Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #2081
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I'll keep writing as long as people keep reading, and it feels like the right thing to do.

Just difficult to understand negativity apparently bestowed on a widow struggling after the death of her husband.

Maggie
Maggie, People do react different to widow's and divorcees. Maybe their uncomfortable or feel threaten around a single person. I don't know. It sure does open your eyes to who your real friends are. I'm glad your are a early riser. Watching the sun rise with a cup of coffee, is just as beautiful as watching sunset, with a glass of wine. Even Tho I haven't posted, doesn't mean I haven't followed your threads. You inspired me to purchase a set of cast iron cookware, with your easy one pot recipes. The problem I have is, no one to cook for. I would give my arm to have the relationship you had with Doug. You are so lucky to find a spouse who's was also your best friend. I think you know who your real friends are... scratch friends...your family Some day our paths will cross, and don't be surprised if a stranger walks up to you and give you a hug. Oh your ''scrubba wash bag'' thread might cost me 50.00 I am also impressed what a 50 yr old can do as far as yard work Keep your chin up my friend...Gregg
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #2082
Rivet Master

Maggie, I too, have heard of such negative comments...especially, 2 weeks after my dear daughter, Lynn, died, when my nursing supervisor in the O.R. "TOLD ME IT WAS TIME TO PULL MYSELF TOGETHER AND GET OVER IT"! Needless to say, I left that job soon after, as I could not bear to be around the woman after that. Some people are just plain stupid when around grief.

I find that everyone deals with death in different ways, and those who are in close contact with others in mourning, mostly , are compassionate and understanding. All in all, it appears to me that folks on this forum are informed, intelligent, and caring, and supportive. I have been so aware of how gently all respond to you, and others who have had loved ones die. This speaks to the decency and integrity of the group as a whole.

Re: Facebook? I've never gone there...but, have heard it is a sounding board for any manner of questionable behavior...some who say dumb things...even hurtful things...under the cloak of anonymity.....so, I don't go there. Enough problems in real life to address. I also don't watch reality shows....same reason.

Whatever you need...whenever you need it...we are all here for you. No judgement here...never! God bless you. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #2083
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Maggie, People do react different to widow's and divorcees. Maybe their uncomfortable or feel threaten around a single person. I don't know. It sure does open your eyes to who your real friends are. I'm glad your are a early riser. Watching the sun rise with a cup of coffee, is just as beautiful as watching sunset, with a glass of wine. Even Tho I haven't posted, doesn't mean I haven't followed your threads. You inspired me to purchase a set of cast iron cookware, with your easy one pot recipes. The problem I have is, no one to cook for. I would give my arm to have the relationship you had with Doug. You are so lucky to find a spouse who's was also your best friend. I think you know who your real friends are... scratch friends...your family Some day our paths will cross, and don't be surprised if a stranger walks up to you and give you a hug. Oh your ''scrubba wash bag'' thread might cost me 50.00 I am also impressed what a 50 yr old can do as far as yard work Keep your chin up my friend...Gregg
Thank you. .

I wasn't looking for reassurance that this thread is worthy, tho, folks....just expressing some confounded-ness at what another widow reports experiencing elsewhere on the Internet...but thanks for all the pat-pats.

We all need those once in awhile.

I know you and many others who don't post do read regularly, streaminwild, as I see your names at the bottom of this thread, and often get pm's with kind words and encouragement.

We inspire each other, really, but I'll take any credit that is actually mine.

If you think I am only 50, you are short by 16 years. That should make my yard work tales even more impressive.

If you come up close enough to give me a hug someplace, best introduce yourself first, lest you get a reaction from me or Lily that you are not expecting.

I hope that any who follow this thread that find themselves in the same place as me at any point in time, take a moment to introduce themselves.

There was someone here this past weekend...a non-Airstreamer...that I felt pretty sure for several reasons was a follower, but never said so. There was another person at James Island CP.

I would have liked to have known, and we would have had more to talk about. Not as much ice breaking to do, either....could perhaps share a meal, maybe cook one together, and have a nice chat.

I enjoy meeting and visiting with new folks....especially while traveling....as I otherwise spend an inordinate amount of time sharing my thoughts with Lily.

She is a very good listener, but not much of a conversationalist.

Seriously....introduce yourselves and say hello...please. Some have done this, but I hope everyone would feel comfortable doing so.

I was indeed fortunate to have married my best friend, and to have had that relationship for 27 years.

I know for certain that I am a better person now for having had him in my life.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #2084
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There was a police officer in Greenville killed by a fleeing suspect this past weekend.

Left two small boys, and a young wife with a baby girl due in July. So...sad.

He is being buried today. People lining the streets, the sea of blue as officers sent from all over the country come to pay their respects to one of their own....

There is something especially heart wrenching in the funerals of law enforcement and members of the military.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #2085
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Maggie, yes introductions first. I should have proof read first. Sometimes I wondered if I opened up too much for the forums, not a sign of weakness, but just being honest. Lafter is the best healer that I know, but it's hard to put down in words sometimes. Some people do get my sense of humor. I know your not 50, but hopefully I made you smile. Seriously, you would work circles around some kids today. I have a friend that was married the same day I was born 22yrs apart. She recently lost her husband and was feeling down so we started date night on Wednesday's. I did this to give her something to look forward to. Little did I know 5 yrs later she ended up being my best friend. We went to a Baltimore Oreo's game one night with seats 20' from the catcher. I noticed a older Lady watching the game all by herself. I would look every half hour to see who she was with until she mouthed ''I'm too old for you''. Around the sixth inning I got up to get hot dogs and cokes. On the way back I stopped at this lady and apologized for staring and told her how impressed I was seeing a single lady at the game who had the courage to go by herself. After I sat down next to my friend, she told me that the lady paid her a visit and was shocked that my friend was around the same age as her. Also told her about our arrangement as friends only. Come to find out this lady's husband used to own the Oreo's. This story is my way of telling all women here, how impressed I am seeing you having the courage to venture out on your own. My hats off to all of you
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #2086
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's sweet, Gregg, and I'm sure I can speak for all of us here in similar circumstances....we appreciate the support.

We go, because we aren't ready to stay at home, and because we are fortunate to have the ability.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #2087
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You all have a lot more support from a larger number of people than you realize. I for one admire your courage and determination to move forward. I've seen it in others at the more than 200 Military Killed in Action or Suicide funerals I've attended as a member in a volunteer group I am inspired by the strength in people such as the young widows and yourself. Your thread is inspirational and entertaining (especially the sewer hose episodes). Keep posting. Some day we shall meet, but to be honest I am looking forward to meeting Lily just a tiny bit more. Dogs know.

My Best
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #2088
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Maggie, There is a tool, a band clamp with a handle that is used to remove oil filters on cars. Putting the filter on is the easiest thing but getting it off when it's time can expand one's vocabulary. If there is room for the tool under the rig it could give you the necessary increase in leverage to deal with the stinky hose.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #2089
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are supposed to meet this summer, Bud....I am coming by your and your wife's summer gig. Be watching for me in August.

I know it's Lily you most want to see, and that is okay.

She is a lover dog...with most humans, at least.

The lady in the Shasta across the road was in here visiting the other day...after admiring the Interstate and also my folding bike, which she took for a ride...and Lily hopped up next to her and snuggled right up. She was a dog lover, and Lily knew that.

My knee is coming along nicely, tho I am starting to look as if I have been in a car wreck.

Swelling is giving way to deep purple and blue bruising, and not just the entire knee area but also my shin, left forearm, right elbow, etc.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #2090
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Maggie, There is a tool, a band clamp with a handle that is used to remove oil filters on cars. Putting the filter on is the easiest thing but getting it off when it's time can expand one's vocabulary. If there is room for the tool under the rig it could give you the necessary increase in leverage to deal with the stinky hose.
Thanks. There is something in the toolbag that looks like it could be used for that.

What got stuck yesterday was part of the extra parts that jut out, wedged against something underneath....going to cut every damn one of them off, and I think that will help.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #2091
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie, you should have that progressive bruising looked at by a doctor, right now. Not something to fool with and wait to resolve. Please.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #2092
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, but I have been on blood thinners for 14 years.....people like me, with injuries...we bruise.

I'm fine, really, and have with me that antibiotic I got from my doctor before I went to New Mexico and then Greece...should I develop cellulitis, but I doubt it.

I have had much worse bruising than this, just need to wait it out.

I did fall 3 times the other day, remember, the 3rd time down an incline and smack into a tree.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #2093
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
"We are supposed to meet this summer, Bud....I am coming by your and your wife's summer gig. Be watching for me in August. "

Yep, we are there from 7/24 until 9/6. Then to Yellowstone and from there following the Pony Express route east.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #2094
Rivet Master

Maggie, re: your extensive bruising...my concern is your Protime/ INR level. Yes, with injury one may expect bruising, however, that seems like a lot. Is it possible to get in for a lab check...just to be sure? Also, keep in mind that too much of your blood thinner coupled with wine, can present a problem. Best to be safe. If it were me, I think I would Not ride it out...cut out the wine, as well as any other spirits. FYI, do not take aleeve, aspirin, Motrin, Advil, or any other NSAIDs, or prednisone.

I don't mean to sound bossy, just genuinely concerned. Be careful. Evelyn
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #2095
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Different Life II

Dittoes on that. Better safe than sorry. Sadly, I have a few years on you, so it's better to be careful. My DW is an RN, and agrees with me, BTW.

I know how this works, ripped myself on the arm reaching around a rose bush. Took a long time to quit oozing....😩

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:38 AM   #2096
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for your concern, folks.

I appreciate it.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #2097
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Re my boo boo's....

Since Doug died, I have been scrupulously careful to avoid falling because he is not here to tend to me and take care of things while the limb is elevated, etc.

And, I have been successful, without a serious fall in the past 2years.

I am not so much a clumsy person as I have been in the past a hurried person, then the knees have deteriorated, I used to wear flip flops in the summer, etc....all of which have contributed to some nasty tumbles over the years, which are particularly problematic since being on blood thinners.

If I had paid attention the other day to the first two soft falls, I would have not have had the 3rd....quitting while I was ahead. But....

At any rate, what I have noticed these past few days is that, while I have gone thru the usual sequence of post-fall, wound development, I have gone thru them more quickly.

What is different from injuries before, is that I have been on this super Vitamin B complex supplement from my chiropractor/homeopath for the past year or so.

He had told me that the B Vitamins are essential in keeping all of your bodies' organs functioning smoothly and in coordination with each other....then googling B vitamins this morning they also help with wound healing, reducing inflammation, etc.

I have seen the evidence, right here in my own body, and I am somewhat amazed.

I am healing more quickly, is the fact of the matter.

Just sharing, lest any of you might be interested in adding B Complex supplements to your diet.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #2098
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, you are so right about the "B's", at least I can say concerning B-12, I was placed on 1000mcg's/day about two months ago.

It's a bit of a long story so I'll try to shorten it.......while researching a severe reaction to an antidepressant I was placed on last Fall, I ran across symptoms for a B-12 deficiency; fatigue, depression, anxiety, memory loss (my memory loss was minimal), etc. When I went into see the PCP about my swollen lips, itching, sneezing/runny nose, and while she was feeling embarrassed about getting upset with me during a visit a couple of months earlier when I tried to discuss my reactions to the new medication, I pressed for her to do a B-12 test on me due to the fact that I fit most of the symptoms I'd read about and years ago I'd been given a B-12 shot by my then PCP due to a deficiency. Sure enough the next day my results were back and mine were fairly low (128), so I started taking the B-12 and rather quickly I began feeling as tho I had energy again and had a better outlook on life! B-12 helps to build red blood cells which I believe helps the nervous system. When left unchecked can cause Dementia and if too low for too long, I believe can eventually cause death, at least that's what I read.

Since you mentioned "B" vitamins, I'm going to research the rest of them too, thank you for the heads up.

Once again, I've been following along reading about your travels and living vicariously through you!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #2099
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Deb!

Good to hear from you.

You can buy over the counter B Complex, which is what I took until the Dr. diagnosed me as severely B deficient.....telling me that extreme physical and/or emotional stress depletes your body's resources of B vitamins ...and put me on the high octane ones. I plan to take them for the rest of my life.

This Dr. says the medical profession treats symptoms, rather than the root problems, and that B deficiencies are generally not diagnosed by the other side until one begins to have severe problems.

This man has never led me astray, and I'm a believer.

We are settled in at beautiful Palmetto Cove, and already have had a nice visit with Bob and Page, who arrived yesterday.

I've been mostly alone for nearly 3 months...it's going to be nice to have company.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #2100
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
All sounds good Maggie...glad you're settled in and ready for visits with all your friends there... Yes, I take the Super B Complex also... hugs and love, gail