Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #2361
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I make these often. I usually put a "coin" of zucchini on the bottom and fill the muffin cup about 2/3 full with veggie and then spoon in the whisked egg (I use a measuring cup to make it easier). Add a little cheese on top.

I find that putting in the veggies in the cup and then filling with egg works much better than mixing in with the scrambled eggs. They will puff up pretty big when cooking but then deflate when as they cool in the pan. I usually squirt a little Srichia hot sauce on top when serving.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #2362
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmm....hot sauce sounds good.

I had DNA testing thru Ancestry.com several years ago, which didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about where my people came from, but did leave 6 or 9% of my DNA as "undetermined"....also turned up some interesting, but highly predictable, distant cousins

My son and his wife just got their results thru 23andMe, and I am going to do mine, too. . I want answers.

His turned up a few things I strongly suspected to be there, but these were the "family skeleton" kinds of information that were never talked about as I was growing up, and which I deduced from other bits and pieces I found on Ancestry.com.

The 23andMe testing is very thorough and includes markers for various genetic issues...a couple of which I already know I have, but have not passed on to my children.

I think it will be fascinating to see the results, and to link my results with my sons...which will tell us which things in his came from my side of the family, which his Dad's...or both.

I'm excited!

Maggie
Old 05-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #2363
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie plz double check the 23&me reviews before spending any money.

It appears there may be some issues. I just saw the commercial this weekend and have been interested and finally did some on line reviews. It looks like they are supposed to cease and desist (temporarily maybe) and pull the ads. FDA and data mining issues.

Sorry to be a rain cloud.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #2364
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maggie plz double check the 23&me reviews before spending any money.

It appears there may be some issues. I just saw the commercial this weekend and have been interested and finally did some on line reviews. It looks like they are supposed to cease and desist (temporarily maybe) and pull the ads. FDA and data mining issues.

Sorry to be a rain cloud.
Hmmmm....thanks for that heads up.

Looking at the first few pages of reviews, they are from one extreme to another.

I looked at my sons results with him on Mothers Day, and his ethnicity is determined down to tenths of percentages, and it is much more specific than what I have already had done....pretty fascinating, and they link you with others who share your DNA, as does Ancestry.com.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #2365
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A loose wire was the culprit on my generator switch...glad it was nothing more serious.

When I was explaining to the service guy yesterday about the problem, he asked if it was the switch inside or the one on the generator itself. I had completely forgotten there was a switch on the generator, but recall Doug knowing it would have one and sliding under the Interstate to start it when this switch went out 5 or so years ago. A guy thing, but I am learning.

The full servicing of these little on board generators is ridiculously expensive, as they must dropped down and accessed from beneath...meaning with the rig up on a lift, which is why Doug didn't do this himself.

It needed to be done, however, as it has been years since the last servicing....tho less than 70 hours on it. We must pay for things we can't..or won't ...do ourselves.

At any rate, we're up and running again....I'll get new tires and an engine service in July, then will be ready to head west. .

I'm starting to get excited about that.

I went looking at big River Rock today...3"-6"...to border the Lily of the Valley bed I have put in, which buts up against my beach-rock-downspout creation from a couple of weeks ago.

I will haul that in the back of my car next week, and I think it will look very pretty when done.

Miss Alice has a ballet recital in Iowa City Friday evening, and I will then be esconced overnight in their new homes' guest bedroom...a first.

While I'm gone, Lily will have a play date at my son's house.

Not much else going on here. Warm and humid today, then more cool weather for a few days.

Been an odd spring, but my heat-and-humidity-intolerant self can always wait on the full Midwest summer experience.

That's all, folks.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #2366
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Hmmmm....thanks for that heads up.

Looking at the first few pages of reviews, they are from one extreme to another.

I looked at my sons results with him on Mothers Day, and his ethnicity is determined down to tenths of percentages, and it is much more specific than what I have already had done....pretty fascinating, and they link you with others who share your DNA, as does Ancestry.com.

Maggie
Found these services to be pretty accurate.

As an aside about seven years ago my wife and I had a rescue dog I had trouble getting thru to. So did my professional trainer friend. So, we had her DNA tested to see what was in her. 48% Lab, the rest evenly spread between German Shepard, Bernise MT, Afgan, and we determined it was the Afgan that made her stubborn. But the reason for my post is this: I was in the golf industry and told a golf course superintendent friend about the DNA and he said he too had a dog he would like to know about. He bought the kit, BUT, he sent in his own saliva to see if they were honest. The company sent back a note and summary saying the test was human male and not too bright, and also included a free kit for his dog. We still laugh about it to this day.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #2367
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cute.

My son's results from 23andMe are already much more interesting than mine, as his are very specific....linking him by DNA to relatively small groups of people in the world. Some of that I am pretty certain is from my side, but I want to know more.

He calls us "mutts", which seems more true than not, and that's okay.

It is fascinating what DNA testing is turning up, defining the ethnic origins of individuals and groups which had only been family history prior to. And, sometimes finding that history as it was passed down was not accurate.

I know of a man and his brother who had their DNA tested, to find that they had different fathers.....surprise. Their parents were already deceased, so no answers there were forthcoming.

Have the Interstate back, taking it into a muffler place tomorrow as "the tail pipe is broken off back of the muffler"....whatever that means, specifically...for me, it means getting it replaced, as one should not be without a tail pipe.

I've made reservations in KY and TN for a couple of weeks in July, wanting especially to go back to beautiful Harpeth River Bridge, where I was early in my first long trip by myself in 2014. Such a gorgeous spot.

Going to try to get something for last 10 days or so of June, as well, then by the time I get home for a few days, and meet up with Mimi, I'll be ready to head out again.

I like to plan.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #2368
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Took the Interstate into Fred Groves Servicenter this morning...recommended by Cummins Crosspoint, and also a Doug go-to for mufflers....they not only could replace the tailpipe but did replace the tailpipe, and while I waited.

Also, at a very nominal charge , and proclaiming the rest of the muffler looks sound and well-secured. The service guy said the tailpipe had essentially rusted thru and fallen off....not unexpected for an 11 year old Sprinter Van.

Much admiring of the rig went on, of course, with looks inside. "Where do you go in that?", Fred Groves asked..."Everywhere", I responded.

I just put a quadruple batch of this bread in the oven, the fruits marinating the past 2 days, so that I can take a loaf to Iowa City tomorrow....when you are a guest, you always do something, I was taught.

I have made this at Christmas and given it away as gifts, but with a plethora of dried cherries and cranberries in my cupboard, and plenty of orange liquor, I thought..."why not".

With coffee for breakfast Saturday morning.

I used half dried cherries and half cranberries, with orange rind. This is a delicious and pretty bread, subtly orange-ey, and not completely devoid of nutritive value....so thought I would share.

Cherry/Cranberry Fruitcake

1 cup dried cherries or cranberries, or mixture of the two
1 1/2 tablespoons orange liquor
1 tablespoon hot water

Place in an airtight jar, turning to mix. Let stand at least 24 hours before baking, turning occasionally.

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar

Combine with mixer, beat in
2 large eggs and the
zest of one lemon or 1/2 an orange.

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt.

Combine in separate bowl, add wet ingredients and combine, then stir in the dried fruits with any remaining liquid. Mix well.

Bake at 350 degrees in well greased, 8 x 4 1/2 inch pan, for 40-50 minutes, til done.

Let cool in pan 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.

When completely cool, wrap and let sit overnight before slicing.

Voila!!

Maggie
Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #2369
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Good thing they found that tailpipe failure. The hazard is Carbon Monoxide seeping into the vehicle and doing the occupants great harm. You and Lily deserve a well-functioning exhaust system.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #2370
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The tailpipe must have fallen off during this last trip, as it was serviced in early November and Peterbilt would have noticed it.

Minus the generator issue...cha-ching ...it wouldn't have been looked at until July, as I wasn't yet due to have it serviced.

Just as well the problem developed, as I have been known to run the engine to charge the battery.

Maybe a guardian angel pulled that wire loose.

I am seriously considering using Cummins Crosspoint for engine servicing, as they offer "full coach service". They do almost anything...no welding or body work...and are going to clear caulk off the roof for me next year and redo that.

One of those things Doug did, and I not only have a fear of heights but I have no business being 9' off the ground.

Peterbilt went over everything for me with Silkaflex the first year Doug died, and Cummins says things still look good up there..but it's going to need to be scraped down and redone properly periodically.

I have seen big rigs in there over the years, but wrongly assumed they were having generators worked on. There is a very inexpensive discount club with them, too, that offers 10% off at this and other locations nationwide....they are in very close proximity to me, and did drop off and pick up service at the house while the Interstate was being worked on.

Hard to beat that, and they seem very reputable.

Making my way, changing a few things as I go.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #2371
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Guardian angels are a good thing to have around.

Glad you've found a new place to get your Interstate serviced. It's always good to have options.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #2372
Rivet Master

Maggie, that breakfast bread looks delicious. I may need to try my hand at that one!

I have a place to store "Goliath".... A nice and secure location not too far from me, so, I'll pick it up from Mercedez repair and take it directly to the lot. I'm so relieved to have all that settled. They have concrete pads and a free dump station with water for Macerator Pump....reasonably priced, and a 10% military discount. Yeah!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #2373
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you found a storage facility, Evelyn.

It's a very good bread, and a bit different from your usual banana bread, etc.

It's just plain fun to marinate the dried fruits in a little Grand Marnier.

Going to take one full loaf to Iowa City and the remainder will go in sections in my freezer.

So, I spoke with a couple of people at the Senior Center today about the membership fee, my issue being that a publicly funded facility should be available to all, regardless of ability to pay.

There has apparently been a lot of discussion about a fee being implemented....lots of folks not happy about it, and not because they can't afford it but because they suddenly have to pay for something that previously has been free.

I'm not going there, I just think it should be available to everyone, and that that should be stated openly, both on the website and on the Membership Application Form.

There apparently is a fee waiver application already in the works, but they are reluctant to publicize it's availability.

Those participating in Peace Meal can continue to do so without a membership, which is good, but they can't otherwise use the facility without paying the fee...and that's not right, in my opinion.

Supposedly, implementing the fee is not because they need the money but because they want people to use the facility, and if they pay for it they are more likely to use it. What???

It seems exclusionary, and smacks a bit of "certain people need not apply".

I don't like it, I said my piece about it, so we'll see what they do.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #2374
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I notice that with the "graying of America" lots of towns are becoming very "golf cart friendly". Colonial Beach, VA being one example. Virtually everyone's "town car" is a golf cart.

Some states now license "slow speed vehicles" aka golf carts - and regulate them because it seems that some old geezers who were speed demons in their youth have created souped up golf carts that go in excess of 40 mph. NO enclosure, safety belts, airbags or helmets used.

Of course you could become the KEWLEST grandma in the universe by getting an ATV - maybe pink camo! If you're looking at alternatives - go for it! I know "why buy" but perhaps you should even consider something by John Deere? Mow, plow, or GO!

And of course Harley Davidsons now have reliable electric starters. And trike kits abound.

Be sure to get a LOUD OO-GA horn too.

Paula
Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #2375
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interesting thoughts, Paula, and my grands would LOVE an ATV, but I'm sure I could not legally drive them or a riding mower in this community of 150,000 or so...nor would it be safe.

I have seen small motorcycles, which get something like 200 mpg , but they would be highly impractical for me.

I'll see how the summer and fall go, car-less. I will at least have the Interstate paid off and stash $ toward a new vehicle.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #2376
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I presumed they wouldn't be legal in a big city like Virginia Beach - except maybe in parks and campgrounds - but the city HAS authorized them and may soon license them. They are allowed on bike paths but the driver must yield to bicycles and walkers, and they can even use the trolley lane in the resort area. Stick to 2 lane roads, pull off if you're creating a backup and you can be free to enjoy a trip to a restaurant, grocery store, etc.

(Now we'll see a rise in drunk golf carting, I just know it.)

The 3 wheel Vespa's seem to be the new thing for seniors - I just don't understand the 2 wheels in the front and one in the back.

Paula
Old 05-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #2377
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I strongly suspect golf carts and off road vehicles of any sort are not allowed on the roads in Bloomington-Normal, as I have never once seen one or on the bike path thru town that runs just a block from my house.

It's a good idea, tho.

On my way to Iowa City, weather is sunny and beautiful....

Maggie
Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #2378
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a lovely visit with the IC crew, and enjoyed Alice's recital.

These are very polished and "artsy" University recitals, and I like them....much less flash and fanfare than the dance school my daughter attended, where recitals were huge production numbers.

Slept like a baby in a strange bed, which is not always the case, but they have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable in their home, so that likely has a lot to do with it.

Home now and ready for a glass of wine and a soak in the tub. That is a good bit of driving in a 24 hour period.

Miss Alice...taken by her Mom, reading while waiting to perform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	262523  
Old 05-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #2379
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I strongly suspect golf carts and off road vehicles of any sort are not allowed on the roads in Bloomington-Normal, as I have never once seen one or on the bike path thru town that runs just a block from my house.

It's a good idea, tho.

On my way to Iowa City, weather is sunny and beautiful....

Maggie
The company I was GM at before retirement got into and still manufactures what are termed by the Feds as LSV. Here is the IL, law, not local governments can prohibit such vehicles but they must enact a specific law doing so. The wording of this and it's contents are fairly similar across the country or were when I retired. The popularity has not grown as fast as our marketing people predicted, I think in large part do to people considering them unsafe and the low price of gas/diesel.
"Illinois has two new laws on the books regarding street use of low-speed vehicles and golf carts.
Though they often look similar, the vehicles have very different features and requirements. Here’s an explanation:
*Low-speed vehicles
Low-speed vehicles now can be driven on any road with a posted speed limit of 30 mph or less, as long as they are titled and registered with the Secretary of State’s Office.
LSVs must be certified by the U.S. Department of Transportation. An LSV is defined as any self-propelled 4-wheeled vehicle with an engine displacement under 1200cc that can reach a speed of 20 to 25 mph and which conforms to federal regulations.
The cost to title a low speed vehicle is $30, and the annual registration cost is $19.
Municipalities previously were required to enact local ordinances before LSVs could use local roads. Now, by contrast, a municipality must pass an ordinance in order to prohibit LSVs on its streets.
Since the new law took effect, 123 LSV license plates have been issued, secretary of state spokesman Henry Haupt said."

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 AM   #2380
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interesting....

I've never seen one here, so I don't know what the story is, but personally feel we have too much traffic and being on one would be very unsafe.

I finished a really good book last night..."Blood Hollow", by William Kent Krueger.

A crime mystery (my favorite), set in the Minnesota Northwoods...mix in a bit of Native American folklore and spirituality, it was a very good read.

Maggie