Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #1513
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Blackie likes to play fetch. I throw, she runs, small reward when she brings the object back and actually gives it to me. She'd rather turn the event into a game of tug-of-war, which I don't like.

I usually use a rubber frisbee rather than a ball. With the ball, my hands are soaked with doggie drool after about the third throw--not good in cool weather. Blackie has great fun shaking the frisbee around trying to kill it before she gives it back.

Carrots would work well for the reward, but I've been using just a kibble or two from her regular dog food. She works cheap, so long as any food is offered.

Anyhow, it's a way to exercise a dog without too much effort for the human.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #1514
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Bike riding is great, for all of us, people and dogs. Beach play is terrific, our puppy loves it but unfortunately drinks the whole time, has a major blow out and then done. Have not had the new member to the beach yet.

Have a Safe Trip

Bud
Bike riding is easier on my hip and knees than extended walking on the pavement, actually.

Maggie

Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #1515
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Blackie likes to play fetch. I throw, she runs, small reward when she brings the object back and actually gives it to me. She'd rather turn the event into a game of tug-of-war, which I don't like.

I usually use a rubber frisbee rather than a ball. With the ball, my hands are soaked with doggie drool after about the third throw--not good in cool weather. Blackie has great fun shaking the frisbee around trying to kill it before she gives it back.

Carrots would work well for the reward, but I've been using just a kibble or two from her regular dog food. She works cheap, so long as any food is offered.

Anyhow, it's a way to exercise a dog without too much effort for the human.
It is.

Lily loves to chase a ball or frisbee a few times, tho is more interested in playing keep-away than bringing it back.

She loves tug of war, but we learned as her alpha-ness emerged more fully to never let her win.....it reinforced the alpha in her and she was less submissive to we adults....she needs to know, always, that I am the alpha in our little pack of two.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #1516
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
She loves tug of war, but we learned as her alpha-ness emerged more fully to never let her win.....it reinforced the alpha in her and she was less submissive to we adults....she needs to know, always, that I am the alpha in our little pack of two.

Same reason I don't play tug with Blackie. When we first got her, she beat me up pretty bad while trying to be alpha around here. Must have been why her original owners dropped her off at the pound at 8 months old.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #1517
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interesting....,I have often wondered if Lily's alpha personality was why she was abandoned at 8-9 months, tho I have been told those traits begin to emerge shortly after birth.

Lily had obviously been a house pet, per my assessment and that of the vets in Louisiana and at home....she had healthy teeth, no worms, was housebroken, knew basic commands, and appeared to have been well cared overall.

Why one would just leave a dog like that, I could never understand, but she has been a challenge and a learning experience for me.

If ours are both alpha's, it will be interesting to see how they work that out when we meet this summer.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1518
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks for rescuing her, she has a great life. No, actually our two are well fed and carried for like Lily - BUT, Labs are notorious for eating virtually anything and Lily looks to be part Lab. Our Vet the one that does our Rescue dogs as well as our two, says she has to send a Lab to a specialty clinic about once a week to take something out of their stomachs. And it could be anything. The best word I think I teach dogs either mine or others dogs is "leave it". But then we can't watch them 24/7. Today at 9 degrees our two are outside now eating some snow and dirt?

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #1519
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
She does have a pretty good life.....a friend of mine, watching me and his significant other interact lovingly with our respective canines, said "In my next life, I want to come back as one of my dogs."

Lily has webbed feet, and both vets proclaimed her at least half lab.

She is on the smallish end, tho I would call her a medium sized dog, and when she was younger was often taken as a lab pup.

I get many compliments on her disposition and how well behaved she is these days....better behavior in recent years, as I have learned more.

Couldn't love her more.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #1520
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Free Running?

If your dog is trained to 'heel'/leash control.....perhaps Free running! I have no financial interest in this.. nor do I personally free run at this time.

https://youtu.be/PLtDPBQNy1E

Maybe this will help .... A video of a way to keep your pet under control while riding...and when you stop... The interesting part is how the YouTube shows riders in actual situations. Especially how you can 'store' your bike while keeping your dog next to you..and under control so they don't run off..

It seems to me...The 'magic' being the flexibility of your dog's soft or strong control inputs because the 'connection' to the bike is near the rear wheel and at the axle level. This should give you the advantage of 'leverage' as the rear wheel is usually capable of adequate traction.

https://youtu.be/XmzFAIJhPOw

There are other videos of riders doing 'free running'... it establishes the rider as the 'pack/alpha' keeping them in a position slightly behind the human leader.

Just food for thought... 'brain candy'..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #1521
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Interesting....,I have often wondered if Lily's alpha personality was why she was abandoned at 8-9 months, tho I have been told those traits begin to emerge shortly after birth.

Lily had obviously been a house pet, per my assessment and that of the vets in Louisiana and at home....she had healthy teeth, no worms, was housebroken, knew basic commands, and appeared to have been well cared overall.

Why one would just leave a dog like that, I could never understand, but she has been a challenge and a learning experience for me.

If ours are both alpha's, it will be interesting to see how they work that out when we meet this summer.

Maggie
Dogs learn most of what they know about "socialization" between 12 and 16 weeks of age. Bad traits, nipping et al come from (usually) a lack of socialization. A lot has to do with genetics as well, but the problems are usually the result of being taken from Mom prior to 8 weeks of age and then not properly socialized. When we get puppies into our rescue I try and take as many as I can, one at a time to places like Petco, Home Depot etc just to let them meet all sorts of different people and dogs. BUT, a learned behavior for the most part can be re-directed, which is what I do with the fighting dogs we rescue. The alpha young dogs, like Lily at 8 months is often a survival instinct or testing. Puppies test boundaries and limitations we place on them all the time, trying to figure out where they are in the pack. The testing can last a long time, months at least. No matter enjoy.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #1522
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Blackie is mellowing a bit with age. She got along fine with my daughter's two family dogs--one male and one female, both smaller--at Christmas. Had issues with a big male dog who was also a guest.

We'll see what she and Lily do next summer. Meanwhile, I'm working hard to get her more socialized. Her new house dog status should eliminate the separation anxiety she had when we first got her. John insisted on yard dogs only, and labs aren't fond of that lifestyle.

As to eating inappropriately, Blackie eats rocks. So far, no issues with that, but it does really surprise the vet's kennel helpers when I board her.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #1523
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've seen those, Channing, but I'm a bit afraid to try them with Lily.....who will run a squirrel or rabbit down in an instant. I'm not sure I could stop her before she started, at which point it would already be too late.

Me, on blood thinners, you know, tries to avoid falls at all costs.....Doug is not here to tend to me any more.

I could get by on my own, with crutches or a cane, if I had to, but so far my preventative measures have been working and I have not had to put that to the test.

Lily will be 6 next month, and is more mellow for that and other reasons, I am sure. She is a good dog.

Picked up a big bag of baby carrots at the grocery store this am, and am going to start adding a few more of those every day to her diet...rather than just when I am eating them... cutting back a bit on her dry.

We'll see.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #1524
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
This is so interesting -- adding the veggies. Should I cook them first, thinking of the green beans too? Our Cooper is a 4-yr old Goldendoodle and weighs approx. 85 lbs. He is a lover, such a good boy! We feed him the 4-Health brand of dog food from Tractor Supply, salmon & potatoes, it is supposed to be very healthy. He loves it. The first summer we had him we caught him going into our garden and "picking" tomatoes. Next, he started sitting behind me every time I peel fresh potatoes; he sits there very politely waiting until I clean and slice one for him -- he prefers the Yukon Gold as do we. A couple days ago we were sharing a delicious apple and Cooper walked over to me and just looked, so I gave him a bite. He and I ate bite/for/bite the rest of my half of the apple -- so now we know he loves apples too. I imagine he would like the veggies as well. He knows not to beg at our table as we don't share with him there, so he politely lies down to rest while we eat.

One other thing I would like to know is if anyone has recommendations for getting him to stop pulling while on leash? We use a gentle leader which helps tremendously, but would like to not have to use it.

Thank you.

Deb
Old 01-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #1525
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I give Lily veggies raw.

She likes apples, too.

I had some pre shredded carrot in the veggie bin, leftover from soup I made a couple of weeks ago, so mixed a handful of that with her dog food today....she ate the dog food around it and left all of the carrot.....some of it on the floor around her bowl.

I don't know if it was the shreds she didn't like, or that it was mixed in with her dry dog food. Booger dog.

She is also used to taking carrots from my hand, which I am sure she will continue to do.

The detention basin off the trail north of me has been too wet to let her into for several weeks, but I took her there today as the puddles are now frozen and she can really rip around in that huge area. Crashed on the floor as I write.

Can't help you with pulling on the leash....I use one of those retractable, long ones, and just let her go. I like her to be able to play and sniff and do all those dog things.

If we are at a market or something, and she needs to be close to me, I take her on a short, fabric leash, and keep her reined up tight.

Maggie
Old 01-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #1526
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Deb....I have an 86 pound 5 year old Golden Retriever.....used to pull like crazy. Tried the traditional harness and Gentle Leader. Not much success with either. Friend recommended the Lupi Harness. Doesn't look like much.....but I swear by them now. Fits on the dogs chest and behind front legs. Leash attaches middle of dogs shoulders. When the dog lunges ahead, the leash tightens up a bit and probably pinches the dog somewhat....he doesn't like that. Biggest advantage is when he lunges forward, tighten up on the hand leash and you can pull the dogs front legs off the ground and retain control. After a bit of use, your dog will know that when the Lupi is put on him that you're going for a walk and he'd better not pull you down the street. Your dog would want a large size.Try the Lupi out....they're not expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Company-An.../dp/B004ZCIFOM
And don't use a Flexi Leash....try this kind....

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Leash-High...V3EQFQ8BGZCJBM