Old 01-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #1527
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching Dr. Oz today, he and nutritionists are touting the health benefits of long fermented bread. Like the no-knead, DO bread some of us are so fond of.

He featured a visit to Eataly in NYC, which lets its bread sit at least 10 hours before baking, and which gives a no-knead recipe very similar to the one we use.

We've been ahead of the curve for a couple of years.

Maggie

Old 01-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #1528
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have a recipe for a slow ferment bread that is kneaded. It takes 3 days from start to bake. MMMMM. Finding fridge space for a bowl full of dough is another matter.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #1529
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Our little Bichon and before, our lab loved "pumpkin" that comes in cans for pies.... And raw carrots... Oh, and cabbage.... When we made a batch of about 40 pounds of slaw for our Knights of Columbus Fish Fry's, our lab, Nellie would catch our "mistakes" in mid flight.. Also raw....but she did not care much for the dressing...'and we had better cut up the stem.. She loved it.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #1530
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've eaten that 3 day bread, and it's very good...but I really love the ease of the overnight one.

It's the only yeast bread I have made for the past couple of years.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #1531
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Our little Bichon and before, our lab loved "pumpkin" that comes in cans for pies.... And raw carrots... Oh, and cabbage.... When we made a batch of about 40 pounds of slaw for our Knights of Columbus Fish Fry's, our lab, Nellie would catch our "mistakes" in mid flight.. Also raw....but she did not care much for the dressing...'and we had better cut up the stem.. She loved it.
Hmmm....Lily might like cabbage.

She just ate a handful of baby carrots, tossed one at a time by me and caught in mid air.

I might get a bag of the whole ones for travel...cut the stem end off and let her just have at it.

I wouldn't let her do that on my carpet in the house.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 AM   #1532
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Suggestion to be a little cautious on overdoing the carrots as they are loaded with Vitamin A and a dogs system cannot handle the amounts humans can. Bananas as well due to high potassium. We chop all the veggies up into small bit size pieces and mix in with their breakfast and then again at dinner.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #1533
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
One other thing I would like to know is if anyone has recommendations for getting him to stop pulling while on leash?

See if someone in your community teaches a basic obedience class. Often you can find them at community colleges or local dog-lovers' organizations.

It's more about training the owner than it is the dog. The dog learns to walk on a slack leash. Corrections are done with sharp jerks rather than sustained pulls. Dogs hate surprises, so the jerk and the action of the training collar gets their attention quickly.

I walked about a mile and a half yesterday with Blackie at heel. She gets to nose around and explore when we get to the park. Pulling on the leash gets her a sharp "NO!" and a jerk, as does getting out of position while we're walking.

Now, the problem is getting me to do the walk every day--lazy human!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #1534
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll remember about the carrots, Bud.

I seldom miss a day of walking Lily, but for inclement weather. There's something I need to be doing differently with her, tho, that's for sure.

We used to take her to dog parks, but she won't play with other dogs.....would spend all of her time herding them away from me....also to a really excellent doggie day care here one day a week, where she ran her legs off for 9-10 hours with other dogs.

But, as I started correcting her dog-aggressive behaviors, she seemed to generalize with not knowing what else to do. Tho the doggie day care said they had never had a single bad incident with her with other dogs.....it is the presence of her owner that may be the tipping factor.

So, I would take her there and she would spend all day on the periphery of the group, not playing and interacting as she used to do, then began to be reluctant to go, when she used to be out of her mind with excitement. This went on for several months.

So, I stopped taking her, a year or so ago. That was a lot of weekly exercise she no longer got, which probably figures in there.

She also got bit, hard, around that time, by a dog she had asserted herself with one too many times.

And, she lost Doug, right in front of her.

She is very protective of me, doesn't really want other dogs around me, tho when there is one I want to pet or when we are visiting, I tell her no and she tolerates it.

There is a yellow lab at the Moraine View group she has known since we first brought her home, and she still plays and does very well with him. Other dogs she tolerates only when she must.

Hmmm.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #1535
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Maggie:

All things I've seen and worked with, including one of our past dogs, even much worse. If you can afford it and fit it in a used treadmill does wonders when you are home. Half an hour and she will sleep a long time, I run Abby for 45 minutes, just introduced Hopey (Yellow) yesterday and she did not care for it. Some dogs, five minutes others much longer. I don't push it, start them out by sitting on it for a couple of minutes one day, then another and then with leash on the hand bar holding her in place start it at lowest setting, she will push back struggle a bit get her up to walking and give her a treat and stop. Same for another day, then she will get it and move on to 2.5-3 MPH and off she will go, it will be a job. I never leave a dog alone on a treadmill however. Abby no longer needs a leash, Hopey is going to be a challenge.

Getting attacked by another dog regardless of circumstances can be traumatic and something that hangs out in their minds for a long time. I take ours to doggy day care and they love it, run all day, socialize. And you are correct it is the owner, almost always. I had a "dangerous" Pitbull in rescue yesterday. Bit everyone she saw and would lunge. Owner surrendered the dog, I went into her kennel after about three hours, no issue. Sent one of our employees, caretaker, in no issue. Took her for a walk, no issues. Tried to get her to be aggressive, no issues. Introduced her to other dogs in our play area, no issues. After consultation with other trainer - no issues - it was the former owner. As I've posted prior, dogs know, they know stability, they know instability, they know depression, they know change and they detect it before we even know we are experiencing the emotions. Which is how they detect things like epilepsy and diabetic attacks, also all kinds of allergies once they are properly trained.

So, take heart, nothing you've said is wrong, you have in no way had a negative impact on Lily. She sounds like a good girl, working through your loss, and hers. They say it takes humans two years to recover from the loss of a loved one, I don't totally agree, I've never gotten over a loss and when I think about the person, or the dog, my current dogs no something is amiss, they know simply by my different emitted smells and a sense they have to either come and comfort me or to go lie down and wait til it passes.

Protection is a pack instinct, the strong protecting the weak. Our Abby grew up with us and knows no matter what I've got her protected so she defers to me. Hopey has been with us three months, when she considers something amiss she will be on guard and is ready to go, I lightly correct her and tell her "its OK girl I've got this" and slight snap, very slight, on the leash. She now gets it and backs down.

One thing I've learned is that just like us, every day is a different day, dogs experience good and bad, physically and emotionally. But the nice things about dogs is unless something triggers their minds they live in the moment and that is a good thing. Exercise, Discipline and Affection - not original on my part but it is what I go by and train owners, seems to work. Correction must be within a second or two or they will miss the point entirely as you suggested, they generalize. When I reprimand Abby the young one, Hopey the Yellow goes and lies down, as she thinks it's something she did. She is very sensitive, therefore, I've changed entirely my approach to Abby and thus Hopey.

Treadmills, walking etc are jobs and all dogs needs jobs. They also need to "earn", which is discipline, everything they get. Meals, sit and wait until told it's ok, treats, they need to do something as told, so on and so forth. It reinforces the bond and the position in their little pack.

Sorry to be so long, love to work with people who love their dogs as much as we do.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #1536
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all that, Bud.

Lily's issues are solely with other dogs. She will bark at people, especially ones that come onto the porch, close to the Interstate, knock on the door, etc., but has never nipped at, bitten, nor even tried to bite a human.

I do believe she would, if sufficiently provoked, or if she felt I was in danger. Part of why I have no concerns traveling by myself....have you met my dog?

Her teeth are impressive, and when she curls those lips back, growls, and the hair on her back rises, she looks deadly. And, that is okay.

I tolerate her growling a bit at other dogs, tell her "no" to stop her right there, before she lunges and nips at their flanks. If they go at it, she will, too, but still has never once sunk her teeth into another dog.

It's all about dominance, tho I have seen her be very submissive to other dogs more dominant than she.....including tiny, miniature Dobermans, etc. Reassuring to see that, always, and know that she has it in her.

She's a wonderful dog, and I understand her pretty well, but it is still a work in progress..... as with all things in life.

I have no room for a treadmill, or would consider it, tho I don't know that she would go for it.....she doesn't like things that move under her feet.

I will have to manage her weight in other ways.

Labs done, and picking up the Interstate out of storage today. 48 hours, and counting down.

I'm ready.

Maggie
Old 01-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #1537
Rivet Master

Maggie, Lily sounds like such a sweet girl. I look forward to meeting her this fall. My little chihuahua is sweet most of the time, although not well socialized outside of our "home pack"! She is the typical chihuahua personality, is quite sure I am her's alone, and can be quite vocal about it. She sticks to me (body contact when possible). I don't know how she will respond to other dogs,especially big dogs.
I do not allow her off leash outside of home or AS. MIKKI loves to run, but, is only allowed to do so in our enclosed big back yard. I'm sure she could get lost, otherwise. When traveling, she wears a halter, as well as her collar, on leash in SUV, so she is under my control at all times. She had been a "running loose found dog" when rescued by the local Dumb Friend League, where I adopted her.
She is a Mommy's girl and is spoiled and well loved. Evelyn.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #1538
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Chihuahua's tend to be pretty feisty, but I'm sure we can handle it.

Interstate is in the driveway.......

Maggie
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #1539
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Me, 2016....slowly....becoming.....
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #1540
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Me, 2016....slowly....becoming.....
I like that quote Maggie... really words to live by... you and Lily have a grand safe trip... always following.. hugs and love, gail