Old 12-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #1485
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I will likely be heading north to MN, or from there west, depending on exactly when.

Give me the dates, Mimi, of when you plan to be in Wisconsin, and I will put them on my calendar.

We will meet in the middle somewhere.

The airshow dates are July 25-31. It's been a long time since I had a chance to attend, so I plan to stay there for the whole week. I want to get back into recreational flying at an affordable level, and I need to do research to find my niche.

If I can accomplish what I want to this winter, I should be free to drift around that beautiful part of the country for a while, either before or after the show. I do look forward to meeting you and Lily.

Looks like you're having a fantastic time with your grandkids. Before I retired, I talked about mine so much at work that a co-worker finally gave me a T-shirt that read:

If I had known grandchildren would be so much fun, I'd have had them first!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #1486
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I will likely be heading north to MN, or from there west, depending on exactly when.

Give me the dates, Mimi, of when you plan to be in Wisconsin, and I will put them on my calendar.

We will meet in the middle somewhere.

The airshow dates are July 25-31. It's been a long time since I had a chance to attend, so I plan to stay there for the whole week. I want to get back into recreational flying at an affordable level, and I need to do research to find my niche.

If I can accomplish what I want to this winter, I should be free to drift around that beautiful part of the country for a while, either before or after the show. I do look forward to meeting you and Lily.

Looks like you're having a fantastic time with your grandkids. Before I retired, I talked about mine so much at work that a co-worker finally gave me a T-shirt that read:

If I had known grandchildren would be so much fun, I'd have had them first!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #1487
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Locating Oshkosh on the map, Mimi, a good meeting place for us might be along the Mississippi somewhere, as I am needing north into MN and you East.

Hmmm?

I will put you on my calendar for that week prior to the 25th, and we can work out particulars later.

Another game of Qwirkle last night and then the kidlings slept hard ......have had breakfast and are now cartoon-ing til they can get in the pool at 9.

It has been a very good time.

Alice's mom will be here at 11 to pick her up, then we will head home.

Next.....packing, pulling together, and clearing the to-do list....should be on the road by the end of next week.

I'm ready.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #1488
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Maggie
Happy New Years! Hope your year brings you good health and new travels.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #1489
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Sounds like the beginnings of a plan. I just made my camping reservations at Oshkosh, and plan to get there on July 24th. Hopefully, that will let us get camp set up in the pet-friendly area of their huge campground and find our way around a little before the show starts.

My plans for the trip up there are completely flexible other than a possible visit with my sister-in-law, who lives in Wellington, just south of Wichita, KS. Her little town is actually a pretty good first stop, and I know there's a KOA there.

I have to cross the Mississippi somewhere, and will be glad to take your suggestions on a good place to meet. I'm enough of a Mark Twain fan to want to see Hannibal, MO as I go by--either on the trip up or on the way back.

Meanwhile, have a very happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #1490
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, BassCan, and Happy New Year to you as well as everyone else who reads this thread.

Kids deposited, Lily and I are home with a fire going in the woodstove.

It is very...quiet... here.

Great kids, but a bit like herding cats.

Let me tell ya.....if you want to wear out rambunctious kids, put them in a swimming pool for a couple of hours. The three who came back to Illinois with me would have been asleep in the car if we had driven much farther.

My son and his are going to a kid friendly New Years Eve party tonight, so Emma wanted to know if Grandma was going to a party tonight. Ummmm, that would be "no", Emma.

I loved having the kids, but it is nice to send them home, too. My son said he and his wife had enjoyed some down time, but we're ready to have their three back. Devoted, dedicated parents they are.

Not much of a party girl on my best day, tonight will be quiet.....perhaps a glass of that Sofia Coppola sparkly wine I like, some reflection on my life and second year of widowhood.

I am a very fortunate woman, in many ways, and am aware of that every single day.....part of that good fortune is my friendships here.

I appreciate y'all, and am looking forward to seeing many of you in 2016.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #1491
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Sounds like the beginnings of a plan. I just made my camping reservations at Oshkosh, and plan to get there on July 24th. Hopefully, that will let us get camp set up in the pet-friendly area of their huge campground and find our way around a little before the show starts.

My plans for the trip up there are completely flexible other than a possible visit with my sister-in-law, who lives in Wellington, just south of Wichita, KS. Her little town is actually a pretty good first stop, and I know there's a KOA there.

I have to cross the Mississippi somewhere, and will be glad to take your suggestions on a good place to meet. I'm enough of a Mark Twain fan to want to see Hannibal, MO as I go by--either on the trip up or on the way back.

Meanwhile, have a very happy New Year.
Thanks, Mimi, and that sounds good.

I was thinking you would cross the Mighty Mississippi farther north, but you will of course be coming from the south.

We have lots of options, then, and unless you need a firm plan now, let's play it by ear as we get a bit closer. Hmm?

If you are coming up from the south, there is a nice county park 10 min north of my house, too, right off 39/51 which will take you straight north.

Also, places along the river in Il and WI....we'll find something that suits us.

I'm going to pm you my email address, which might be the best way to coordinate this,

Happy New Year!

Maggie
Old 12-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #1492
Rivet Master

Happy New Year, Maggie!
After all the travel and time 'herding cats', enjoying the grands...I'll just bet you are needing some down time. Enjoy.
Deb and I will watch celebrations on tv, I may have a touch of cognac, and we'll be in bed, hopefully asleep...long before midnight. We are not party people.
God bless. Evelyn.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #1493
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Evelyn, and same to you!

I will be tucked in and out long before midnight, too.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #1494
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Caleb is such a good big brother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	254890  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #1495
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Emma drew this for me the other day. Note the roses at the bottom, and that Grandpa is winking. Sweet.

Emma is a rather impatient artist, who loves the colors and the concept, but just wants to get it done.....as opposed to Alice and Camden who draw and color with great care and attention to detail.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	254904  
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #1496
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Got the trees and Christmas decorations down and put away yesterday, and the little house scrubbed and vacuumed....a lot of crumbs and unidentifiable bits under the dining table, as well as the usual massive amounts of dog hair.

Loved having the grands, but the quiet and stillness after they are gone is always luxurious.

I so admire grandparents like my SIL, who have taken on grandchildren to raise......some young parents go off the rails and never return .......and it is something most would do if they needed to, but we were always just so glad it was not us, especially right after our crew had returned to their parents.

Been there, done that, got mine raised and now love just doing the Grandma thing.

We have always made an extra effort to have our grands regularly, for weekends or a week at a time, as the single mother in me has been especially aware of the benefit of breaks for parents.

It has also given us the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with them, and have some role in shaping their lives, that short visits just don't give you.

Cold as the dickens here, so have been burning up that firewood.

Errands to run today, laundry to do, a loaf of wheat DO bread on the counter to be baked later today.....and, starting the Interstate to insure there are no surprises , then beginning the gathering and packing so I can leave late next week.

Lily must also have her shots, I must see my chiropractor, do monthly labs, get prescriptions filled, all that.....'twil be a busy week.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #1497
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Enjoy your trip and be safe. We were planning on Florida leaving this coming week, but cannot get furnace to stay on, and my gallbladder taken out in June is acting up, or at least the void in my system it's departure created. Plus, it's been such an easy winter might save some money and take a longer summer trip. Need to make decision one way or another.

Suggestion, if you don't carry copies of all Lily's shots, registrations, microchip et al with you as well as a very recent photo you might consider doing so. Shots in case a campground wants to see them and or she needs to go to the vets quickly, and the other stuff just in case she gets lost.

Enjoy

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #1498
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Bud!

Sorry you are feeling puny......and wondering how an absent gallbladder can cause you problems. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I always carry Lily's shot record with me, since a campground out east a few years ago wanted to see it, not just have me sign a document that she was up to date.

Interstate started right up....well, almost.

It is in the 20's here, after all, and it has been sitting for 2 months.

I looked around the interior, checking for leaks (none) after all the rain we've had, and thought to myself. "I...really... love...this...Interstate."

So many happy memories attached to it, and I know how lucky I am.

The holidays were a bit sad, but not awful, and that is movement forward, I think. Doug is gone, approaching 2 years, now, and he's not coming back.

Life without him must necessarily fall into place. Old routines and new routines, co-existing, hand in hand.

I/we do keep him alive by talking about him, what he liked, what he loved, what was important to him, what he believed in....I want the grands to have those memories, and to have Grandpa's being and love for them an integral part of their lives and who they become as they grow up.

Looking forward to going soon, seeing some new roads, places and people.

Maggie

« The Argue Thread | Top | - »