Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #2141
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Glad things are improving there Maggie.. are you getting rain??? on my weather station, it looks like you may be??? keep having fun regardless!!! hugs and love to you and Lily...gail
Old 04-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #2142
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had rain off and on for several hours, then it cleared up, and the worst of that storm system passed south of here, so can't complain.

Spent the day cooking off and on, and visiting with friends.

Baked a loaf of DO bread in one of their ovens today, every morsel was eaten at dinner.

Over 100 rigs here.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #2143
Rivet Master

Maggie,of those 100+rigs,what percentage are "regular, nice, friendly camping folks"? I hope the majority are.

For myself...I avoid very large crowds., but, I would be less enthused with way too many elitist types. We all put our undies on the same way! LOL! My philosophy....no one is better than another...I don't give a rat's patooty how much money they do or do not have. If the supposed "blue bloods" get stuck with a needle....their blood is the same color as mine, yours, etc.

I am glad there are many "regular friends" there for you to visit with. Speaking of regular folks...I met Mimi, who came to visit while at Vogt RV. she video taped most of the interior instruction, then we visited, and she came back again and took me to lunch yesterday. She is a really nice lady...very interesting. She did say she plans to meet you after her trip to Wisconsin, I think? And is planning on being at SVG in Oregon. I'm so looking forward to it. I think it will be loads of fun!

I hated to leave "Goliath" behind, as I drove Pathfinder back home this morning. I'm currently O/N just outside Oklahoma City, Ok. Nice little Econolodge...a king sized suite for $60. Lot less than I expected....and a very nice suite.

Have a great time with your friends. Can barely wait to meet you....and some of them, maybe? Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #2144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The tone of things has remained good, with John & Susan et al in charge, and I'm not going to belabor my issues here earlier on. No point in that, really.

I have enjoyed time with special people, friends from several years back...the very first Alumalina...as well as some new ones, and there are many good folks here.

It just isn't the same rally, tho.

I am meeting up with Mimi in July,on her way to Wisconsin, I will then head to MN to see friends before starting my trek west.

Baked another loaf of DO bread for dinner, also a Bun Pudding with a dozen of the leftover hot dog buns from Friday....every morsel consumed, but I have done more cooking these past three days than the past 3 months, and I am tired.

Weather was clear and cool here today, perfect weather for enjoying the open pavilion with its huge fireplace.

Will say my goodbyes in the am, and head for home.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #2145
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I made some candles from Edisto shells this morning, and gave them all away, also a couple of crocheted cowls and a scarf I made during this trip....so am taking less home than I have been carrying around.

I still have lots of shells left.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	259839  
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #2146
Rivet Master

Oooh....bread pudding....do you make a sauce for it? I used to make one with orange sauce...been a long time tho. My problem...if I make it, I eat some...so, I try to be careful there.

Travel safely, Maggie. I already put a whole bag of "chick flicks" in "Goliath" from home. Especially for SVG. I have a 32" flat screen tv and a DVD player, that I may bring for the outdoor movie nights. I think I could leave them in box for travel, there will be room for them to stand behind the sofa/bed. What do you think? There is a plug under the awning on the patio side of "Goliath". I even have a box of butter lovers popcorn in there as well. Just getting prepared. And there will be wine, of course...plus, the cursory BWOB & BYOC & BYOG. Fun is going to happen! Evelyn.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #2147
Rivet Master

Those candles are soooo pretty!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #2148
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No sauce for the bread pudding, but it was caramel-ey and I sprinkled about a cup of chopped pecans on the top.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #2149
Rivet Master

Pecans are a nice touch. Now I'm hungry for some. I was such a BAD GIRL on my trip down to Ft Worth! I went into a gas station...somewhere in Ok?....to get coffee, and the smell of fresh baked Cinnabons greeted me! I had not had one in decades! Well, I weakened immediately...one for there and two to go for morning breakfasts! Pecans, caramel, Cinnabon cream cheese...I might as well just should have smeared them on my hips! Darn, they were good. And I must say...I felt very guilty....right after I finished the very last morsel yesterday morning.LOL!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #2150
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Up at 5 am, tidied things up, dumped the tanks, said goodbye to those I could locate, and we were on the road by 9:30 or so....greatly enjoyed visiting with old friends and getting to know some new folks.

I love when people step up to introduce themselves and tell me they follow this thread, and/or enjoy my posts on AirForums.

It takes away so much of the anonymity, and puts faces to handles here.

I appreciate it, and thank you.

Redbuds are in full bloom in the Carolinas, they are everywhere, and trees along the highways this morning were draped with purple wisteria in full bloom.

I wanted to pull over and snip some to take home, but controlled myself.

Passed the sign off 75 in TN for The Museum of Appalachia, where Doug and I spent several hours one day, and could have spent twice that long.

If you have never been, and find yourself in the area, it is fascinating.

We are now tucked into a ridiculously priced KOA in Corbin, KY, but it was handy to the interstate, I was tired, it has WiFi and cable, so....here we are.

Lily doesn't really sleep when we are moving, so a quick piddle and a few bites of dog food, and she has crashed.. Sweet baby.

She is excited about getting home to her house, and wildly so about seeing my son and his kids. She will assault them with nibbles and wet kisses, they will laugh and love her back.

A couple of people commented over the weekend on the deep bond between Lily and I....and that she has become in the last couple of years almost an extension of me.

I guess that is true, and how could it not be that way, after what we went thru together becoming alone.

There has certainly been a deeper mind meld these past couple of years, as our primary daily focus has been on recovery and meeting each other's needs....she understands me, I understand her.

We give to each other a great deal of love and companionship. It works for us.

If anyone thinks it's too much......ohhhh well, it is what it is.

Truly, no one was at all unkind....just noticing.

Tomorrow.....home to my little house.

Maggie
Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #2151
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Ride safe tomorrow on the last leg, Maggie. Thanks for sitting with us at the pavilion last night. It was nice to chat again (your one on one DO instructions at Wateree were much appreciated) and Lilie is a love. Keep her close.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #2152
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, and enjoyed you and your sweet pups, too.

Maggie
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #2153
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Hi Maggie!
I've been using the pretty pot holders. They will look good hanging in the trailer as turquoise & purple are the colors I use. Safe travels home tomorrow. It is always fun to go but it is also good to come home. When I was younger I could have lived & traveled in the AS but nowadays I need a place to come back to. I admire Bold Adventure & his family for traveling while they can.

We are going to Hunting Island on 4/15 - tax season mostly over then!!! Yay! I really want to learn to cook our main meal in a Dutch oven so any suggestions on what side DO to buy & some receipe ideas? It is just the 2 of us so I don't need a huge amount of food.

Happy Trails to you & Lily,
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #2154
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Love those candle shells.

Have a safe trip home, Maggie.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #2155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
Hi Maggie!
I've been using the pretty pot holders. They will look good hanging in the trailer as turquoise & purple are the colors I use. Safe travels home tomorrow. It is always fun to go but it is also good to come home. When I was younger I could have lived & traveled in the AS but nowadays I need a place to come back to. I admire Bold Adventure & his family for traveling while they can.

We are going to Hunting Island on 4/15 - tax season mostly over then!!! Yay! I really want to learn to cook our main meal in a Dutch oven so any suggestions on what side DO to buy & some receipe ideas? It is just the 2 of us so I don't need a huge amount of food.

Happy Trails to you & Lily,
Jane
Hi Jane,

I'm looking forward to being home, after three months gone.

If you're going to buy a DO, my favorite piece at home is this Lodge Combo Cooker.

It is a Dutch Oven and a skillet. I like to bake bread in my home oven using the skillet as the base and the large piece as the top....easier to get the bread in and out, and it browns so beautifully.

You can use it on a grate, over a fire, or on/in a traditional stove/oven. Unless you plan to bake with coals breads, cakes, cobblers, etc., you don't really need one with legs.

If you want the kind with legs, tho, I would suggest a 12" deep....you can cook and bake anything in one of those.

I have an 8" with legs, too, that I carry......the perfect size for a small cobbler, Brown Betty, etc.

If you go to the Stella's Kitchen sub forum here, there are tons of DO recipes. You can also pick up a cookbook at places like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, etc.

I suggest starting with something simple....maybe Shrimp & Grits.

Seriously, cook your grits separately, of course, get some heat going under your DO and do the saucy, spicy shrimp part in it....it would be perfect, and easy.

Just buy one...and start cooking!

It was great to meet and visit with you and your sweet hubby, Jane.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	259999  
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #2156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Love those candle shells.

Have a safe trip home, Maggie.
Thanks, FaN.

If you get down to see us in Astoria in September, I will save one for you.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #2157
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for DO info. I like the idea of 2 pieces.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #2158
Rivet Master

Maggie, I hope you're home safe and sound. I got in last night at 11:30. Tired, aching and a bit of a nervous wreck. Long story. Next step...fly back to Ft Worth Wednesday, then drive "Goliath" home. It sure felt good to sleep in my own bed last night!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #2159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily and I were on the road at 7 this morning, and are home now just about an hour.

Lily did a victory lap around the yard, checked to see what intruders had been around in her absence, and is now settled on the couch. She's a trooper.

Uneventful drive, the important things are unloaded and the rest will wait til tomorrow.

First thing I did was start a fire....it is 42 degrees here, still very early Spring in Central Illinois ....and now, a soak in the tub.

Maggie
Old 04-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #2160
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Glad you are home safe and that you had a wonderful trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote