Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #2161
AlphaStream

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Chadron , Nebraska
Post #2150
I cannot wait to walk you to and introduce myself to you on the SV trip.
You could write a book "Becoming Alone”. What a great read that would be for me.
AlphaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #2162
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the SV gathering is going to be great fun....if only because there is a passel of women with a whole lot of enthusiasm about it.

I have eaten road food for 2 days getting home, plus too many sweets from the potlucks over the weekend.....would hate to have a fasting blood sugar in the morning.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I will return to eating more healthily.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #2163
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Hi Maggie,
We were only at the Alumilina Spring event on Saturday and early Sunday. Life intervened and we had to put things off. However, we arrived early Sat. and continued to enjoy all we could. We are not naturally attracted to crowds. However, we attended the 2015 fall event and had a great time. We dropped by in our walks around the grounds but never were able to see you available (we try to not bother people in their quiet times) Sorry not to connect, however, best wishes to you and Lily. Oh, we did see Lily in her front seat on one of our laps.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #2164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, and sorry that I missed you.

I made shell candles after the breakfast potluck Saturday morning, then baked a loaf of bread and the Bun Pudding for Saturday night....so I may have been in their big kitchen when you came by, as I don't recall any quiet times on Saturday.

If you saw Lily in the front seat, that must have been Sunday morning, when I had taken the windshield cover off in preparation for pulling out.

She knows the signs, and assumes her position.

I'm glad you have enjoyed the Alumalina group...there are many good people there.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #2165
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Be glad that you got 42 degrees. We got low teens and 8 inches of the white stuff over the weekend. Was out tenting with the Scouts and my tent collapsed under the weight of the white stuff.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #2166
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah, golly.. How about that global warming??? We need sunscreen here in Texas... Even in winter..sometimes... I guess the "cold" really like you guys!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #2167
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Home.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	260048  
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #2168
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry done and things mostly put away, a few groceries and fresh things in....we are good for awhile.

I had decided toward the end of this trip to add wifi to my home, as it is a nominal expense and will improve the quality of my life....so did this online early this morning thru Comcast/Xfinity, who provide my basic cable service, but confirmation required a trip to their local office.....with Doug's death certificate, as this was still in his name.

They needed to speak with him to confirm the change....ummmm.

A bit hard, out of the blue, but the account is now in my name, and Monday morning a tech will be here to do whatever is needed to allow Internet into the little house.

This also adds HBO to my basic cable service....House of Cards.

The sun is shining but it is chilly here.....highs here lower than the lows in South Carolina.

It's why we go south for the winter.

Maggie
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #2169
Rivet Master

Maggie, I suppose your trip makes you an official "SNOW BIRD"? One more thing checked off. I am glad your trip was fun and a success.

I'm currently in the "new stage" and working my way toward seasoned traveler. No hurry here. I assume by summer's end it will all be quite familiar.

It seems silly, but, I am somewhat resentful that I have to fly tomorrow. No other choice, though. I don't like flying...cramped into a flying sardine can...totally dependent on others for my safety. It goes against my independence "grain"! Only a 2 hr flight, so, there it is.

I will plan a different route for my return home trip...avoiding the terrible winds, storms, fires etc., of Kansas and Oklahoma. Had enough of that to last a while.

Keep your home fires burning and snuggle in with sweet Lily. It is good to be home between trips.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #2170
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was a good trip...can't complain.

I think of snow birds as winter Texans and Floridians, but spending the winter in South Carolina rather than Illinois may also qualify.

There is lots to do, now that I'm home, but I remind myself it doesn't all have to be done today.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #2171
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Of all the things I miss on cold and rainy days when I am away, I miss my little woodstove the most.

Yes, it's cold and rainy here....wood is in, a fire is going, taxes are dropped off, labs have been done, a few more things picked up at the store, bread dough is mixed to bake tomorrow...and I am settled in my favorite chair with a cup of tea.

I washed up four prayer shawls this morning, completed during this trip, and will have a 5th one done before I turn them all in. . I did my part, even while gone.

Getting the sweet grands-who-live-close on Thursday after school, so needed ingredients to mix a batch of oatmeal cookies for them tomorrow....then we will go out to supper somewhere, and catch up on the happenings of the past 3 months. I like.

At almost 13, 11 & 9, time with Grandma looks different than it did even a few years ago, but they always look for homemade cookies at my house....and I don't disappoint them.

It's what Grandmas do. Love them babies.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2172
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
More choring here....hauling of wood, dusting and vacuuming, baked a pan of cookies.

Nothing going on, just checking in....

Maggie
Old 04-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #2173
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie, enjoy those grand babes....you win extra points for the cookies!

I drove 392 miles today,stopped to O/N in a nice Texas safety rest stop...136 miles short of Amarillo. This is manned 24/7, security camera survelance, police patrolled, well lit. Popular RV and trucker O/N spot. Feels safe. Back on the road in AM to Amarillo, Rv park there and get diesel.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #2174
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dinner at....McDonald's. "no place where you have to wait" was their unanimous decision.

All three of them, books tucked under their arms and reading at every available moment. Their daddy's children.

Lots to do here....am still running from one thing to the next, haven't even stopped to make a list, yet.

I'll do that in the morning....after my coffee.

Maggie
Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #2175
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

I certainly appreciate kids that read. All of ours are that way, and super successful. It's a good thing!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #2176
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, omnivorous reading builds good minds.

I have been exhausted since I returned home.....sleeping 9-10 hours at night, and actually laying down for a quick nap during the day, almost unheard of for me.

I feel like I'm coming out the other end of it, 4 days home, and Wednesday's labs revealed nothing unusual...lest anyone express that concern.

I think some pent-up emotion from the rally, letting down upon my arrival home....where I had fought the urge to leave before the real rally had even begun....marching thru, enjoying friends and new acquaintances, and doing my part for the potlucks.

That kind of emotional guarding... and duplicity of a sort... builds up internally, tho, and comes out eventually. For me, in exhaustion...it's happened before.

Out of great respect and affection for John, Susan, et al, and the group itself since the very first one, I wrote minimally about what distressed and unsettled me there, and that's not going to change...because, I love those folks.

For those who don't know this, I will say that the WBCCI and I are not friends....this goes back to when Doug & I were members, and the reasons that we left...I felt a definite shift, and it was not good for me, personally.

I'm glad I stayed, as I had time with people I adore but don't see often, and met a lot of friendly new folks.

I'm home, settling back in...recovering....and, I think, grieving a bit.

Life.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #2177
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have had this idea muddling around in my head, of building a simple outdoor fireplace, for hot dog and marshmallow roasts when the grands are here, as well as outdoor fires, burning fallen branches, etc.

Looking into it, and being more realistic about my abilities, I have decided on a purchased fire pit on a slate or stone surface....should be able to do that myself ....and wondering if there isn't a way to incorporate some Edisto shells into the cement.

I would then have them to look at when my aging self is no longer able to make those trips.

I brought lots of shells back, also have some in my rock bed that are broken, which could be removed and imbedded.

If y'all have any thoughts and/or experience, please share....I will also do some research specifically on incorporating shells into whatever.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #2178
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Find a preferably "seasoned" mason (cement person, not the club) and have him give you a quote on a design you draw up and ask him to incorporate the shells into the surface cement finish he does on the outside of whatever you design so that the shells are there, but not negatively impacted by the heat from the fire.

Me I just took a round slap from an old house A/C we had replaced and put some firebricks around it up three bricks high and let her roar.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #2179
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I might pick up some brick-sized paver molds, and try making a few of those with Edisto shells incorporated into them.

I have a shrub bed that needs to be bordered, and making pavers would provide an outlet for me to use some shells and create the needed border....for decorative surfaces, rather than something that must be walked on.

Maggie
Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #2180
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie...glad you two are home safe and getting back "into it"... sure enjoyed your trip... keep having fun...hugs and love from the Oregon coast, gail