Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #2341
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
A bit slow to respond, but...

Hi Maggie,

Love the "make it yourself" attitude and the results.

As to a car, I am not certain why you are selling the Matrix as to use the Interstate for a daily driver could be more expensive than having a second vehicle...maintenance, etc considered.

If you can find a monthly rental for the times you are in town, this may be more economical than to have one sit for six months each year.

But, if I am up your way and we meet for lunch, I can always pull my AS to your house and pick you up...LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #2342
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Happy Mother's Day to you, as well, Evelyn, and to all Mothers everywhere.

My son is grilling tomorrow, and I will be a guest who brings a loaf of fresh bread.

Hi Tommie!

My original plan was to sell the Matrix and get a larger vehicle, it being 11 years old, but, most importantly....me wanting and needing something a bit larger.

My SIL offered to buy it months ago, knowing it is a good vehicle that has been well cared for, and they will be home from NYC in June....planning to fly out, and drive it back. I'm going to use that $ to finish paying off the Interstate.

He has already sold his money-sucking MG, and has been driving their other car back and forth to work.

So, that plan and commitment is already in place, and then I got to thinking...why not be car-less for awhile, save the $ to put a sizeable down payment on another vehicle, or purchase one outright.

On an average week, I don't put 20 miles on the Matrix, so I'm not terribly concerned about that, and I could condense trips out even more if I set my mind to it.

I would definitely rent a car for the Nov-Jan months home. It just seems sensible, to me, to be without a second vehicle for awhile, given that I am gone in the Interstate 6-8 months out of every year.

I'm going to try it... for at least a year, I'm thinking... and see how it goes. If nothing else, I will save more $ for another vehicle.

Would love to see you any time, Tommie.

I didn't dump my tanks on the way back from Iowa Sunday morning....never a good day to pull into the county campground and get in the line-up to use their facilities ...so am going to do that here in a bit.

Bob's modification to the attachment end of my Rhino sewer hose has made the difference between night and day in my dump station experience...a matter of a few seconds, to get it on or off.

Thank you, Bob.

A few plants to get in, plenty of other things needing tended to...I'm a nester in my heart.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #2343
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have...uneventfully ...dumped my tanks, gotten Lily of the Valley and some other perennials in, done a couple of loads of laundry, made a big batch of spinach pesto and roasted a pork loin while doing everything else.

I'm going to quit for now, as I have done a days work in 5 hours of near constant motion...minus some phone time ...plus it has begun to rain...I will perhaps have an early glass of wine. .

I need to mind my tendency to plant everything in shades of pink.

I love pink and light purple shrubs, flowers, bushes. Love...them....

And then, there is my ivy.

Doug and I put these trellis panels in along the front porch late fall of 2013, because I like to leave these windows uncovered, but still want some privacy from the street...and, I wanted ivy.

I planted these as planned, spring of 2014..sans Doug ...and they have done beautifully. I love to nurture their winding selves along the trellis, and to look at them.

This is my warm weather view from my favorite chair.

There is a hanging basket out there, over the rock and shell bed...also in white, pinks, and purples.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	262088  
Old 05-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #2344
Rivet Master

Maggie, I am happy for you that the previously dreaded, difficult task has become more manageable for you. I'm all for making things easier, (especially as the years go by...LOL)!

Your trellis looks nice and must create a cozy little spot for you to sit and relax. Nice!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #2345
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Rain, rain, and more rain.....but all new plantings are in the ground.

I saw this yesterday, and was really tempted.."Paris in Pink Lenten Rose"..for full shade. I don't have a good spot for it, tho.....

Fresh flower bouquets from each of my kids yesterday. I have great kids...good people, and responsible, productive citizens...fully launched into adulthood. I am very proud of them and the lives they have built for themselves.

Hardly a perfectly parent, I apparently did some things right. The truth is, we do the best we can with what we have to work with at the time, try our hardest, and hope for the best.

Reading a news page this morning, this was said about a certain politician..."It must be liberating to just have no regard for facts whatsoever." I'm going to remember that one.

Have you ever known people, or entities, like that? Just making up whatever suits the path they want to take?

Have you ever tried to fight lies or half truths designed to destroy a person or entity, promulgated by conscience and moral center absent individuals so evil it is almost tangible?

I could write a book, but would have to bill it as fiction as few would believe it was true.

But, I digress, so shall stop here, and wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day.

I'm going to bake my loaf of bread for dinner today, Skype with one child and visit the other.

I'm a very fortunate woman and mother this day.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	262119  
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #2346
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I watched a man on Rachel Ray do DO bread the other day, and rather than doing the light pat-and-fold on a floured surface, he just pulled the dough loose, folded it lightly a couple of times, and left it in the bowl for that second, hour or so, rise.

So, I tried that technique this morning, and it worked great!

I still dropped the dough onto parchment paper for the second rise in the bowl, because it is easier to get the dough in the DO without burning yourself, in my opinion, but a very nice looking loaf without the mess of the flour.

Thought I would share, for those of you bread bakers out there.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	68
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	262130  
Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #2347
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Where else

This thread has some nice qualities....where else can we chat about dumping our tanks and baking bread on the same page....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #2348
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

It's my thread, so as long as we don't grossly violate the rules...I do drift a bit into forbidden topics on occasion, but it's part of who I am...we can talk about anything we like.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #2349
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Happy Mother's Day Maggie and all the Mom's who are on the forum and this thread.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #2350
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
And, Happy Momma's Day

For sure, Maggie, for sure!
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #2351
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

I can't wait for you to meet Lily this summer, Bud. She is the dearest thing.

I seldom sleep much into daybreak, but this morning it was almost 6 before I woke up. I had no sooner changed positions and begun to wake than she scooted up next to me to nuzzle my face and get some lovin'.

I think she feels touch deprived over the nights, lover dog that she is. You can always tell a dog that receives a lot of physical affection...not all dogs do, but Lily is one that loves to be petted and scratched, and craves it. Sweet Lily.

I made this my wallpaper on the IPad, I love it so, and am going to start on my tabby pavers this week. I'm excited to see how they do.

Looking at my large supply of chalcedony rose from New Mexico last year, I may do a couple with some of those smaller pieces in them...I'll have to see how the color of the cement sets up, and whether there would be sufficient contrast for them to be interesting looking.

My friend in MN has a rock tumbler, and I am fixin to ship off to her my little pile that are especially rosette, and could be made into pendants for the girls in the family.

It apparently takes weeks to tumble rocks properly, so she will then have them for me when I see her in July on my way West.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	78
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	262134  
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #2352
Rivet Master

Maggie, your pic of shells is very unusual and pretty., especially the one in the lower left corner....looks like a perfect tree in the shell! I saved the pic for my file...hope you don't mind?
Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #2353
Rivet Master

Oh, when I enlarged the photo, I see that tree is actually a logo. Oops!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #2354
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got that picture off the internet, Evelyn, but that's what I am going to model mine after.

This lady had spread cement on a bare wall area of concrete on her house, as I recall, then imbedded shells in it, so it was vertical. I love the way it looks, and can't wait to see my own.

I suspect these shells had been sprayed with clear Rustoleum, but am not sure. I bought a can of that, and am going to try it on a couple and see how it looks.

I like the natural look of them, but also these.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #2355
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In my Mother Earth Newsletter this morning..

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...x?newsletter=1

I haven't baked a loaf of traditional bread since I discovered the no-knead, DO recipe in late 2013. It is just so easy, delicious and trouble free.... but she has some good ideas here.

I think one could add 1/2 cup of leftover mashed potato to a DO loaf, perhaps reduce the water just a bit, and it would work out very well. Might be a bit more sourdough-ish, I don't know, tho certainly edible.

This lady freezes leftover mashed potato in Ziploc bags, for bread making purposes whenever she feels the urge.

I haven't used rolled oats as an add-in, either, but 1/2 cup of those would work well and perhaps be a bit less chewy in the final product than the steel cut oats that are my favorite.

My loaf for yesterday was very well received, Emma exclaiming "Grandma, did you MAKE that?! It looks just like the ones at the store!!!"

Cute. . 3 slices later, she'd had enough, and there was only a couple of pieces left after 6 of us ate it for dinner as our "good carb".

I told her I would show her how to make it when she got a bit bigger. She will soon be 10, but is a bit of a mite, so not quite ready to handle a DO, but if she ever wants to do it I will help her.

It's what Grandma's do. )

Maggie
Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #2356
Rivet Master

Grandma teaching a little one to make DO bread.....how wonderful that will be! And the memories she will have forever! Lucky girl.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #2357
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Try putting in a half cup of mashed pinto beans sometimes. Makes the bread a complete protein as well as a good carb.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #2358
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I dropped the Interstate off at Cummins Crosspoint just north of me, to have them look at the generator switch...to discover they do full servicing of motor coaches.

About 1 1/2 miles from my house.

They are going to look at a couple of other things for me, and give an estimate for the standard oil/filter service, and I may give them a try rather than Peterbilt....which has been excellent, but is much farther away.

I saw a cook lady on Dr, Oz the other day make this, and thought I would give it a try. I should eat more eggs than I do, really, but am lazy about cooking them.

Egg Muffin Bake

12 eggs (or 11 in my case, as one went to Lily )
1/3 cup or so milk, salt and pepper, a little onion powder...beat well.

Cooked turkey sausage, or other cooked meats or vegetables, dropped into the bottom of 12 greased muffin tins.

Spoon beaten eggs and seasonings over ingredients in cups, top with a little shredded cheddar or other cheese, bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so til done. Voila!

Kind of a little frittata, done on the same principle, but in individual portions.

Breakfast today, and others to be pulled from the freezer at a later time. What's not to love.

You could put anything you wanted to in these....bread cubes, herbs, fresh spinach, cooked leftover vegetables or pasta, etc.

Yum!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	74
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	262248  
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #2359
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie, those sound like a great breakfast or on the run pop of of protein.

We make something similar with ground turkey when were having breakfast guests. When I need to have something more pop in the oven than stand at the stove.

And love the idea of baking bread with the wee ones.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #2360
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi there!

They are quite tasty, and I will do this again.

Maggie