Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #2121
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Perhaps in the fall. Just left Anza Borrego (flowers are wild this year) and am in San Pedro for repairs. Found a piece of electrical wire in the valve of my black tank that did not allow me to close the tank. Poured fifty liters of coke into the tank to dissolve it but no luck. Oh well, the price we pay to wake up in magical places....

When I see the dates for fall I will decide if I want to cross country again in the fall. Might be nice to explore some of those eastern beaches...

And Easter dinner would have been fun. Lamb and ham here, with scalloped potatoes and green jello ( I can not remember the last time I ate jello...)

In the midst of having work done I converted from Kobo to Kindle, I like the Kobo but the Kindle is brighter and easier on my eyes.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:29 AM   #2122
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would have loved to see the desert flowers out there this year.

We drove through a pounding, drenching, rainstorm in the California desert a number of years ago....the rain was so dense that Doug-the-driver pulled off the road to wait it out, one of the few times I remember that ever happening.

We weren't around to see the flowers come out afterwards, but I'm sure they were spectacular.

I may come back in the fall, too, then am planning on making the fall rally my goal each year, as the spring one is really later than I want to be gone. But, I don't know right now.

Several rally attendees have been bringing their rigs in to get a spot close to the gathering areas here....then leaving them, to return later in the week. This is a huge, rectangular campground, and the furthest sites are a good distance away.

There is a beautiful pavilion here, with a massive stone fireplace, also a large indoor area with a full kitchen....tho no place really to set up Dutch Ovens, as you can't do anything at your site....so, I may do bread in my DO in one of the traditional ovens they have here, and forego the charcoal altogether.

This used to be an Airstream park, so set up in the manner traditional for their rallies.

Look for John to be in today, and others, so it is fixin' to get busy around here.

Maggie
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #2123
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie
Thanks for the pretty potholders! It was so nice to have a package when I got home. Is Alumilina this next weekend? Hope the weather will be better than the rain here in Charleston this weekend.

Off to DC for a conference Wed. Am staying at the hotel that is hosting the 2016 Nuclear confrance & I am not looking forward to the security delays & the terrorist video of a bomb over DC from North Korea this weekend isn't helping me any. What is wrong with people??

We went to DC last Spring & stayed at Cherry Hill RV Park in MD. Very nice park & the tour bus picked us up at the park. This is the only time we have not stayed at a park but it was nice. I'd recommend if anyone wants to visit DC.

Happy Trails!
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #2124
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Jane!

Alumalina is indeed this weekend, and probably 8 more trailers have arrived in here since Sunday afternoon. Everyone wanting to pick their spot and get settled in before it gets too crowded, I expect.

It was in the mid 70's yesterday, but sunny, allowing everything to dry out from the rain Sunday night.

More rain predicted off and on this week, but we have an indoor gathering place as well as the beautiful pavilion, so no worries there.

I remember the first Alumalina at Carowinds, when we had heavy rain, strong winds, and hail. All of us huddled under the little tents, which were lashed together, holding on to them so they wouldn't blow away.

I took my first bike ride yesterday since my fall last week...knee still a bit stiff, but no difficulties.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2016, 04:43 AM   #2125
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
The hills of Hwy 11 are home & I wish I was there! Have a great day! Hug Lily for me.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:45 AM   #2126
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will do that, and you have a safe trip.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #2127
Rivet Master

Smile

Good morning, Maggie.
I see you're up early.....of course, that is your daily routine. I had been getting lazy, sleeping in till 9 or so. Past 2 months, I've set my alarm for 06:00. Took some getting used to, though.

Wind rocking BAMBI made for a good night's sleep. I think I'll be pulling out soon...I NEED COFFEE! This place does'nt open till 9.

Have a wonderful day, take it easy with your knee. Enjoy your rally. Later. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #2128
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This place is rapidly filling up...and Al & Patti and Tommie arrived yesterday.

Love to see those smiling, friendly faces, and to catch up with people I haven't seen in a year.

Cold this morning, upper 30's, and feels like there could actually be frost in some places.

Had another bike ride yesterday, will get in another here soon...once the sun is fully up and has warmed/deglazed the biking surfaces.

Knee is healing, worst bruising still remaining is on my forearms, from banging them against the underside of the Interstate, trying to get that damn sewer hose free last week.

They look like someone beat me with a 2x4.

With Handsome-Handy-Bob's modifications, I believe that part in this story is over.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #2129
Rivet Master

Good morning! I'm off to Ardmore, Oklahoma.....RV PARK #3. Another long day's drive.i'm not getting very good gas mileage, due to the strong headwinds, I guess. Have a great day. Evelyn.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #2130
Rivet Master

As reported on another thread....missed the turnoff for Ardmore campground # 3. Heavy rain, trains of truck traffic in right lane, and in front of and behind me. When I saw sign for Ft Worth 190 miles...and my high test extra caffeinated coffee kicked in...I thought....I can do that...no problem.

So I deadheaded on in, arrived safely....Bambi and Pathfinder tucked in VOGT's huge wash bay....just minutes before the skies opened up with a downpour with pea size hail mixed in. So glad I decided to come tonight. At least that part of my 4 trip odessey is complete!

I had a chance to get in "Goliath" and explore. It's like it was made for me. Everything fits just fine. Tomorrow...paper work...business stuff. Then meet up with Mimi.

So, now, to bed. More later. Evelyn.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 AM   #2131
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like driving on in to the dealership was a good decision, Evelyn, and now gives you a bit more breathing room.

I'll bet you slept like the dead last night.

Here in Palmetto Cove....it has been a bit of an experience thus far that I was not anticipating, and I have struggled with a rare bad mood the past 2 days.

I debated whether to write about this, and decided I would....carefully.

Starting with....a mean spirited co-owner here, who takes his golf cart and retraces where I let Lily run early morning, in a large, open area adjacent to the campground....looking to see that I have picked up after her.

Me, who is carrying poop bags leaving, and frigging full ones as I return.

Every..time..I walk her...out there...for the past 6 days...I see him take his cart out to check behind me.

We had a few words over this yesterday, after he followed Lily & I out there on his little golf cart.... and told me their rules are that dogs are to be leashed at all times, everywhere, even there.

He also admitted that his excursions behind me were to check that I had picked up after Lily..."because everyone doesn't".

I told him what I thought, quietly but clearly.

He later came to my site to tell me the co-owners had had a little pow-wow, and that pet owners would be allowed to let their dogs exercise, supervised, in that large, open area. That makes perfect sense, now why was that so hard.

This same man also drives his cart slowly around the campground every morning, checking sites closely and carefully for violations.

Yikes.

Good to see more friends rolling in, tho Joseph and Gabrielle are not going to be able to make it.

Greg & Bonnie arrived yesterday, two of the warmest, kindest hearts ever....but other than those I know, there has been the last couple of days, as the place has begun to fill up, more of a "WBCCI rally" feel here, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Insiders, and outsiders, and I am not alone in this observation.

Several units represented with multiple rigs here, and this gathering now seems to be dominated by WBCCI members....they hanging together by unit, at one or the others sites, rather clique-ish...even when in very close proximity, largely ignoring those of us without such ready-made groups....no smiles or extension of warmth, no "pull up a chair and join us"...nothing, and some not even speaking to, or making eye contact with, any but their own. Behaviors that women, especially, can be prone to.

It wasn't what I expected, nor what I have experienced over the years with the smaller, more camaraderie-focused, Alumalina group. This rally moved to this site last fall, was joint with WBCCI, and is now more WBCCI than AirForums.

It isn't the same rally.

John & Susan Leake did arrive yesterday afternoon, with their sidekicks Terry & Ann...those two couples, close friends, the organizers of this rally since the beginning....all good, decent, warmhearted, kind people...and they began pulling things and people together. Sigh.

It will be different here now...there will always be a group going where all are welcome and encouraged to pull up a chair.

Because....that's the way they do it.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 AM   #2132
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Looks like you met some the world's horse's asses that don't have a horses attached to them. There are a lot of them out there.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #2133
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
"Starting with....a mean spirited co-owner here, who takes his golf cart and retraces where I let Lily run early morning, in a large, open area adjacent to the campground....looking to see that I have picked up after her"

We have found this type of behavior of owners and rangers to be increasing each year. With two large dogs that travel with us every where our sites are often checked and when we walk we notice some "official" checking to be sure we cleaned up.

Now to my rational, which I am sure will hit some the wrong way. The "new" generation of dog owners, ie young folks as a group tend to consider themselves above it all and therefore cleaning up after their dog is demeaning to them. When they travel the same occurs.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #2134
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Even some of us older folks grew up in areas where cleaning up after dogs was not usually expected or done--mostly rural areas or small towns where yards were large and people usually tolerant. No one bothered much about a biodegradable substance deposited by a dog. We all just knew to watch where we stepped. The lawn mower took care of it eventually.

So, some are arrogant and some are just ignorant. I have adjusted to the "new" way and do clean up after my dog.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #2135
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In campgrounds, it is expected that owners clean up after their pets....lest everyone be overrun by the stench and appearance of dog poop, and I of course have no problems with that.

His retracing my steps every day, out into this field, seemed pointed and unnecessary.

Also very inhospitable to a paying guest, and I told him exactly that.

Some people don't have enough to do.

At any rate, today is another day.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #2136
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Little people with a badge or uniform or "assigned - self assigned" responsibility are frustrating at best.

Have a great day

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #2137
Rivet Master

Yes, Maggie...I feel your frustration and share your dismay. These folks are everywhere....powerless people, who obtain positions that enable them to have ...what they consider to be....power and control over others. Small minded and insignificant,idiots!

I completely remodeled my home inside, outside, as well as redesigned landscape features....2 years ago. My home is gorgeous, as friends have commented. HOA inspectors come by regularly with their little clipboard, looking for violations. Have they ever commented on the massive improvements and obvious upgrades in quality? Oh H..l No!
Deb read me a letter last night, where HOA COMPLAINED ABOUT OUR TRASH CANS...NOT VISIBLE FROM THE STREET...THEY HAD TO COME ONTOMY PROPERTY TO SEE THEM. As I said idiots..
Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #2138
Rivet Master

I went on a rant....voicing my displeasure of elitist behavior...and it was aborted! So, there you have it! Control nuts!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #2139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's been better today, and they have told at least one other owner of a large dog...who had also been scolded yesterday for exercising their dog off leash in a large, out of the way area...that they could do so.

The right and reasonable thing to do.

Have had some good visits with people I really enjoy and appreciate today, but I feel very disconnected from this new group, as a whole.... and, I miss the old one.

Things change, and I will handle it.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #2140
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
You have not had your espresso, Maggie....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote