Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 AM   #2221
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sourdough starter isn't doing much , tho its bubbles lead me to believe it is alive...and eventually will become useable.

I really want to resurrect it....it is a challenge Another small feed this morning, so we'll see what this next 24 hours brings.

I watched a documentary last evening entitled "No Place on Earth", about 38 Jewish men, women and children who survived the Holocaust in the western Ukraine by hiding for a year and a half in caves deep underground.

Such...hardship...a struggle for life we cannot begin to imagine. An amazing story, central to it a strong, brave and determined mother, who did whatever it took to survive.

I have also finished a rather fluff book, about love, loss and survival...touching on the afterlife, spirits of loved ones staying close, etc....set in Ireland, which Doug and I loved, and visited 5 times, I believe.

I loved this line, referring to a special place by the sea. "The living are close to the dead there....it's one of the thin places, where the past and the present touch." The Lace Makers of Glenmara.

I like the concept of thin places, and thin moments.

Yard is coming along. Have decided to go with small, brick sized molds for my small space tabby endeavor....more suitable to the area I'm going to use them for, and they will be easier to manage.

I pulled broken shell bits from my rock bed yesterday, also gathered up all of the tiny shells I had found and brought back from Edisto. They will be perfect for this.

If you're ever there, watch the ground under and around your site, because it is full of tiny shells of all types.

Edisto is on "shell sand", per one of the Rangers...truck loads brought from other parts of the island to fill ruts and smooth out the roads in the campground, and the little guys sift to the surface. Fun to find them.

Another beautiful day in store....begging one to be outside snipping and trimming, tidying and feeding growing things.

Maggie
Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #2222
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now we are getting some real activity!

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	260900  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #2223
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The last of the mass of firewood from 2 years ago is moved to my patio, that area cleaned and ready for grass seed. My back is certainly stronger than when I first moved it there, but still aches in acknowledgment of such heavy labor.

Alas, firewood is now taking up about 1/3 of my total patio space, but it is finally all off the ground and out of the yard...and I will get to burning some of the odd bits in my new fire pit to reduce its quantity. I like fire.

The grands can practice their Boy Scout fire building skills next Saturday, and we will cook on it.

Christmas of 2013 we gave the boys a nice compound bow set, and Doug set up a target of straw bales for them in the far back of the yard.

Fast forward to 2 1/2 years later, and the three bales he put in place have understandably deteriorated, so I'm going to tackle replacing those this week.

I know where to get them, and Gorilla Cart will assist in their move from car to the back yard. Should be interesting.

I have a video of him out there with them that very mild Christmas, showing them the ropes with their new bow...they will like that, too.

I have ordered Lily of the Valley for the bed I dug up a few days ago, and have a few other plantings to get in...the yard is coming along, and will soon be as good as my yard gets.

I found 8" hexagonal molds online, very inexpensive and the perfect size, so have ordered a few and am going to use those with a sand/cement mix for my tabby pavers. It will be a process, making these 3 at a time, but that is okay.

I read somewhere that spraying shells with clear Rustoleum will bring their original colors back to life, so I may try that over the top surface. They are always so gorgeous when wet.

I think they will be lovely... a unique and special-to-me touch that I can enjoy every time I step outside.

I found this photo online... a small vertical area cemented over, with collected seashells pressed in.

I love it, and I have so many seashells. Anything that isn't going to be stepped on lends itself to many possibilities.

I have fed my starter again this morning, and am this afternoon going to mix a loaf of rye with it.

It is definitely alive, so we'll see.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	93
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	260934  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #2224
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Day 3, shortly after this morning's feed.

I've been pouring off the liquid that settles to the top each morning....dark, because it is an old starter.

Stirring it in would make the starter thinner, and more sour.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	260935  
Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #2225
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Day 3, shortly after this morning's feed.

I've been pouring off the liquid that settles to the top each morning....dark, because it is an old starter.

Stirring it in would make the starter thinner, and more sour.

Maggie
Do you have an airlock? (We know you have an Airstream! =>. )

I use airlocks on beer fermentation all the time. No introduction of undesirable flavors...or contamination..but strong aeration before ... And temp...

May not be appropriate for your starter... No reason to change if it is working for you...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #2226
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Channing, but sourdough starter in its active phase needs to breathe, so it is loosely covered with waxed paper.

After I use it...I hope it works ...I will feed it again, then seal it up the next day for the frig.

It is clearly alive, but not as active as I would like....however, it was in the freezer for at least the past 2 1/2 years.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #2227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the many skills Doug and I honed over 25 years working for the State of Illinois' Child Welfare system was to always pay attention to your gut.

If something doesn't feel right, it isn't right.

If you don't know what it is that unsettles you, pay attention and start looking, because something's there.

Some things I hate to be right about, but I was right about something this morning.

I'll spare you the gory details but I just felt something was amiss...and, it was.

Fixable, but disappointing nonetheless.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #2228
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I do hope your sourdough starter decides to get active. Nothing like a good sourdough. We just finished a loaf I bought last week at E & S. It toasted beautifully.

We drove straight through Illinois without stopping for the night and are now at the Minnesota Airstream Park. It is very pretty, even without the leaves fully out.

Your tabby pavers should be lovely. I had not heard of using the clear Rustoleum for your application. It works beautifully on patined surfaces, so I am anxious to see how it looks on the shells.

Be well, my friend.🙂
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #2229
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you get a chance to drive up the North Shore of Lake Superior from Duluth, Page, do it. A beautiful drive, and our favorite of all lakes.

The water is crystal clear, the stones silky smooth from the constant waves.

Minnesota is a state of water, forests and wide open spaces, and as you head west there is nothing but prairie...think Little House, and imagine the Ingalls family in their covered wagon.

I am going to mix a loaf of bread in a bit. just with unbleached white flour...and not make this geriatric starter work too terribly hard.

I've never kept a starter this long, so not sure just what to expect out of it. I do want to see what it's able to do.

Today has been one of those days...a test, to see how much I can handle, and handle I did...but soon I will have a shower and open one of my Sofia Coppola's....because, I deserve it.

Other than some human aggravation...dealt with.. I purchased 6 bags of cedar mulch and a 94lb bag of cement mix for my tabby stones...then hauled them from the car with my trusty Gorilla Cart.

Taxes are paid, check in the mail. It is not true that widows can file as married/filing jointly the year of a spouses death, and the year after, as I was told by the accountant who did our taxes last spring...and then posted here.

Don't count on that tax break, folks, as it ain't there. I was misinformed. That is only true if you have at least one dependent. Ummm, no.

Someone on these Forums advised me after Doug died to leave his name on our checking account, in case a check came in his name, so I would have someplace to deposit it.

Received a small refund from one of Doug's medical providers in Georgia today, which means the great State of Illinois has finally paid those bills. I had all the co-pays in within 6 months of his death, so overpaid a small bit, apparently. Took it to the bank, they stamped it "for deposit only", and that was that.

Thank you again, to whomever gave me that advice. I have had checks in his name now a couple of times, and keeping our joint account is not something I otherwise would have thought of.

Going to go mix that loaf of bread and see what happens.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #2230
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is me, today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	260963  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #2231
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We'll see what tomorrow brings...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	260966  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #2232
Rivet Master

Maggie, as always, your inner strength will see you through. God bless. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #2233
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's rising, and feels elastic to touch...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	91
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	260991  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #2234
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie!!! now I want to make some bread!!!! inspired by the sourdough starter... keep having fun there!!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #2235
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Gail,

I just patted and shaped it for a second rise, am going to bake it in 2 hours whether it likes it or not.

After 19 hours, it had obviously done something, can't say it rose like crazy , but I'll post a picture of it baked later today.

I seem to remember reading once upon a time about an ancient sourdough starter found sealed in a crock in Greece or Rome or some such place that was successfully revived after it was discovered.

We'll see.

Mulch is down, a few plants in, front and side yards are basically ready for the season....I can putter away at the back, which is fenced in and unseen by those driving by.

It's fixin to rain the next couple of days, but there are plenty of things to do inside.

Take care of yourself, Miss Gail.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #2236
Rivet Master

Good morning, Maggie. I hope your bread turns out for you. I have to hand it to you, lady. You are determined! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #2237
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If it doesn't turn out, I won't have lost much, and I'll know that keeping starter 2 1/2 years in the freezer is too long.

Determined is true of me....depending on who you ask, that is a strength or a weakness.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #2238
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Determined is definitely a strength. Only those who oppose your position on the matter at hand view it as a weakness.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #2239
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would agree with you, Mimi.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #2240
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This dough was too wet....I mixed it as for my other no-knead dough, but clearly it needed more flour or it wouldn't have spread like this.

The excess moisture may have affected how it rose, as well....or didn't, as was the case.

A work in progress....I will try this again.

It smells good...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	97
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	261019