Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #2061
Rivet Master

Maggie, sorry to learn of your fall and I hope your knee is getting better. I'm sure you are sore...take care. Good that you have the knee brace. One never knows...just how vulnerable we are...till it happens.

I just turned my tv on, to hear of the tragedy in Brussells. I cannot understand the evil that makes these monsters take innocent lives. It is heartbreaking. Makes us a bit paranoid to go anywhere in public. I don't like the idea that I must fly to get back to pick up "Goliath", but, there is no other way, so, I will.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #2062
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Evelyn.

If I weren't out here, trying to live a quality life, I wouldn't have this particular injury, right?

I choose to travel, as long as I can, and to be grateful for it every day.

Doug would say " when your time is up, your time is up", and he would be right.

We can't shelter in place, hoping to avoid all bad things, as bad things will find us, anyway.

People die, people get hurt, bad guys are out there, truly evil people, trying to do others harm...in more ways than one can imagine.

We need to thwart them in part by we common folk going forth and living our lives.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #2063
Rivet Master

I agree, Maggie. We AIRSTREAMERS, travelers, campers...have chosen a way to live our lives and to enjoy it to the fullest, without being impacted by the concern of being victimized by those who seek out areas that provide the high victim count the "creeps" want.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #2064
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Watching the developments overseas....dealing with terrorists is like cutting off the head of a snake, only to have two grow back.

Doug would say "there's a solution, but we don't have the stomach for it", and he would be right.

Knee is greatly improved today, after walking Lily only twice yesterday and otherwise staying off of it.

Going to make a venture this morning nto Seneca...to WalMart, and to pick up a prescription....which involves driving, of course... using my right, and injured, leg.

I was a bit concerned as swelling developed, if driving was going to be impossible. Thank goodness it has not been severe, as I would have been stuck here til it resolved enough to allow driving-adequate range of motion.

There's also the matter of having to be on both knees to empty the holding tanks.

When one is in blood thinners, otherwise modest injuries can quickly become debilitating due to swelling.

I'm starting to feel a bit cabin-fever-ish, in my holding pattern here pre-Alumalina.

I'm ready to move, catch up with friends, meet some new folks....and then get home.

Taxes to deal with, kidlings to see....

Maggie
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #2065
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Your Doug was 100% correct. There is a solution, but the feckless politicians refuse to accept it and "do not have the stomach for it" so the world continues it's slide. Off soup box.

Enjoy the day

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #2066
Rivet Master

Maggie, do you have an ace wrap? Or Neoprene knee support. If not, you might pick one up to have handy. Also, ice packs and heating pad are good to have in emergency kit. I keep ace wraps of all sizes...for wrist, ankle, knee,etc. in my kit.

I had to cancel all appointments and errands for today...due to our spring blizzard! So far we have about 8", with up to 14" expected before it ends about 6PM tonight. The blizzard is so intense, I can't even see to end of our cul-de-sac due to poor visibility. This, after a high yesterday of 73* and sunny. This is our crazy spring weather here in Colorado!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #2067
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now that I am getting the sewer hose connection on properly, I am having a devil of a time getting the damn thing off.

I wrestled with it the last time, then a good 15 minutes....just getting it off...this morning.

It's the new, improved, more expensive sewer hose. It is the problem. The orange connector is too big, too fitted out with nubs and doo dads to supposedly help one, but there is simply not enough room in my small space underneath to manipulate it in and out of place.

I trimmed some off of the unnecessary handgrip bits quite awhile ago, but am going to find someone with a small power saw to take all of the nubs off.

It got really stuck this morning, I'm on my ------- knees, wrestling with the damn thing, one knee already banged up, stiff and sore. I wanted to weep.

No one in sight to lend a strong hand, of course....I needed a hero, and there were none.

I was meant to handle it by myself, and I finally did. Ugh.

Then, after a good 30 frigging minutes at the dump station ....if there had been a line, there would have been help.... drove in to Seneca...past several beautiful lakes, with enormous homes on their shorelines.

There is no quick run in to do anything out here, as these are the Blue Ridge foothills, roads wind and curve, up and down, 35 mph is the norm. A good thing, as in my frustrated state of mind I might have been doing 90 on an expressway.

But, a lovely drive to and from, meds got, stocked up for the rally, we are back here til we head to the pre-rally rally on Friday morning.

That's my day, folks. It's got to be downhill from here.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #2068
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn, I had an elastic knee support which I put on, then had to start cutting at the tight edges as the knee swelled, so have thrown it out.

I picked up a couple of elastic wraps this morning, and will keep one in here at all times, as I'm sure the pressure of the brace helped stop my thinned blood more quickly.

Just take a deep breath when you head out next week...don't be in a hurry, slow and steady and you will be okay.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #2069
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie I have a feeling there's going to be a line of helpful folks (men folk/hero kind) with all their tools in hand to help you file, saw, rasp, drill, smooth, remove those booger nubs that have been giving you a hard time while draining those tanks.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #2070
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know of a couple I can ask, who will be glad to help.

The redbuds are all in bloom here, plus tulip trees and some other flowering tree with small white blossoms, and the non flowerings are starting to leaf out.

I enjoy watching spring unfold out here...then, I get to go home and watch it there.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #2071
Rivet Master

My roses had started to leaf last week...till the GOSH DARN BLIZZARD HIT TODAY!! AARRGGG!!! We're at 1 foot and more coming. All plans for today's MD and other errands are delayed, so I have little patience for this now. I had my plans...so well set up....
"When we make plans...God laughs."

You sound like me...when things don't go as planned. Even your "terminology " is quite similar. You have my empathy...especially today...we both need it!

As soon as 6pm hits, I'm having a glass of wine. Then, I'll be more patient! LOL!
Old 03-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #2072
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know....I follow the blog of another widow, who lost her husband about a year before I lost Doug.

She is much different than me, and has handled her grief much differently...I'll leave it at that....but, in spite of the differences, I find her a fascinating, free spirited woman who speaks from the heart.

She speaks often of the negativity she has experienced from others, when talking about her grief, her beloved husband, her struggle to carve out a new life.

She is on Facebook, and one other public blog that I am aware of...I am here, and only here. This is the only public place where I have ever discussed and expressed my travels thru widowhood and....someday...me hopefully coming completely out the other end. If that ever happens.

I have never, ever, even one time, experienced a whiff of negativity...about this subject...here. Or, anywhere else, for that matter.

I think that is a testament to the good folks on these Forums, and an opposite testament to the free-wheeling typing that sometimes goes on on Facebook.

Anyone who is sick of what I write, and how I write it, doesn't share it with me here, and I appreciate that, as who needs that..

I appreciate my loved ones, who have never once told me to shut up and move on, also friends of varying degrees of closeness...here and elsewhere...who have also never expressed such a negative sentiment to me.

It makes me wonder, tho, the negativity and "good God, get on with your life" verbage she reports experiencing.

She's only out 3 years....it's a process, not an event.

Is this a Facebook phenomenon?

I don't doubt it, I just don't know where it is, and I'm glad it's not here.

XO. Maggie
Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #2073
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie you may have one of the reasons, FB.

I also wonder if it also depends on the tone and undertone in which a person presents their situation.

Although you have shared some of your trials and sadness. You have never invited us to a pity party, a woe is me party, a why did this happen to me?

You don't whine, you share. (not to be confused with an occasional glass of Sofia)

These kinds of things make a big difference.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #2074
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I just go by the old saying from way back in the days from a pre-Internet chat room, 'alt.callahans'

Shared grief is divided; shared joy is multiplied.

I've liked that approach for a long time.

It helped a lot when a friend lost a daughter before she was born. It took him 20 years to sort of get over it, and I like to think we all helped by listening to his pain and giving him love back.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #2075
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Keep writing, Maggie. Your travels through this journey have been a great help to me.

Mimi
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #2076
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Just keep going Maggie. You have to know there are many of us on here who follow but seldom have anything we need to add. Just know that we appreciate you and your sharing. I'm here ...you are there but your writing style lets us be along for the ride. It's enjoyable getting to know you. Wish we could be at your rally and meet new friends. Hope you enjoy. We are at least planning to attend Ohio Amish country gathering in early April. Great people there too.
Safe travels. You have company.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #2077
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll keep writing as long as people keep reading, and it feels like the right thing to do.

Just difficult to understand negativity apparently bestowed on a widow struggling after the death of her husband.

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 AM   #2078
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sunrise thru my window....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	259277  
Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #2079
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Goog Morning Maggie!

Beautiful sunrise. Hug Lily for me. Tell John Leake Scott & Jane (Skitique) said hi.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #2080
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will do that, Jane.

Maggie