Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #2261
Rivet Master

Maggie, I don't know that I would want to give out all that personal information, that could then be shared with who knows who! Seems like a lot of over kill for such a simple thing. It appears that the more government influence there is placed on simple pleasures....the more difficult things have become.. Just my 2 cents.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #2262
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It seems unnecessary to me, as does "membership", and "identification cards", for a facility meant to help and support aging citizens.

The membership fee might also be a hardship for some with very limited incomes, preventing their participation.

The facility the program is in now is rented, the new one opening Monday is Township owned.

Their building, their rules, apparently.

It's not for me right now, nor a cause I intend to take up.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #2263
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After sleeping on this , I'm not going to abandon this group I have enjoyed so much just because the Membership application is so off-putting.

I am going to opt out of portions of their form, pay my $25, sign their releases, and see how that goes over.

Can they require that one list medical issues as a condition of Membership, then affixing witnessed signature agreeing to update these issues as needed? What???

You are signing a highly detailed release of any liability of any kind for you or your heirs, so for what reason do they need this information? Surely that is an option, not a requirement.

These people are not caregivers, nor are they asked to be...this is a Senior Center, providing low key activities and optional meals. Its subsidies come from a number of public sources, including the federal government.

It is fricking annoying, and I'm not sure legal. Are they bound by HIPAA laws, who sees your medical information? Do they develop stats for who has diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, ALS, Parkinson's, AIDS??? Do the Feds know they are gathering this information, and have regulations governing its storage and use?

Personal responsibility dictates that one insure medical first responders are quickly aware of ones critical issues, and that's where that responsibility should lie....or not, if a person chooses not to carry/wear that information.

My medical information is not all that special, but it feels intrusive to be required to provide it to attend a needlework group.

Doing a little online research, fees for Senior Centers are not unusual, nor are Membership Applications, but I didn't find any that looked like the one for Normal Township.

I'm on a bit of a rant, so I will add to that the "House Calls" program my SOI healthcare provider has....where they call your home and cell number incessantly, wanting to set up an appointment so that a "licensed professional" can come into your home, conduct a physical history and examination, observe your environment, etc., then doing a write up that you can share with your medical provider. What???

They can tell from your billings that you see your medical providers regularly, fill your prescriptions, etc.

For what reason would they then need to send yet another, outside person into your home to do a physical examination, etc.

I could see that this service could be helpful for someone who was medically frail, housebound, etc., but even then one would have local home health care providers, who coordinated directly with your medical providers....not someone outside your provider loop, employed by your insurance company.

I finally called the insurer and had them take my home and cell numbers out of their databases, as telling callers I was not interested had no deterrent effect, and this finally stopped the calls. Yikes.

It's been one of those weeks.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #2264
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looking at this issue online, a Township run Senior Center does not appear to be covered HIPAA privacy laws.

I have not found another Senior Center Membership application that asks for medical information, either.

It's the principle of the thing.

I'm just going to quietly decline to provide medical information. I'll let y'all know how this turns out.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #2265
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

I've been known to put "NYDB" in blanks on forms....you would be amazed how many people don't know what that means.

Let us know how this wirks out. If you get any guff, ask to see a copy of the regulations that allows them to ask this information. I suspect HIPAA might have an opinion on this.

None of Your D... Business

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #2266
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm just going to cross thru the section asking for medical/mobility/allergies and write "decline to provide".

I'm taking responsibility for myself, they don't need this information...tho they may want it, for whatever reason. Everything in the 3 page document you have to fill out and sign seems geared toward avoiding liability, but still....unsecured medical information.

If they have medical information on Members, what are they going to do with it, other than perhaps tally medical condition totals?

Any staff can peruse forms of hundreds of Members, their neighbors, perhaps, to see whose got what?

Run to look at it if someone passes out, before calling 911 or providing basic first aid?

Any responsible adult with a chronic medical condition, requiring immediate attention in the event of an emergency, would wear and/or carry information stating just that.

I also have a real issue with membership fees being required with the new facility as these will exclude those at the lowest income levels who would otherwise attend but can't afford the fees. No where is there mention of a waiver of these for those who can't pay, tho there may be many would hesitate to ask.

Their website says the fees are not to make money but to encourage people to use the facility, because if they pay for it they will use it.

I know that some of the folks who come to the Senior Center are in public nursing homes, meaning very limited incomes.

Looking at this online, membership fees are common tho not universal. I doubt the one Doug's Mom went into for her noon meal Mon-Fri had a membership fee, as that would have pissed her off and she would have mentioned it.

Seems exclusionary, to me, perhaps wanting to keep out "the riff raff"...a phrase I heard someone recently use" ...tho lower income Seniors need services and activities, too.

It is a bit offensive, the whole package, but I'm going to be a big girl and swallow all but that one section.

If they refuse to allow my Membership without all of that, I will ask for rules, regs, etc.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #2267
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Good for you Maggie!

It's all part of data mining, data sharing, data gathering, data selling and for what good. The various systems don't communicate with each other anyway.

If the end goal is that I can go into a emergency room in a hospital in Timbuktu and they can pull up all my medical information and properly treat me that's nice. I do not see that happening anytime soon/ever

At work the transportation survey became mandatory so we would all comply otherwise federal transportation funding would be withheld.

On my phone Google keeps asking if I know certain people, well quite looking at our contact lists Google its noneya!

At the car dealership the salespeople kept taking the phone numbers from the service writer and calling with solicitations. A direct letter to the dealership finally knocked that off.

I know in the scheme of things its small potatoes, very small, however it IS the principle and people should not be required to share all their details with strangers because a box needs to be filled in.

I have nothing to hide but would like to have some choice or option. And some wise butt telling me well you don't need to have a smart phone or your free to go elsewhere is not the choice I refer to.

Maggie good luck with your decision. The nominal fee I understand, a contact number for you and an emergency contact maybe. The rest sorry.

Freedom of information act, hippa, records retention and disposal requirements etc.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #2268
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
There must be an elected governing body that oversees the rules for that facility--Town Council, etc. If you have time and feel strongly about changing this, I'd suggest you place the matter on their agenda for the next meeting (this is required here in Texas, but may be different there) and go speak to them about it. Take as many of the seniors who use the facility as possible with you. Skip the appointed and merely employed folks and go to the ones who have to face the local voters every once in a while.

It's possible the council members are clueless about the issues you've raised. In any case, the squeaking wheel principle usually works.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #2269
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't have a problem being a squeaky wheel when the situation calls for it , but for now I will lead a small rebellion of one.

I filled out my Member Participation Form and paid my $25 annual fee for a single person , declining to provide my email address, medical info or to sign the release of information so that my personal information can be used.

There was someone looking over the forms to be sure they were filled out correctly, but she did not question nor challenge my alterations to it.

Once registered, they give you a little scan card for your keychain, which you are supposed to scan each time you come in, and then tap on a computer screen menu for where you are going .... "in case someone calls here looking for you".

They wanted to take my picture with their computer, I politely declined that, too. There are three pages of rules, all pretty much common sense and reasonable.

I did ask what arrangements there were for Seniors who could not afford the Membership Fee, as even low income Seniors should have access to the Center...nothing formally in place, apparently, "but I'm sure something could be worked out".

A fee waiver isn't openly offered for folks below a certain income, nor does it appear anywhere on their Website, and it is hard for many to ask. I think this should be changed, and low income participants encouraged.

I do know one of the people on their new advisory board, as he and his wife were foster parents for many years, and they are good people. I will talk with him privately when I see him next.

A Senior Center. Yikes.

Little house is cleaned and sparkling, and I have laid in provisions for the grands who will be here tomorrow and spend the night with Grandma.

We will build a fire in the new fire pit, roast hot dogs, and I will bake the annual birthday cake for all 3 of them....the two boys having birthdays within a month of each other in the spring, Emma's in July.

They like that, and we have done those the past few years...since they all graduated to "friends" parties, rather than the extended family gatherings of small children.

Tea and I are now having a break.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #2270
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Emma's flowering crab apple tree, in the back yard of the little house, is in full bloom just a few days out of the year...

Looks like it needs to be shaped, doesn't it....I think I have a small hacksaw around here somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	742.2 KB
ID:	261182  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #2271
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Chocolate cake...baked, frosted, and ready to go.

I used the recipe off a box of TJ's Cocoa...3 sticks of butter, 5 eggs, 3 cups of buttermilk. The leftovers will go home with the kids in the morning.

Bale of straw picked up to bolster the archery target behind the shed.

Small shelf unit for my daughters old room...now "the girls room" when the grands overnight...not quite put together, tho I did get the cordless drill out and pretty much took care of it.

I'm having trouble getting some of those screws in straight, but reinforcements will be here soon.

I get into that tool bag, and I just want to weep. . But, I didn't.

Neighbors to the south and I jointly undertook fence repair this morning....our respective dogs are determined to dig and claw their way to each other, and their wood panel fence has taken a hit.

Wielding heavy hammer and long nails, I did my part from this side.

I am woman...hear me roar.

Next weekend...Iowa.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #2272
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Sometimes better than being the squeaking wheel is knowing somebody, and it looks like you do. Way to go, Maggie!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #2273
Rivet Master

Good for you, Maggie! You keep on "roaring"! Enjoy the grands today. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #2274
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Sometimes better than being the squeaking wheel is knowing somebody, and it looks like you do. Way to go, Maggie!
Well, I will talk with him, and see what his response is.

I might write a letter, but I'll wait awhile.

I just think it's wrong to charge for the Senior Center which was previously free, and not offer a waiver for those who can't afford it.

Maggie
Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #2275
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The chocolate cake was delicious.

It makes a huge cake, in two 9" pans, so I split the layers before frosting.

The kids were delighted.

They ran their legs off yesterday, playing electronics-free in my backyard yard, and basketball with a neighbor child. I like tired children at bedtime.

Having a string of perfect weather, going to pick up a couple of bags of those very large river rocks I spied at Home Depot and do some downspout modification today.

I'm in the mood for yard things....best take advantage of that while it is here, as when the heat sets in I will be not-so-interested.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	261276  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #2276
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I were slugs yesterday...both of us tired from the activity of the grands, so we did basically nothing productive, but tidy up the house.

Got some more cedar mulch this morning for the back yard flower beds, and picked up the large, smooth, beach rocks I spied last week at Home Depot ....I'm going to love looking at those, even tho I have never been on a beach that had rocks that looked like that.

It's the colors I will appreciate.

I resume volunteer Mondays at the hospice center this week, tho now have someone to share that weekly task with, so I won't need to do it every Monday....and, that's okay.

Not much going on here, just checking in.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #2277
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Thx for checking in. I check daily to see what you're up to and confirm that you are okay.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #2278
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie... about the same here... doing the brother thing... thinking it's sunny and the yard is calling me!!!! pats and hugs and love from Oregon
Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #2279
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're sweet.

I have my range of days, like everyone else....much of which I share here, not everything...but I am always okay.

I appreciate my friends here.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #2280
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I resume volunteer Mondays at the hospice center this week, tho now have someone to share that weekly task with, so I won't need to do it every Monday....and, that's okay.

Since I've trained both our dogs to be Certified Therapy dogs we go weekly to several facilities. It actually is becoming a bit much as each week someone who looked forward to the dogs and who we enjoyed siting with - passes on. The dogs actually guided us to one persons room and immediately knew they were not there, relatives picking up personal items. Made all four of us sad. So, we are cutting back and then gone for three months this summer and fall.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote