Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #1401
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, we have set the date for a Shirley Valentine Gathering for September 9-11, 2016 at Fort Stevens SP near Astoria, OR.

Intended to be a primarily women's gathering, spouses in tow are still welcome.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...ml#post1725224

We will do what women do, and what any rally I have been to is primarily....we will talk, perhaps share some wine and stories of life on and off the road.

Maggie

Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #1402
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie glad to hear you have set a date for SV gathering. It sounds like a fun time and that includes the journey.

If you get near Phoenix on the trek west let us know, would love to say hello.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #1403
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
One side of the camping areas at Fort Stevens SP has cabins and yurts available... I believe some of the attendees will be using those... so we might try to stay in that area with the reservations... it's a pretty big place... just a thought... ok, everyone.. Happy Holidays and Keep having fun!!!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #1404
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's good to know, and thanks!

I am also looking for a place to set a couple of days after the WY RD ends long about the 25th of August...there are two campgrounds in Jackson, one of which is a KOA, which usually has camper cabins.

I will have come off 10-12 days of boondocking, so will need a place to sit a couple of days.....empty tanks, refill with water, scrub clothes and me, etc., and visit with you and your friend, and Evelyn who is hoping to join us prior to the trip west.

Evelyn wants to see the Tetons, too....so we'd be right there.

Maggie
Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #1405
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had a restless night last night, for some reason.....laying awake at one point my thoughts drifted easily to sweet hubby, wondering if he is still around, helping those of us who are still struggling to cope with his sudden departure, etc.

Asking him, kind of, , telling him a sign would be good to remind me that he is around, the afterlife is real, all that.

Watching the Today Show this morning, a medium was on there, promoting a book, and talking about what she knows of and hears from spirits of loved ones.

She also did a reading on one of the newsmen, who said that some things she relayed could have gotten from scouring the Internet, it other things she simply could not have known.

Message received.....the spirit lives on after the body does, they stay close to their loved ones, and take opportunities to let us know they are there.

I choose to believe. Thank you, honey.

Maggie
Old 12-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #1406
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I posted this on the SV Gathering thread, too, Gail.

"One side of the camping areas at Fort Stevens SP has cabins and yurts available... I believe some of the attendees will be using those... so we might try to stay in that area with the reservations... it's a pretty big place... just a thought... "

Maggie
Old 12-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #1407
Rivet Master

Maggie, no doubt, Doug is nearby. With a love as deep as yours, he will stay close by until the time comes for him to move on. I believe our loved ones stay a time to help us through the grief, and once we have the strength to go it alone, then, they move on to the next level, so to speak. Bless you , Maggie. Evelyn.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #1408
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Maggie we stayed at this KOA in the fall of 2014, very nice young couple own the place, right on a small river that runs into town and some historic hot springs which we used a couple of times. If I recall the springs are owned by the town and there are several others around. Nice easy walk from the KOA to town and we walked Abby downtown a couple of times a day and then let her swim in the river.

Lava Hot Springs, Idaho Campground | Lava Hot Springs KOA

Have a Merry Christmas

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #1409
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks like a nice place.

Happy holidays to you, too, Bud.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #1410
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie,
We are currently getting a huge snowstorm in the mountains west of Denver, with 1-3 ft. Expected in some higher locations. Great news for the ski resorts. For Denver, our snow will be in inches, not feet, thank goodness. Also predicting a bit of snow for Christmas Day...our. First white Christmas in a few years.

Merry Christmas to all! Evelyn.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #1411
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Stay warm, Evelyn.

Wish we would get a bit of that snow.....we've had lots of rain, which means muddy feet to wipe of every time Lily comes in from outside. It's supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow, then to cool off a bit...but not much.

I've been running today, to the dentist out of town, and visiting. Lily entertained the grands rather than be home alone for 6 hours....she doesn't like being alone too long, having had retired folks to care for her the past nearly 5 years.

The house was chilly at 64 degrees when we got home, but the woodstove is taking care of that quite nicely.

Going to have a glass of wine and relax a bit.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #1412
Rivet Master

64 * is chilly? Our thermostat is set at 55* at night, and 62-64* in the daytime. I guess we are too warm blooded? I love my sweaters and warm wool sox to stay toasty.

Ah, a glass of nice wine! Enjoy.

I received a gift from a granddaughter, (from L.A.) today. She and Ben just returned from Ireland and Scotland, and she emailed me to ask if I like scotch...which I don't drink. I replied, no, but, do enjoy a nice smooth cognac. Their gift is a bottle of VSOP French Cognac, and a canister of Scotland chocolates. Yum! I don't know if I can wait 3 days to open! We still need to finish gift wrapping today. I love Christmas. I do enjoy the gift giving to the grandchildren and great grands...and most of all... Celebrating the birth of Jesus, and remembering the true meaning of the season! God bless everyone during this wonderful season of love. Evelyn.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #1413
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
64 is chilly in a house with no heat running....cave-like, is my opinion, tho I have never lived in nor spent a night in a cave.

The woodstove spoils one, in that the living room stays quite cozy and toasty. My bedroom about 10 degrees cooler.

Did you read about that Scout leader in NJ who went into a cave he had been in many times before....to be attacked by a bear that had taken up residence in there...as bears do in caves?

The scouts who were with him called for help, using the leaders phone which he somehow managed to toss out to them Yikes.

Thoughtful niece, Evelyn.

I only do gifts for the grands these days, the adults all just get some cash.

Gifts are wrapped, in a pretty bag, and ready to go.

Maggie
Old 12-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #1414
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We're getting the rain up here in Ontario as well. I am glad it's not snow. We would be up to our armpits in it if all this water fell as snow.