Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #2281
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, that would be hard, Bud.

I don't know that I will ever be ready to deal directly with hospice patients....someone else can do that who doesn't crochet prayer shawls.

My Monday afternoons there are a paperwork task...rather tedious, lengthy, and uninspiring...tho necessary to Tuesday morning clinical staffings, and I don't mind helping out with that, but every week when I am home is more than I want.

However, I needed to be involved in something outside of here...and, so I have.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #2282
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yep, that would be hard, Bud.

I don't know that I will ever be ready to deal directly with hospice patients....someone else can do that who doesn't crochet prayer shawls.

My Monday afternoons there are a paperwork task...rather tedious, lengthy, and uninspiring...tho necessary to Tuesday morning clinical staffings, and I don't mind helping out with that, but every week when I am home is more than I want.

However, I needed to be involved in something outside of here...and, so I have.

Maggie
And it's terrific what you do. We see all kinds of volunteers doing all kinds of great work for the Hospice. Ours is as one can imagine right "on the line", much of the time we spend is spent or rather the dogs spend time with the families and the staff people. My wife Alice interacts with the patients quite a bit, I'm watching both dogs just to make sure no one pokes one in the eye, tries to feed them medicine etc.

It's great what you do, no one we have seen knits for the patients that we have seen.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #2283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a group of women associated with this Hospice, who all make and donate prayer shawls, and one is given to each patient....that has been going on for a long time I believe.

Maybe something special about this Volunteer Coordinator, that she organized this.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #2284
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really like the looks of this....kind of beach-ey and rustic looking.

Back yard flower bed is weeded, Preened, plants are fed, and it is tidied with a fresh layer of cedar mulch....ready for the season.

Only one area left..."the far back", as it always been called...a more wild and unruly area, a full mornings' choring all in itself...and it will wait til next week.

Over the 21 years we were married, Doug and I nearly always did yard work and choring of any kind together...then would invariably reward ourselves with something yummy grilled on the patio.

Steak, if he had his way, accompanied by an equally delicious adult beverage ...can I mix you a drink, babe? he would say, and so he would...gin & tonic or Jameson & Ginger were the regulars, presented with a flourish and a smile.

We would sit together, admire our handiwork, and praise ourselves for just getting ourselves out there and doing it.

Heading to Iowa after needlework group on Thursday...his grave and the rosebush I planted need their spring tending, and the falcon I had a metal sculpter make to place there has been pulled from the spot it has been in the past year or so by the little house....and will go in there.

The falcon being the Gunsite logo...such an important part of who Doug was...and it needs to watch over his resting spot.

He will nod from his perch in the afterlife and say thank you, honey.

Sigh. Life.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	261417  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #2285
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Yeah, I like those rocks!! I can just imagine the colors when they're wet!!!! good work...Hugs and love to ya!!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #2286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was my thought, Gail....and, these are Edisto colors.

When I saw these stones, I had to have them.

I may do the same thing on the opposite side of the house.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #2287
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Rocks looking good.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #2288
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sweet, long time, mail lady leaves the end of this week for a better route....one with much less walking involved.

I'm going to miss her.

My daughter and hers in Brooklyn find it incredible that I know what my mail lady looks like, much less her name, have a face-to-face relationship with her, and her cell phone number.

She went thru all the what-to-do-with-mail-when-you're-away trials with us, greeted me with a hug and tears in her eyes when I returned home without Doug two years ago, and she with the regular sub then sent me a sympathy card.

She has always kept an extra eye on things when we are away, and calls if anything seems at all amiss.

Always a smile and a kind word...just one of those generally good people, brightening every day their little corner of the world.

I really, really appreciate people like her, and went into our favorite flower and garden shop looking for a little something special to send her off with.

The young lady suggested one of these little begonias, then wrapped this lovely paper around it.

Perfect.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	103
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	261460  
Old 04-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #2289
Rivet Master

A very pretty plant and such a lovely and thoughtful gift. It is sure to be appreciated.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #2290
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the facts of life is that people pass thru it....some stay longer, some shorter, but most are not lifetime experiences.

All the more reason to verbalize your appreciation for those who make the world a better place....you never know when it might be too late.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #2291
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Hear, hear.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #2292
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, Dennis Hastert is going to prison.....another in a long line in this state.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #2293
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Finally!!!!!

Another heathen out of commission.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #2294
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A bit late, but it does give one hope.....for there's more out there.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #2295
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a good dog is one that sees a gate that swung open in the back yard, but doesn't go thru it to run illegally around the neighborhood.

I didn't know it was open til I went back to let her inside. She was standing in the yard, looking at it and looking at me...better get that, it's not supposed to be open!. Sweet baby Lily.

Interstate is loaded and ready to go, after dodging rain yesterday and today.

Off to needlework group soon...where I will put on my very best attitude, swipe my little card and allow them to track my movement within the building.

My drainspout rocks and shells are looking quite nice, adding a bright spot in otherwise dark areas.

I'm pleased with these small improvements, and the visual appeal of these simple, inanimate, objects that remind me of places I love.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #2296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was good to see my needlework ladies yesterday, and I politely consented on the way in to a photograph "for identification purposes".

Why, really, does one need a photo for membership at the Senior Center , but the computer prompted me when I checked in for needlework group ....so, I just did it like a good little sheep.

Across the Illinois River, overnighted at our favorite, midway spot, and across the Mississippi this morning....into Iowa, and Doug country.

We would get past Burlington and he would begin "I remember when...", and I would hear the same stories every, single, time. .

I now tell them to his kids and grandkids, for I know his stories better than they.

There is such an emotional weight that comes with doing alone the things he and I always did together....no matter what it is, that's what comes....gut-level sadness and grief, for all the times that were.

We are settled in at beautiful, peaceful Grace Hill...falcon is in place and rosebush tended to.

It has survived another winter.

On to Iowa City tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #2297
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Good job. Well done.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:20 AM   #2298
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is no place more quiet than Grace Hill at night.

There was a time when I would not have slept in a cemetery, but I feel very safe here...Doug, his Dad, Grandpa, Uncles, Union veterans. No safer place for me.

My first trip out in the Interstate after Doug died was to this cemetery over that first Memorial Day weekend. Spent 3 nights here, planted the rose bush, his kids and mine came, his Mom, sister, etc.

We sat and talked, cried a bit...just like back in the day, when families would visit cemeteries en masse to tend the graves, bring picnics, socialize.

It most likely happened here, this cemetery going back to pre-Civil war days.

Doug was here at age 4 years, with his Mother and sister to bury his Dad, whom he is now buried next to...just as he wanted.

History all around me, and under my feet.

Slept like the dead last night, and Lily too, after running and romping all over the place yesterday.

Fenced in, up on a hill, no place for her to go....not that she would if she could. Lily loves her mama.

Her olfactory senses are a bit assaulted out here. She hears and smells farm and other animals not native to town , and feels she must be on high alert lest they intrude on our space....even tho she can't see them, she knows they are there.

Running the perimeter of the cemetery...ears, the hair on her back, and tail up.. Good exercise. .

I think she is down a few pounds since her Dr. visit in January. I've been carefully measuring her dog food each day. She asks for more, but I don't give it to her.

It got pretty chilly last night, then began to rain, so I thought I would turn on the generator, give it some exercise and run the optional heat in the AC unit. Ummm, no.

Dead as a door nail. No light, no sound, no nothing.

I can't tell which fuse goes to that switch, tho I got down with my flashlight on the floor and looked at the fuse box , but I suspect the problem may be the switch itself.

That has been replaced once already in the past 9 years, as I recall. It could stand a full service job, anyway, so will run it up to the Cummins guys north of me when I get home and let them give it a good going over.

Less than 70 hours on that generator, compared to 170,000+ miles on the Interstate, it hasn't seen a whole lot of use.

So, fired up the furnace to take the chill and damp out of here....all the comforts of home, tho if I had a tiny wood stove it would be a-burnin'.

Going to make a stop at the Amish grocery in Kalona on the way to the big city later this morning....2lb rolls of butter for $6 or so, oats, nuts, flours, etc., by the ounce or pound, and at great prices.

I will stock up.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	125
Size:	595.3 KB
ID:	261558  
Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #2299
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
good morning Maggie... thinking of you... hugs and love, gail
Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #2300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And you, Gail.

Butter is up to $4.19/lb, no longer sold in 2 lb rolls but in varying sized blocks.

A 3 1/2lb chunk in the little frig, to be cut into more manageable sizes for my freezer at home.

King Arthur flour @$.59/lb.

What's not to love.

Maggie