Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #141
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
JPeterman catalogues are still out there, we get one every 6 weeks or so.

Miami State Rec Area at Mississinewa Lake is decent, and enormous, altho finding almost level sites took a bit of work. The most level seem to be the non-electric.

There is good tv signal but phone and wifi signal are weak to non-existent at times, with periodic bursts of one bar of 4g.

Jump on the IPad, check the news and emails.....and the Forums.

Raining at the moment, but Lily has already had two walks today.

My friends will be here soon. I have yarn and a new crochet project to occupy myself til then.

Maggie

Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
If anyone is going to the Pets & Paws rally in Provincetown, MA....wish it were closer....please find Joseph and Gabrielle from NJ and give them hugs from Maggie, please.

Maggie

Hugs delivered this morning at breakfast, Maggie 😀

I didn't realize you knew them so well! Great people - we've been on several rallies together. They send their love.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #143
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for delivering hugs for me.

Had a lovely, relaxing weekend with my friends. Easy, comfortable, like-a-pair-of-old-shoes friends.....my most favorite kind.

We did a lot of talking, also enjoyed some wine and got a couple of great meals put together, courtesy of their new Volcano grill. Wow. Almost makes me want to have one...but not quite.

These two are full-timers with a 5th wheel, which is now permanently esconced on a concrete pad at one of their children's homes in Canada. They added what they refer to as a slide-in camper to their tow vehicle, for trips out from their new home base. He has some health issues, and they wanted something she could handle. Important, that.

They love it, and it is quite cute. They also have a dinette.

Turned over 160,000 miles on the Interstate, coming back. Parts are coming in and it is about to spend a few days at the local auto-body spa for some needed tending to. It's time.

But, not before I take the 3 grands-who-live-close camping this weekend!!!

They were to be with me Fri-Sun, here at the little house, but weather is just about perfect for camping and it appears I have convinced their parents that they are safe sleeping in a tent by themselves, with Lily and I very close by.....at 12, 10 and almost 8 years old, they really will be just fine, in a campground I am familiar with and am certain is safe. .....so it looks like it will be a go.

We will take lots of firewood and easy to prepare foods we can cook outside......and it will be great fun.

Laundry is started, it is now just I who needs scrubbed and primped a bit before the grands spring concert tonight. The boys both play instruments.

Emma's ballet recital next week, and Alice's the week after. Grandma stuff.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #144
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Home Depot is installing leaf-free gutters on the little house today.

Most of the gutter-ing is original, 30 years old this year, and the leaf-free feature means no one now has to get on the roof to clean them. Should spruce things up a bit, too.

The kids are very excited about going camping, our first time out by ourselves since Grandpa died. Going to bring their pocket knives, ball & bat, frisbees, etc....they will run to exhaustion, as will Lily.

I remember tents when my kids were small.....huge, canvas, stakes, heavy, complicated and difficult. These days, mini-poles are held together with bungees so you can't lose one, the tent is nylon and the whole thing is up in 10 minutes.

Going to tuck the front opening in under the awning....altho no rain is predicted, they will be very close and the opening just a few feet from my head where I sleep. I think Emma will sleep inside with me, and Lily with her boys. They will like that.

It will be fun.....and another first.

The other surviving grandparent for the three-who-live-close seems content with occasional contact, and alone time with them only when asked to babysit on an occasional evening.

We're all different, but some things I just don't understand, and this is one of them. I will be an involved and active Grandma for as long as I am able.

Spring is in full swing here in central Illinois....the trees are leafed out, lilacs are in bloom and the flowering crab tree in the back yard is in glorious color.

Farmers are starting to get into the fields, and any driving on rural roads requires being very watchful for enormous pieces of farm machinery....if the weather cooperates from here on out, should be a good year for crops.

A time of renewal.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Make sure the pocket knife blades are the kind that lock and / or explain the risk of having a blade close unexpectedly while holding the handle. We do a knife safety course with our Boy Scouts and issue a card to the boys when they finish it. No card = no knife in camp.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #146
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that.

They are both Scouts, also well-versed in safety issues by their Dad.

Also.....Grandma will not let them handle or use their knives without close supervision.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Thumbs up

I figured as much but it never hurts to say be careful.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #148
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Trust me.....there is no one more concerned about my grandchildren's safety and well-being than me.

As a single mom, I bought my son his first pocketknife for his 7th birthday......and taught him how to use it safely. It's what you do.

He has followed suit with these boys......he is a good man, and devoted father, and they are a reflection of him.

I planted lavender, rosemary and curly parsley this morning. Tomorrow.....mulch, and maybe some fence-mending. I am getting pretty good with a hammer and cordless drill.

Gutters have been put off til Friday morning. Seems white is very popular....brown, not so much and they didn't have quite enough.

To HD's credit, the project manager called me last evening to forewarn that this could be a possibility.

No no-show, no-call for them. The way to do business.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #149
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was filing clipped recipes the other day, and came across this one from somewhere.....I thought, that sounds simple .... so I made it, using Orangecello rather than Limoncello, because orange is what I had.

Delicious, and a bit decadent....just right for a small bit of dessert. Could add fresh berries, and maybe a dab of whipped cream.

Limoncello Freeze

1/4 cup good lemon curd
2 1/2 tablespoons Limoncello
2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream, softened slightly

Combine lemon curd and Limoncello with a small wisk, add softened ice cream and stir gently to swirl. Return to freezer til ready to serve.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Home Depot, allows dogs, up to store manager yep back to dogs. I take Abby all the time, in fact there today buying something for AS and two of them shouted, "where is Abby". I also take shy "rescue" dogs in and just walk around. Fortunately our local HD store manager loves dogs and allows us in.

Enjoy the "camping trip".

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #151
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks.

I take Lily into Petco occasionslly, otherwise she just enjoys "going bye-bye" in the car, and waits for me there.

Not when it's hot or cold out, tho.....not to worry.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #152
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
Lemoncello yum! I haven't had that in a long time

Ate you planting rosemary, lavender et al for the 1sg time or did your bushes die?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #153
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The lavender replaces ones that were several years old, rather woody, and not getting enough sun where they were....as my moonbeam coreopsis has gotten huge and was shading them most of the day.

I have had lavender planted for many years, it is a favorite fragrance of mine for drawer sachets.

I plant parsley most years, as it doesn't come back here. I harvest it several times, wash it and freeze it.

First time for rosemary. I so love the smell of it.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #154
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
I love rosemary as well... What kind of lavender.... I have a French variety for cooking... Better flavor