Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #2181
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Miss Gail!

Yep, settling back in, making myself tackle a chore at a time lest I be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #2182
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi Maggie!
Look up "tabby pavers" on Pinterest. You should be able to find instructions on how to make what you want.
Snowed on us last night at Jackson Center. We will be here until probably Tuesday. Still waiting on a part.
Took a tour of the new, new Interstates on the factory floor. Wow and cha-ching.
Be well and stay warm!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #2183
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've been looking at those, Page....going to wait awhile to start something like that, but I think bordering that shrub bed with those will be my start.

Those new Interstates are way out of my price range, especially because mine will be paid off this year.

I will get a good look at Evelyn's this summer, and that will be good enough for me. My older model is more a camper van....I like.

60 degrees in the little house and 26 outside when I got up this morning....winter's last hurrah. Supposed to be 70 by this time next week.

My deeply discounted outdoor fire pit arrives today, and once I have figured out how to put it together I will begin burning up downed branches from the winter and small bits of firewood from the pile by the patio that is almost gone.

Yikes. Wood moved there and onto the patio nearly two years ago...in what I believe was a 3 week, Gorilla Cart endeavor, from wood I hired split from trees taken down in the fall of 2013....huge pieces then rolled and stacked by Doug and a neighbor before winter set in.

I remember that spring well. Sigh.

There is at least two more winters worth of wood still stacked on my patio. A phenomenal amount of wood from those two trees.

I settled into bed last night, watching House of Cards on my IPad ....I wish it wasn't all so damned believable....Lily snuggled next to me where she could be patted and loved on.

Reaching into the bedside table for a match to light a candle....a couple of matchbooks still there, picked up by Doug, who loved to collect matchbooks and kept ones from special places in a glass beer stein...favorite hotels, pubs and restaurants from trips here and there.

These are just ordinary matchbooks, as special ones were to keep but never use....and how old must they be, because how seldom do you find matchbooks given away anywhere these days.

Small vestiges of my sweet hubby, here and there around the little house, like his aftershave still in his side of the medicine cabinet...and in the Interstate, where reside a couple of matchbooks and the receipt from oranges we bought at a market stand on March 6, 2014....tucked in that little cubby on the driver's side, where he put them and I have left them... along with his ball cap from Gunsite hanging on my side now...as tangible reminders of who he was and our life together.

I am doing well, but still in the in-process, missing him every day.

Life.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #2184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are why hearts were such a symbol for Doug and I, and why finding them here and there these days lead me to believe he guides me to those very spots....so that I know his spirit and love remain nearby.

Like the nearly-perfectly-heart-shaped-shell-piece I found at Edisto just about a month ago.

Doug drew these on those disposable paper tablecloths at restaurants, then pulling out his tiny Swiss Army knife with the little scissor to cut them out and present them to me...with a flourish and a grin.

I have a pile of them....this one from an outdoor cafe in Paris, where we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary....and which still lives on my refrigerator, where I put it when we returned from that trip.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	260225  
Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #2185
Rivet Master

Maggie, I love reading your little stories of your wonderful Doug and his romantic displays of love for you. Of course,he still lingers...and I think he will for as long as you need him...and beyond!

I am home, O/N in Big Texas Ranch RV park in Amarillo, then drove home from there. Arrived here about an hour ago...tired, aching shoulders and knees. But I am home and will sleep in my own bed tonight. More tomorrow.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:08 AM   #2186
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I got up this morning, thinking it was 5:55am, and that I had slept in a bit...for me.

Not 5:55am, but 3:55am....which I didn't realize til coffee was made, fire had been built and I opened the IPad to check emails.

My outdoor fire pit arrived late yesterday.....

Maggie
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #2187
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had thought since it was going to be warmer today, I would haul my vacuum cleaner to the driveway today, open the rear doors of the Interstate, empty under the benches.....and clean.

The remote to the tv is under there somewhere.

However, it has rained almost the entire day, so I have puttered inside and finished prayer shawl #5, so I can turn them all in this week.

5 prayer shawls = 70 volunteer hours they can claim. Sounds about right.

Also got all of my glass pretties washed and back up in my front windows, and online to drop my data plan with Verizon down to 4GB a month....as my Xfinity wifi goes in here at home tomorrow afternoon.

Cutting back the one actually pays for the other, and 4GB may still be more than I need, but for when I am traveling...we'll see.

Skype-ing with darling daughter this am, we lost our connection 4-5 times, as it was windy and the little house seems to be in an area in town that does not have a strong signal....it is the low rent district, after all.

Sunday papers still to read.....I don't think I got those but a couple of times while I was gone, and I have missed them.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #2188
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cleaning the Interstate on this morning's agenda, so I can get washed things back out there before the Xfinity guy gets here and thinks I'm a hoarder.

My living room does look a bit frightful.

I'm also going to make this recipe I found online, as I am nearly out of my last bottle of pricey-but-deeply-discounted, rose scented bath gel from TJMaxx.

Because, why not.

Inexpensive, very moisturizing, smells purrrty....and good for your skin.

Moisturizing Body Wash

2 cups unscented castile soap
1 cup rose water (12 drops rose essential oil in 1 cup distilled water)
3 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
15-20 drops lavender essential oil

Mix in a 1 quart jar, shake well to blend. Pure into squeeze bottle, shake before use.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #2189
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Body wash....made. It smells heavenly.

I added a couple of teaspoons of Vitamin E oil, because I had it, and it's good for your skin.

Yes, that's a Patron bottle...no, I didn't drink it... someone whose bottle I admired saved me a few.

And, yes, I will store it in this and use a plastic squeeze bottle for the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	260447  
Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #2190
Rivet Master

Maggie, you are so crafty! It is so neat, that you make your own candles, shower gel , etc. I admire you for that.

Your personality seems to be a bit of a dichotomy .....you have this 'old fashion' quality about you....but, then you are very adapt with electronic technology as well. You are a lady of both worlds, and it seems to mesh well for you!

I don't know what the old you was like, but, you are becoming very successful in developing the new independent you. GOOD FOR YOU! Evelyn.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #2191
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have become selectively crafty in recent years, liking nice things like scented candles, lovely smelling body wash, etc., but refusing to pay premium prices....especially when I can do just as good a job at a fraction of the price.

I've never made body wash before, but was getting ready to make a note that I needed more when I thought...I'll bet I can find a recipe for that!. And, I did.

Lazy about moisturizer, this should do very good double duty.

I was a single parent of two for 16 years before Doug and I married, so had become very independent out of a matter of necessity...going back to school, then working and caring for them. It's what one does.

Then, somewhat dependent for nearly 3 decades on having the guy things handled by Doug. I'm doing those, not because I want to but because I must.

And, grateful for having had that skill set to return to, rather than never having been on my own....you run across people like that, and I think it is harder for them.

On my hands and knees this morning, vacuuming significant amounts of sand and dog hair from under the rear benches in the Interstate, I couldn't help but think... this is something Doug always took care of. He did the knees things.

And, very emotionally dependent on him...still struggling to free myself from that, 2+ years later. You don't just flip a switch...the connection and dependency of a sort stays with you...at least, it certainly has with me.

I feel pretty strong, most of the time, but the vulnerable moments just pop up out of nowhere periodically. I liked being half of "a matched pair", as Doug liked to tell people we were, and I miss that...and him.

Picking up birthday cards for two of the grands this morning, I then walked past the "Husband" section, and got very teary....missing him, and realizing there will be no more cards....bought by me for him, or him for me. Fact.

Sigh. Life.

Doing pretty well, still a work in progress.

Pretty independent, sometimes not so much. I still lean into him, emotionally.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #2192
Rivet Master

And, Maggie, that is OK to do so. As said before, there is no standard timetable, as we each must create our own. I absolutely despise when someone says to a grieving person...something to the effect of...get over it ....move on' etc. Those folks have little if any heart, IMO, and deserve to be 'smacked in the mouth' or at least, ignored.

Bless you, Maggie.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #2193
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Maggie I have found it good to write a letter to my missed loved one on that someone's birthday. It helps me to get what I want to say to that person so it makes me feel better. As I write this I'm also writing to my grandmother Agnes whom I named my trailer after. She is gone but I write to her telling how the remodeling is doing on the trailer and it helps my stress of the redo for me. I started to do this when I wanted to call her but I can't because she is gone. I hope when I have my trailer blessing service that I will read some of my letters at the service. I know that she is with me during this time as Doug is with you.
Rachel

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #2194
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, ladies.

I hadn't thought about writing him a letter, tho i do talk with him every day....telling him whatever, and sometimes asking for his input on something.

A process, a transition, not an event.

My new outdoor fire pit seems gargantuan....all three of the grandkids could stand in it, and Lily or I could take a bath in it....but it has a grill for cooking, a domed screen for windy days, and a vinyl cover to protect it from the elements.

The grands will love it, as fire cooking for all of us has rather outgrown my small chiminea. They will be overnighting with me in a couple of weeks, and we will try it out.

I am now the proud owner of a Comcast upgrade for WiFi in my home, which package includes slightly expanded TV channels....HBO, free movies, and on-demand. Yikes.

More than I need, but it will mean fewer Criminal Minds and Law & Order reruns in the evenings.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #2195
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I like your recipe for the body wash. I use a Castile-based unscented soap that does not dry out my skin. It is wonderful stuff.

We are finally finished at the factory. Barry came here last week and dropped off his trailer for repairs. He managed to tear off the awning and side swiped the whole curb side when going through a toll booth on the West Virginia turnpike. Eek. It was good to visit with him, though.

We are heading to Goshen/Elkhart today. In looking at the map, I realized that Shipshewana is very close. E&S Sales, here we come!

Our planned route, at this point, doesn't bring us close to Bloomington/Normal. I will let you know if it it changes.

Be well and be safe. Hugs!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #2196
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Travel safely, and enjoy E&S Sales.

Plan to spend awhile in there. You're going to need some more of those steel toolboxes.

If you have time, drive some of the back roads in Indiana's Amish country....you will see beautiful, impeccably maintained farms, perhaps some plowing being done with a team of horses, children walking or on horseback returning from school, etc.

A peaceful, simple, but highly organized way of life.

Barry would have never come to Alumalina with a bashed up Airstream, and I'm sure was a bit apoplectic at such severe damage...I know I would have been.

Enjoy your first meandering trip west of the Mississippi....so much to see and explore.

Hope to see you this summer in Yellowstone.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #2197
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love this body wash I made, but noticed little particles of coconut oil floating on the surface when I shook it up to use last night.

Don't know if it is supposed to do that.

It may have something to do with the substitute I used for the rose water....some commercially prepared with glycerine that I have had a while, and I just added it...might have affected the blending.

One could always substitute jojoba, almond or olive oil, and still get a good moisturizing effect.

It smells wonderful, and lathers up beautifully.

I like a soft scent, but for when in no-see-um country when I use one of those anti-bug bars so that I am not eaten alive, one tiny bite at a time.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #2198
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm on a bit of a recipe roll, here, so bear with me.

I was wanting this during my last trip, thinking to bake a loaf of bread every day at our pre-Alumalina gathering and setting something like this out to consume with....but things were different, I only baked 2 loaves, they were for the organized potlucks, and this never got made.

I had the olives, and everything else I needed....so it is now melding in my frig, to be consumed later.

Black Olive Tapenade

1/2 cup chopped black olives (1 small can)
1/2 teaspoon capers
1 anchovy filet...can leave out, but add a little salt
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Mix in blender or with immersion blender til smooth. Refrigerate.

Best at or near room temperature.

This is a Capriel Pence recipe I copied down many years ago, and which Doug and I loved....good crackers or bread, a nice salad, and you have a meal.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #2199
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Glad to see the recycled Patron bottle....
Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #2200
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
....they are really gorgeous bottles, Vince, and worthy of repurposing rather than destruction.

I scrubbed the floor in the Interstate this morning, and did a good cleaning of the black tank.

Note to self: when in water/flush conservation mode, mind the use of toilet paper carefully.

I think I'm going to pick up some of those very small, scented trash can liners, to hang from a hook in the bathroom for paper deposits during such excursions.

Done out there, but for wiping out and straightening the galley cabinets.

Now....time to seriously tackle the yard.

Maggie