Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #2041
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oh, Lily loves water, she just hasn't known she could swim.

She's been in lakes, streams, rivers, and oceans before, playing and romping, but goes in only just so far. And, she seems to think incoming waves are chasing her.

She stood in the lake here Tuesday, up to her belly, looking out at it like it was calling to her.....there's something I'm supposed to do with all this water, I can feel it....now what is it?

Such a sweetie.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #2042
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Laundry done, tanks emptied , good now til I leave here on Friday.

Got to Walhalla and back...lovely drive, not much going on downtown these days but found a huge and beautiful Ingles grocery store in a plaza full of necessities near there. Good to know for the next visit to this area.

The weather is mild and beautiful, and we've done lots of visiting today with neighbors and admirers of the Interstate.

The couple across from me have just restored an old Shasta...cute as a button, and this is only their second trip out.

I shared favorite apps and Edisto love...they have never been, but will be going.

Met a couple at the Bellfest here, whose son and daughter in law live a half mile from me in Illinois. Small world.

All is well.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #2043
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Oh, Lily loves water, she just hasn't known she could swim.

She's been in lakes, streams, rivers, and oceans before, playing and romping, but goes in only just so far. And, she seems to think incoming waves are chasing her.

She stood in the lake here Tuesday, up to her belly, looking out at it like it was calling to her.....there's something I'm supposed to do with all this water, I can feel it....now what is it?

Such a sweetie.

Maggie
We had a lab like that once. He would get in the water but didn't know he could swim, until one day he went in the lake off the dock, and the water was over his head. He swam after that.

Looks like a wonderful place to spend a few Spring days. Have fun.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #2044
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily love...she's my daily fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	259114  
Old 03-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #2045
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
puppy love

Quote:
Lily love...she's my daily fix.
looks like you're her "daily fix" too!! hugs to you both!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #2046
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily had that experience in a deep tide pool at Padre Island NS, I believe, Carol....but she never seemed to remember it.

Too cold for the lake today, tho, as it feels more like winter again.

The weekenders have cleared out, leaving us without another RV in sight...and, that's okay.

Nice to have friendly folks to visit and chat with, but we are better at being alone this year than last.

Is that a good thing? Probably.

It's reality.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #2047
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
looks like you're her "daily fix" too!! hugs to you both!!!
She does like to snuggle.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #2048
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nippy...last...night.

Heater running, rather than windows open, but it's not going to last for long. Looks like seasonally moderate temps are due in the next couple of days, and will carry thru til we head home.

I sat crocheting a prayer shawl much of yesterday's cold and rainy afternoon, with the PBS documentary "Africans in America" on my little flat screen TV in here.

There is a commercial on in SC about non-traditional college students, set to the Wizard of Oz's "If I Only Had a Brain", which I have been, and am still, completely enamored with. I love it.

Non traditional students, as in mothers and others going back at a later age, and from all walks of life.

I myself went back to college as a young mother, post divorce, with a 5 year old and a 1 year old, and got my BSW.

At any rate, this ad is about the work and effort and determination it takes to do college, especially in a non-traditional way...when you must also work, and/or have other demands to tend to, such as those of a family...also about how important an education can be in pulling yourself out of the dredges of life one can find oneself in, and how the strengths needed to do this successfully directly translate to a good work ethic valuable to an employer. (My English teachers often accused me of run-on sentences.)

The opening line is "so my kids don't have to forage, got two jobs to pay a mortgage, but I've also got a brain...", and one segment shows a young black woman walking thru this stone tunnel...that looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

Til yesterday, watching this PBS series.....the stone tunnel in this ad, that the black woman is walking thru, is part of the slave holding area at Sierra Leone.

This is a really inspiring, uplifting, commercial, which I'm sure it is meant to be...and, if you get a chance to see Africans in America on PBS, it is also really excellent. It covers the onset of slavery here, thru the present day.

Sad, compelling, tragic, heartbreaking, yes....but good to be reminded where this country came from in the not-so-distant past, and inspiring to see the strengths of individuals...black and white...who stood up, showed up, and took action...highlighted and laid out, for viewers to see.

We've come a long way in this country, but man's inhumanity to man has not...here and elsewhere in the world.

It's always there, it never ends, it just changes shape.

A small soap box today...but it's my thread.

I'm starting to get psyched for Alumalina, and seeing some folks I generally see only there. Good people, lead by a good man.

It's all about the leader, you know, and the tone they set....no matter where, no matter what the setting, it's all...about...whose...at...the top..

Pan bread baked, Lily has had a long walk already this morning, and is down for her post walk nap.

Nothing really going on here, going to do in the next few days some fine tuning of the usual pre-rally spruce-up of the Interstate's interior.....I can't help myself.

When you will have people in and out of your home, you clean.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #2049
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Laundry done, tanks emptied , good now til I leave here on Friday.

Got to Walhalla and back...lovely drive, not much going on downtown these days but found a huge and beautiful Ingles grocery store in a plaza full of necessities near there. Good to know for the next visit to this area.

The weather is mild and beautiful, and we've done lots of visiting today with neighbors and admirers of the Interstate.

The couple across from me have just restored an old Shasta...cute as a button, and this is only their second trip out.

I shared favorite apps and Edisto love...they have never been, but will be going.

Met a couple at the Bellfest here, whose son and daughter in law live a half mile from me in Illinois. Small world.

All is well.

Maggie
Tin Can Tourist members?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #2050
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They were talking about TTC, but I can't remember if they had joined or intended to.

They had just finished a complete refurbishing, and starting to camp.

I saw two, nearly identical, Shasta trailers at Edisto, one owner I spoke with who was on his way to a TTC or some similar rally.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #2051
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been tromping footpaths through the woods here on walks with Lily, especially these non weekend days when the campground is nearly empty. She rips and romps, and loves it.

Feeling strong and somewhat bullet proof....today I fell three times.

The first two, soft landings onto leaf covered, cushioned ground, after tripping over something hidden.

The third, wrenching my knee going downhill to the little lake spot, landing hard and sideways into a tree....which fortunately broke my fall and prevented a longer tumble onto the rocks below.

I should have known to change my course after the first two.

Some folks on the lake I could have hollered to, if I had broken something or couldn't get up, but fortunately I could, as there was otherwise no one around.

A knot on my shin...where I hit the tree...a few scrapes and, of course, the now stiff and swollen knee.

I really do need to stay on smooth, predictable, surfaces, when by myself. Or, maybe take my walking aid that I bought for New Mexco last year.

Doug would say..." Don't feel sorry for me, I feel sorry enough for myself".

Maggie
Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #2052
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ouch, sorry it happened. Nothing like a little dose of Murphy's Law when all is going smoothly.

Rest up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #2053
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, and thanks.

I had just found the other day an elastic knee brace in one of the cabinets...from another knee event several years ago.

I've got it on.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #2054
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Maggie, hope your knee is doing better.
I fell last month while on an outing in Florida.
It was on a path with slippery wet oak leaves on a down hill slope that caused the spill not my clumsiness
I went sliding and loss my balance. After laying on the ground for a bit, I picked myself up and went on.
But The knee was sore for a week. I Felt it protest every time I was climbing up a flight of stairs. It seems that I was either going up or down stairs a lot that week.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #2055
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Maggie.. here is a good idea.. "help, I have fallen off a cliff and it hurts..."
https://www.findmespot.com/en/

This is funny
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index....108#howitworks
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #2056
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
Maggie, hope your knee is doing better.
I fell last month while on an outing in Florida.
It was on a path with slippery wet oak leaves on a down hill slope that caused the spill not my clumsiness
I went sliding and loss my balance. After laying on the ground for a bit, I picked myself up and went on.
But The knee was sore for a week. I Felt it protest every time I was climbing up a flight of stairs. It seems that I was either going up or down stairs a lot that week.
Thanks.

I avoided the steep path down to the lake the other day because it was wet, but have been down there several times since without a problem.

Not sure exactly what happened yesterday, but it was fast.

I have had worse injuries, will take it easy the next day or two and just ride it out.

And, I will stay out of the woods.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #2057
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Maggie.. here is a good idea.. "help, I have fallen off a cliff and it hurts..."
https://www.findmespot.com/en/

This is funny
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index....108#howitworks
Cute, Channing.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #2058
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Terrorist attacks in Brussels.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #2059
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ice the knee for three days. Twenty minutes on, three hours or so off.

Feel better.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #2060
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Bud.

The acute phase of pain now passed, the knee is stiff, swollen, and feeling a bit crunchy and unstable, so Lily had her first walk of the day with me using my collapsible cane purchased at WalMart on the way to NM last summer.

I wanted a nifty, swiftly, hand-carved walking stick, but didn't come across one, and this sturdy little item worked well for 3-point stability while hiking the Gila Wilderness.

I also had strong men to lend me a hand up and down the steep inclines out there. Therein lay my problem yesterday. Steep incline and bad knees.

A rather small price to pay, this relatively minor injury, as perhaps a stern scolding from the universe that I don't belong on unlevel ground by myself. I have paid attention.

Watching NBC's coverage of the horror in Brussels.

Makes one's own problems very, very small.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	259193