, sprucing and tidying and setting things to right.

I'm a simple woman.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #2402
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Perhaps you can find a brick mason, preferably an older one, who can identify your brick. I have found that people who work with brick for a living often take an interest in how, when, and where their material is manufactured.

I recently had a mason come out to give me a bid on some repairs, and I found him looking closely at some fire brick I had saved when I cleaned out a pile of junk and brush. When I got his attention, he said, "Excuse me, I was just looking at some old brick."
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #2403
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've thought about that, taking the picture somewhere to have it looked at.

Those guys tend to know their stuff.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #2404
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I think it has to do with taking pride in their trade.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #2405
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, and I think anything one is passionate about lends itself to learning and understanding origin and history, etc.....no simply scratching the surface of knowledge.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #2406
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had the AC serviced this morning, and discovered that a pipe leading to the outside spigot apparently froze over the winter....they're going to have to cut into drywall at the rear of the house to repair it.

Went to Needlework Group today, scanned my little card to check in , and had a notice that I had a "message" at the front desk.

The message was the return of my Membership Application Form, with instructions that I have to sign the Release of Information.

We had a discussion about this...the Release is purportedly only so the facility can tally how many seniors attend which class, it has nothing to do with the use of any of the information above this Release section and signature line....which is all of your identifying information, marital status, birthdate, etc.....and the Medical Information section I declined to fill out.

I feel quite certain that a signed Release of Information from participants is not required for our attendance to be tallied, and those totals given to whomever. If it were, that would have been the case before the move to the new facility.

Still run by the township, funding has not changed. What a bunch of b.s.

I am also very familiar with Release of Information forms.

The Release section....placed beneath all of this personal information, certainly indicates that by signing you are agreeing to the release of everything above that for the stated purpose "for statistical and in-house marketing purposes". Grrrrrr.

You have to sign the release, as a condition of Membership, nice lady at the front desk explained....she being pressured to get signatures from those that had refused, being told this is part of doing her job.

I crossed out "in-house marketing", wrote in "for statistical purposes only", and signed it.

I told her if this was not sufficient, whoever is telling her she must get these needs to speak with me directly.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #2407
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Grrrrr at them with you!

Whatever happened to people's privacy. We all try to practice safe online and identity information protection in general and then your constantly forced to give up all your information.

Then someone tells you "that's just the way it is" and "your information is already out there anyway".

Well just cause that's the way it is doesn't make it right and if the information is already there then find it yourself. ;(

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #2408
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And to make signing their Release of Information a condition of membership in a publicly funded Senior Center?

It stinks.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #2409
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I found something called Oldcastle cored red concrete brick...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #2410
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
never mind... Oldcastle is a brick making company...
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #2411
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to call it "Mystery Brick", and just leave it right where I put it.

I suspect it is leftover from the building north of me about 20' from where I dug it up, rather than having some poignant and historical significance...as I would like.

I saw a photo of little succulent plants put into old brick like that, and I might do that at some point.

The grands will get a kick out of seeing what Grandma dug out of the yard.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #2412
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Looks like a landscaping brick.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #2413
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Rumtopf Recipe

Found this in my Mother Earth News magazine the other day...

Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches....oh my!

I'm going to start a jar as soon as I buy 108 proof Rum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	262825  
Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #2414
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Bay City , Oregon
Good morning Maggie... I was doing a similar thing with Blackberry when I first moved up here... big jar, berries, sugar, vodka...let it sit.. mush berries.. I think stirred on occasion?? weeks go by... then strain thru cheese cloth... Blackberry Cordial!!! Yummm!!! almost like syrup..great over ice cream...haven't done it for several years... moved on to Blackberry jelly.. also yummm..
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #2415
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A friend made for me, and gave me the recipe for, a Raspberry Sauce that I believe I have already posted here.

She has a raspberry patch in her garden, that was producing raspberries faster than they could eat or freeze them, and this is one way she used them up.

It has a bit of raspberry liqueur added to it, which allows it to keep almost indefinitely in your frig.

I drizzled a little this morning over my very-late-breakfast rice pudding.

Heavenly.

I have a pint jar in my frig I think I'm going to use to make a trifle for a family thing coming up.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #2416
Rivet Master

Maggie, sorry that this senior citizen group is not as trouble free as the last one. I am with you, very resistant to providing personal information which is not likely to be protected. Due to prevalence of identity theft, it is wise to not trust everyone carte blance.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #2417
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's the same group, just a new facility....with this fancy, new computer system.

I really enjoy the ladies, we spend a couple of hours doing our respective needlework things and talking about whatever.

It's nice, they are nice. I like.

Who do they think they're talking to, tho, asking for all of this personal and medical information and then telling folks they have to sign a release soley for the purpose of tallying numbers in each activity.

We're not stupid, and I'm apparently not the only one who balked at it.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #2418
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Keep balking. It's intrusive, and, if all else fails, use the phrase "NYDB" to fill in inappropriate blanks on the form.

All personal Medical data is covered by HIPAA laws, and unless they are compliant, they flat don't need to have it, period.

Be nice to the poor lady at the desk, find out who put this form into play, and be very firm, if not flat out nasty to that person.

My personal policy, if all else fails, is to insert false information, or tell them where to put their form.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #2419
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I haven't used that particular HIPAA reasoning, but I will remember it.

Thanks.

I was very nice to the woman at the desk yesterday. She was spewing the party line she'd been fed, but it was nonsensical and I knew that.

It's false pretenses, is what it is, and we were discussing it as a group yesterday.

I take personal responsibility for carrying and wearing medical alert information, as everyone should. I don't need to give it to a non-HIPAA facility I visit once a week for a couple of hours.

The only other people I recall giving this info to are my Doctors offices...under strict rules and regulations as to how and under what conditions information can be released.

If they press me again, there's going to be a problem.

I will be speaking with the person in charge and asking to see something in writing which supports their conditions of Membership in the new Senior Center!

I'm not going to talk about nor think about this any more today, so let's give it a rest, folks.

I can feel my blood pressure starting to rise.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #2420
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
So, did you find some little succulent plants to put into that nice brick?

We also use big oyster shells as a holder for little succulents. Put a few in a recycled hard plastic food tray with a bit of pea gravel or coarse sand under the shells to keep them upright. Get a few funny looks when I ask for a to-go box and put leftover oyster shells in it😄

A few days in the sun and gentle scraping with a wooden stick gets the remains off the shells.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote