Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #2301
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Miss Alice, playing Minecraft this morning.

Such a young lady she has become ...not so much a little girl but more a young lady.

We hung out here together last evening, then she, Lily and I all slept in this bed last night.

A crowded bed, with Lily taking her share out of the middle, but we did fine.

Love my babies.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	261617  
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #2302
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug's sweet daughter, on her way to a birthday party last night, where one was to dress as a Bohemian.

I told her she looked like a hippie chick.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	107
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	261619  
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #2303
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
she does...

I liked them....
Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #2304
Rivet Master

Lily must have been in heaven...between the two of you...in her special spot! Alice does seem like such a sweet young lady...she has a soft look about her. I know both of you are enjoying this special relationship that you share. I hope it continues as she matures into adulthood. You are teaching her so much. Lucky girl!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #2305
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug's daughter was in Jacksonville, Fl recently, for work....and drove up to see and spend some time on his memorial bench in Brunswick, GA.

She said it is beautiful, and has been moved from the rear garden to near the entrance of the facility.

I am going to visit it this next winter, too. I want to see it.

We are home. A good trip.

Now...back to home chores.

Maggie
Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2306
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I have not found a thread for this on Airstream site, just wondering if any Airstreamers are involved with RV-Care A Vanners. I have been on a build in Al 2 years ago and was in Louisiana this past winter from Jan to April with Habitat for Humanity helping to refurbish houses in the Thibodeaux area of LA and in both cases I was the only AS'r. I find joining these groups much more satisfying then the rallies or caravans.
Last winter I stayed in the same park and Habitat paid half the costs plus I got to meet many volunteers because most of them only stayed for 2 weeks. It would be nice to see more silver in these groups.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #2307
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a thread on this somewhere, and other Airstreamers who do Habitat.

You maybe just haven't come across them yet.

Doug and I had thought about doing this, then came across Lily and brought her into our lives.

We/I would have to leave her alone all day to do a build, so never got started on it. I make my contributions in other ways.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2016, 04:37 AM   #2308
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Doug and I had thought about doing this, then came across Lily and brought her into our lives.

I may have posted this before, in any case "We don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need". I've found this to be the case so many times in my rehabilitation of dogs it has become one of my motto's. Lily is the perfect example, as are my two and the one prior - who helped me secure my dog training MBA.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #2309
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
May 2nd.

One of the things about a woodstove...you get really spoiled with the warm and dry of them.

No furnace kicking on and off, leaving spats of cool air before it kicks on again.

It has rained off and on for days, with lows in the 40's and a high today of only 55.

Cave-like in the little house....we do fire, and revel in its radiant heat.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	261707  
Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #2310
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A hard lesson to learn...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	261708  
Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #2311
Rivet Master

I like that quote, Maggie. Not everyone has the determination to continue on alone. You are most certainly one who has worked hard at it and is very successful. You should be proud!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #2312
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't know that I feel proud of it, Evelyn....nor whether it is killing me or making me stronger.

I just get up and go on, because that's what I do.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 AM   #2313
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a puttering day around the little house yesterday....a little laundry, putting away my purchases from the Amish grocery, starting a loaf of bread to bake later today.

I made a loaf of Cranberry Orange Bread with walnuts last week, and have been enjoying that toasted for breakfast. Yum .

I use a lot of dried cranberries in the course of a year...mueslix, scones, bread, cookies, etc...good and good for you. Picked up some more Saturday, also some dried blueberries. My baking cabinet is full to bursting.

Taking my 2005 Matrix in for servicing this morning...that little car has served us very well, tho time soon for something larger as the grands are getting so big.. I had a RAV4 before this...going to move back that direction, methinks.

Not much going on here, the rest of my lily of the valley should be here today, I will get them in the ground and that bed will be done.

My molds arrived, so tabby pavers will be coming soon.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #2314
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"The highest, most decisive experience is to be alone with one’s own self. You must be alone to find out what supports you, when you find that you can not support yourself. Only this experience can give you an indestructible foundation."-—C.G. Jung
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #2315
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.”
– Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #2316
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When my daughter and her hubby are out here in June, they are buying my Matrix and driving it home to Brroklyn.

Twil be his work car, his little MG just starting to take way too much out of their pocket in repairs, so he sold it earlier this year.

I'm seriously considering waiting until next year...perhaps later...to replace it, as the Interstate can be a daily driver for me in all but the off season, most of which time I am gone, anyway.

And, it of course will accommodate the near-grown grands.

I will hold out for an interest free financing, but why make a payment on a vehicle at all, to sit in my garage 6+ months out of the year.

I can save that money to put a larger deposit on a new vehicle.

Figured I could rent something for November and December, by the time I am home in the spring the interstate is allowed to live in my driveway.

Hmmm? Any thoughts to share on this out there?

Maggie
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #2317
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The staff of life.....
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	90
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	261805  
Old 05-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #2318
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
When my daughter and her hubby are out here in June, they are buying my Matrix and driving it home to Brroklyn.

Twil be his work car, his little MG just starting to take way too much out of their pocket in repairs, so he sold it earlier this year.

I'm seriously considering waiting until next year...perhaps later...to replace it, as the Interstate can be a daily driver for me in all but the off season, most of which time I am gone, anyway.

And, it of course will accommodate the near-grown grands.

I will hold out for an interest free financing, but why make a payment on a vehicle at all, to sit in my garage 6+ months out of the year.

I can save that money to put a larger deposit on a new vehicle.

Figured I could rent something for November and December, by the time I am home in the spring the interstate is allowed to live in my driveway.

Hmmm? Any thoughts to share on this out there?

Maggie
Interesting thoughts. You might consider a Certified Used Rav 4 as you mentioned you had one before. The Toyota Certification program is pretty good as they go. Usually is a pretty new car, gone over fully, new tires and anything else that needs replacing and the new warranty is 100,000 miles on most of the expensive stuff. I don't care for leasing. In my work life we pushed leasing to golf courses for golf carts and utility vehicle and it worked for them, "pay for only the part you use" then just turn it in. We made money on the leases, we sold them to a finance company and picked up 4 basis points (2%) on the cost of the lease. I am pretty confident car dealerships do the same as they sell the lease, usually to their parent company leasing arm and pick up some points on the front end. So, it's true one is paying for the part of the vehicle they use, but also for the privilege of spreading it out over a period of time. Buying outright or financing with THEIR money ie 0% is the best and cheapest way to go. It's real easy to calculate the cost of the 0% loan - $16.67 per thousand dollars per month. Of course in addition to the car there is tax etc. Our daughter bought one that way and it's worked for her. Plus with new one usually gets the full warranty for at least 36 months, but only using the car for six months your warranty is actually only 18 months.

It's about all I have, we don't carry debt in retirement, we save and buy what we want and if we can't save enough we do without.

The end of the year is a great time to buy, depends on the Presidential election a bit this year, but there will be incentives, cash back, zero % or a combination of stuff as they don't want to pay the taxes on the inventory at year end.

Bud
Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #2319
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wouldn't "lease", but "rent", as from Enterprise.....from whenever the Interstate went into storage in November until I headed out in it in early January.

It would be money into a black hole, of a sort, but would be greatly offset by no monthly payment nor vehicle insurance. It would also prevent a vehicle from sitting in my garage, depreciating tho unused much of the year.

Have been making payments on the Interstate these past 9 years, and double payments most of that time, so a payment is manageable....I just am thinking I can do without it for at least a couple of years, save the money.

I have some time to think about it...but am thinking about it.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #2320
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Maggie;

Raining here, trying to stay out of Alice's way, finished with two dogs rehabilitation SO, for giggles I called Enterprise.

If I were to rent a Rav 4 in Pittsburgh for a month it would be $1,099.99 + tax, which for us is $13.99, but I don't think they are right on that part. Unlimited miles, etc, same as renting a car. Not bad really. A $30,000 RAV 4, amortized over 54 months at 0% interest would be $555.56 per month, plus all your expenses, insurance, maintenance.

So, not a bad idea at all if only needed for two months. The agent told me if returned early the rate defaults to daily or weekly rates which ever is less.

Number is 800-209-3602. OR https://legacy.enterprise.com/car_re...ebTransaction3

Needless to say I love doing this sort of stuff.

Bud