Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #2381
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I've never seen one here, so I don't know what the story is, but personally feel we have too much traffic and being on one would be very unsafe.

Totally agree, even though we could have had any "Demo unit" we wanted where we live I have never thought they were safe, so we never had one and will not, but the Feds think so and so do local politicians.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #2382
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Probably all we aging baby-boomers, lobbying to get needs and wants met.

We have seen golf carts in small towns for a long time....very easy for running to the gas station for the paper or other small item.

I don't look to ever own one.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #2383
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sunday dinner.....

I remember Doug's Mom making homemade beef and noodles by the enormous painful, quantities large enough to feed the entire extended family, including big, strapping young men who worked hog farms for a living....those boys could eat.

She cooked a couple of beef roasts in her pressure cooker and, of course, made homemade noodles and gravy.

We would arrive and they would be made, cut, and drying on the backs of her kitchen chairs, waiting to be cooked.

I had never eaten beef and noodles before hers...I was a town girl, my Mother...an excellent cook..was Confederate Aristocracy, and it was just not something she ever made.

I eventually started making this for Doug and my adult kids on occasional Sundays, and then the grands, tho I cheat....beef in the crockpot, cream of mushroom soup, and Kluski noodles from a bag.

Today....with lots of baby portobello mushrooms. Tho the middle of May, it feels more fall than Spring, so comfort food is on the menu. Yum.

Doug would say.. "Mother never put mushrooms in hers."

My 23andMe kit was in the mailbox when I got home yesterday....going to spit in the tube and send it off tomorrow.

My son's testing showed a significant percentage of Ashkenazi Jew.

That would be from maternal great-great grandparents, who came from Germany to New Orleans in the 1830's...my great grandfather being the only child of 14 to live to procreate.

I will be waiting (im)patiently for test results to come back.

Puttering and tidying today, nothing exciting going on.

I never got my tabby pavers made last week, but am planning on starting them in the next couple of days.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #2384
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

My mom's specialty was Goulash, with egg noodles. Her mom was the Sauerbraten with red cabbage and fried potatoes.

Grandma's shallow aluminum potato sauté pan, with brass handles, at one point, was stolen back from the Russian troops that invaded and looted her home in Vienna, Austria during the war.

Grandma was that attached to that simple pan. She could have been killed for that move....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 AM   #2385
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love those kinds of stories....I hope one of you grandchildren now has that pan.

My great-great-great grandparents home in southern MS was raided by Grierson and his men during the Civil War, them taking everything edible and of value they could find and haul away.

They didn't find the gold pieces great-Grandma had hidden in the sideboard, tho, which helped them get thru the war.

I was in that house for the first time last January....stood on original floor boards in the home completed in 1818, where my great grandmother and great-great grandfather were born.

An almost spiritual experience....history under my feet.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #2386
Rivet Master

Corona , California
A Different Life II

Actually, I think my mother still has that pan. It was from a very scary part of history. I still other have artifacts from that period.

Mom and grandma were in Vienna through some of the worst allied bombings of the city. She still has fast reactions to instantly take cover in response to sudden loud noises.

Mom was sent west, away from the invading Russian army, and met up with an American tank platoon, where her New Jersey accent got her safe passage. She worked as an interpreter for General Mark Clark for some time after the war.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #2387
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Maggie,

Found a quite interesting book if you are looking for one.

God's Bankers by Gerald Posner. Google it.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #2388
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks!

Maggie
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #2389
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been busy...gone from the house today for errands, a Dr.'s appointment, then the spring program at the grade school two of the grands attend.

Lily is having mama-withdrawal, and I haven't crocheted a stitch since sitting with Alice at her ballet lesson Satuday.

Tomorrow...many chores needing tended to, inside and outside.

A drawer in a dresser has completely fallen apart, going to see if I can figure out how to put it back together.

I have an electric screwdriver, a good hammer, and lots of nails.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #2390
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been at it this morning.

Repaired the dresser drawer, removing old screws, drilling new holes and replacing....done, me and the cordless screwdriver.

I am in love with the beach rock I put under my downspout on the north side a couple of weeks ago.

Picked up a couple of more bags and put them under the remaining, undressed downspouts around the little house. Four of beach rock, one of Edisto shells...what's not to love.

They are beautiful against the dark of the house. and look especially lovely after it rains. They make me smile, just to look at them.

Doubled the size of my Lily of the Valley bed this morning, too....me, digging and turning ground with the shovel. Figured this was the time to do it, before they begin to spread and I have gotten a really-big-beach-rock-border in place.

I dug up a very large chunk of brick in the yard this morning, about 8" long....on this piece of land which I understood my house was the first to be built on.

Looks to have been made in a mold, so I'm going to do some research and see if I can figure out its origins.

I'm waiting for my yard guys to say "what's with all the rock, Maggie?"

I have It because I like the way it looks, and that's all the reason I need.

Hard labor is done for today.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #2391
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie,

You have been AT it.

Very busy spring beautification and refresh going on at your place. The river rocks, as we call them, look very nice around the downspouts. It's a good sense of accomplishment after a hard day's work outside.

Our weather has turned also, but as our seasons are inverted, we finally had to turn the air on and close the windows. Anything over a 100 and my outside work is done for a couple of months. Will wander back out for a couple of hours every couple of weeks to cut the grass. Already miss the sounds of outside but that's the price for a nice winter.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #2392
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have River Rock, too, these are labeled beach rock, are larger than my River Rock, and I love their varied colors and different kinds of rock.

We are having a very cool and wet spring here, wet enough the farmers can't be in the fields, tho I noticed on my Iowa drive that crops are already coming up.

I had the AC on s couple of weeks ago, not so much for terrible heat but because the dreaded humidity had set in....I actually ran the furnace for awhile when I got home on Sunday, and we've had lows in the upper 30's.

I think I have largely been inspired for outdoor things because the weather has been so very hospitable. I won't do much outside in the heat, either.

I hope we don't pay for this with crazy heat this summer.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #2393
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, this is the piece of brick I dug out of my side yard this morning.

It's a big sucker, IMO, and I'm intrigued as to its origin.

If you look at the side facing the camera, there is what seems to be a seam in the center of that side.....which is why I thought it had been made in a mold.

I can't find anything like it online....any thoughts, folks?

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	262682  
Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #2394
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
So, this is the piece of brick I dug out of my side yard this morning.

It's a big sucker, IMO, and I'm intrigued as to its origin.

If you look at the side facing the camera, there is what seems to be a seam in the center of that side.....which is why I thought it had been made in a mold.

I can't find anything like it online....any thoughts, folks?

Maggie
Good morning there... I typed 3 hole brick in search and got a lot of pics and info... but yours does look a lot older... hugs and love, have a great day...
Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #2395
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was hoping for a "that's a blah blah brick, used for blah blah, and made around blah blah blah."

I'm just intrigued by the idea that there may have been a house in this area sometime in the past 180 years or so that Illinois has been settled.

I've stuck it in a corner of my flower bed, for posterity's sake.

Beautiful, cool weather continues, so I am continuing my marathon, little house spruce-up, inside and out.

Going to do a little painting, move my appliances, son is going to replace some very worn and ugly doorknobs/locks, carpet steamers will be here early Monday morning....I'm on a roll.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #2396
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Brick's: so it seems that type of brick might be a cored or extruded brick used with drainage in mind. Very common with Scottish brick making style.

Chicago is know for its brickyards and lead the industry for many years. The Monadnock Building In Chicago, 1893, is still the tallest all brick skyscraper.

I did not find a matching image to your brick but lots of similar.

I know a little more about bricks than I ever did and saw lots of beautiful brick images.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #2397
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep.

I love old brick homes, walls, walkways and patios, etc.

My grandparents in Mississippi had a brick patio out back, and then there is the ancestral home farther south, with a brick foundation, walkway to the road, and a brick patio on the north side...all bricks made on that plantation 200 years ago.

I didn't see the horizontal marking along the side on any of the brick photos online, which is what makes me suspect it was made in a mold...but I'm just guessing.

I'll find out at some point....til then, it will be a spot of interest there by the driveway.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #2398
Rivet Master

Corona , California
A Different Life II

Look at it closely for wood grain patterns that would indicate it was made in a wooden mould. Very old process. May explain the line.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #2399
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been in the ground a very long time, so it's hard to tell what is what on it, but the line on the side is centered and completely straight....it looks like from a mold to me. I don't know what else it would be,

I maybe need to soak it in some water and then give it a good scrubbing before looking at it again.

There is no brick in or on my house, that is for certain.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #2400
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Scrub gently with a soft brush. It's archaeology after all....😄😄