Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Saw my primary care physician today, who pronounced me healthy enough to drop to annual visits.

Labs are very good, but for a slight elevation in cholesterol....probably that chocolate I can't seem to stay away from, and I went off my cholesterol meds after the last visit.

My widow's diet has resulted in some dropped weight and overall improved health, through mostly meatless meals and primary carb consumption from whole grains. An unintended consequence, Doug would say.

Picked up another of the beautiful lavender plants this morning, to add to my full-sun flower bed, also some more impatiens to replace those that got frost-bit and did not recover.

Going to get those in the ground later this afternoon and putter in my back yard a bit. I have a lovely, soft yellow, Adirondack chair on my patio, too, that is calling to me.

Never plant flowers before Mother's Day, has always been my rule.....I got impatient to plant impatiens.

It has warmed to the low 80's here during the day, with enough increase in humidity that I have turned the AC on. Highly humidity-intolerant am I.

My trellis ivy at the front porch is leafing out, lilacs are in bloom....such a pretty time of year.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Lilacs haven't even thought about leaves yet around here. Maple trees are in full bloom. They came in over the weekend. Their flowers are chartreuse or brown depending on type of maple. Mid 60's to low 70's is all we can get here. Rule of thumb here is to not plant before 24 May, and even then it is risky.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I miss lilacs. Grew up with them in NH. Not so common here in Texas

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have trimmed, snipped, pulled, cut, scrubbed, sawed and whacked today.....much of this done with my arms over my head.......something about that kind of work is absolutely exhausting.

A few things at the little house that would have been on Doug's list just didn't get done last year......my patio awning was not thoroughly cleaned last spring, the clematis was not cut back last fall.....and these things don't get better with time...but worse.

The trellised Clematis by my front door is trying to do its spring thing, but the old growth that over-wintered from last year has made it all look like a rats nest rather than a lovely, growing thing.

Being very happy in this spot, they generally grow up the trellis and mound onto the roof.....beautiful in June, when they are in full bloom. But, huge, and require standing on a ladder or stool to remove the old growth.

Not my thing.....til now, in my new life, as I cannot hire someone to do everything nor impose upon my son all the time.

And so, after scrubbing the awning, I cut their messy selves back to a few inches above the ground this morning, new growth and all, then snipped and cut apart and yanked down what was on and in and thru the trellis. Removed. Done. Neat and tidy.

It looks much better, tho I don't know if I will have pretty purple blooms at any time this year. I don't care, I couldn't stand looking at it, is the truth.

Hauling an armful of Clematis vines in various stages of growth into the debris bin in the garage, my Amazing Grace windchimes on the front porch tinkle, and I think that Doug is saying "good for you, Maggie".

This was always one of his jobs.....standing on a ladder, sometimes on the roof, cutting and pulling the mountain of growth out each November, til it was done.

I've never done it before, but I've done it now.

As we are in the mid-80's with high humidity, made a pan bread in my smallest cast iron skillet, rather than doing an entire loaf in the oven.

It came out beautifully, and may become my summer bread. Yum.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	237898  
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thank you, Maggie, for posting about your Clematis; I have one which I didn't get cut back last Fall either due to illness, & have been wondering just what to do about it -- not certain of timing. I think I'm going to do just what you did & "go for it"! Right or wrong, I'll be in great company.......flowers this year would be nice, but having that "messy" look gone will be wonderful.

Your pan bread looks so good!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the Clematis will be fine cut back now, Deb. May not get the nice show of flowers this year, but I will be surprised if they die. Mine have been there at least 15 years.

They seem to be pretty hardy plants, and persistent in growing, even in less than desirable circumstances.

The pan bread was delicious, if I do say so. There is nothing like cast iron for a nice crust on breads.

I was going to only eat half, but ended up eating the whole thing. I did work very hard yesterday.

More yardwork today....spring and fall are so very labor-intensive.....and my Needlework group.

Maggie
Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Please forgive me if I've told you this before, but speaking of needlework, starting about 2001 or so, I belonged to an online group of ladies from various countries. We interacted via a forum, then after the website closed, we kept up on emails, we did embroidery & counted cross stitch. Over the years we did sort of round Robins of needlework, such as bell pulls; tea towels, etc. On the bell pulls we would all start a pull, then send it on to the next person on the address list, and that person would do needlework within the allotted space we had already agreed upon. It was so much fun! So, by the time my completed bell pull returned, it had been to England, Australia, and various states within the USA!! So much fun, and I made some great friends along the way. Other years we would select a holiday, such as Valentines Day & embroider onto tea towels or something, include some small gifts (such as favorite tea bags/local chocolates/etc, and send them along with our needlework gift to the person we'd drawn the name of. Great fun, and a way to make new friends around the world!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't recall hearing that before.....what a great idea and what a lovely memento when it got back to you!

I hope you wrote the story down for posterity, so that whoever's hands it ends up in knows its history.

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is 73 degrees here with 80% humidity! Yes, my AC is on, and it's staying on.

Little house has been cleaned, bed linens and rugs washed to hang outside to dry. The house will smell heavenly of line-dried things later today. My favorite.

Emma's ballet recital is this evening and we will then get together Sunday to cook and celebrate Mother's Day. I will not do the heavy lifting, but be the guest and bring dessert.

It is easy to feel sorry for oneself, when one's partner is no longer present to pamper you and share special days. I try to sit in it just a minute, but I do notice. My kids are good to me, but it's not the same. Life.

Tonight Emma's recital, next Saturday Alice's in Iowa City. I am spending the night in the hotel on the University campus, so no night driving , and Alice will come back with me for the night.

I'm going to bring bubble bath so she can pamper herself after her big performance , and have some concentrated time with her. Such a sweet girl, and it's what remote grandparents do.

Going to take a little road trip Memorial Day Weekend, methinks.....a big, riverside, flea market in Grafton is beckoning to me....and they are dog-friendly. Pere Marquette SP is near there, which will be a good landing spot, I'm thinking. Will be nice to take Lily, get away to someplace new, walk around, look, etc. I love junky, antique-ey flea markets.

Such a dear dog. She has insisted on sleeping on my bed since Doug died....perhaps feeling a need to take care of and protect me after his sudden death, as someone suggested....and she literally puts me to bed every single night.

If I am taking too long in the bathroom, she comes to the door to sit and wait for me. Once I am in bed, she hops up, nuzzles and licks my face, lays down close for a moment and then heads to her spot at the foot of the bed. She is telling me "good night....I love you, see you in the morning", I know she is. What would I do without her.

Loss is a part of life, but I have much to be grateful for.....and I am.

My AirForums friends are on that list.

Have a lovely weekend.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Wow only 73. It's 86 up here in the North Country. I'm working in the trailer getting ready for camping. The air is on in the house and in the trailer as well. San Fran sourdough going in the oven just now. I know it heats up the house but it is so worth it.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was 85 yesterday, but it's the humidity that's the killer.

Raining now, so humidity is up to 100%.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The divine Miss Emma....a very girly girl.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	134
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	238076  
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A card that came with a Mother's Day message today.

There were times
she lost her way
but she never lost
her grit and swagger

I love it, and am going to frame it.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	163
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	238077  
Old 05-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The yard work to-do list is almost to nil....have deep cleaning, spring things, to do inside, but I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Look to have everything shipshape very soon. Family coming the first weekend in June.....

If anyone has read Ray Eklund's recent Southwest Rockdocking thread....he and his wife have offered to host a small group of us for a boondocking gathering in SW New Mexico sometime in July or August of this year....for some education and enlightenment on rockdocking, rock gathering, and the ancients of the area. Off the grid. I love it. I don't think I will need to purchase anything but perhaps some collapsible water containers.

About a 3,000 mile round trip for me....but, after some deliberation and calculation, I'm going. Fuel prices are low, and I have no other trips committed to this summer. What a wonderful opportunity that I simply don't want to miss....because, you never know when it may be too late.

Doug and I drove thru that area, but never really got into it....because, altho interested, we just didn't know enough to get out there, seriously off the beaten path, and explore. I took an American Indian History class once upon a time, and have always been fascinated at the history and civilizations of those here thousands of years before us.

I am really, really looking forward to a different kind of rally......the friendship and fellowship, but also education, rock hunting, and exploring, and seeing some Indian ruins up close.

Have made Ree Drummond's Pots de Creme for dessert tomorrow. Chocolate lovers, all, it was easy and will be a certain hit.

Pots de Creme

Into a blender:

12 ounces good quality semi sweet chocolate
4 large eggs, at room temperature
a pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Pulse til the chocolate is pulverized, then pour 1 cup very hot and strong coffee thru the opening at the top, and blend til mixture is smooth and creamy. The hot coffee will melt the chocolate and bring it all together.

Pour into about 8 small cups, as it is very rich. Chill, serve topped with whipped cream. Yum.

I have thought about making this for a rally, pouring it into plastic shot glasses. The problem is refrigerator space, but wouldn't it be fun?

Am done choring for the day. Going to have my tea, and crochet.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #195
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
love your posts....
Old 05-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

It is because so many tell me that, that I continue to write, as it feels a bit self-centered to write of ordinary life here, only peripherally related to Airstreams most of the time.

When I made the decision to start this thread, I spoke sternly to myself about not having doubts once I had begun. Also true, this thread is no different than others here, whose owners write of things other than Airstreams.

So, I am exceedingly fortunate to have this spot to share ordinary things, whenever I feel like it, encouraged by others, and am very grateful for it. It has helped me immensely this past year.

I got to Skyping with my daughter this morning, and forgot about a piece of pan bread I had started for my breakfast. It has risen very nicely, and should be extra porous and yummy.

Now I must sit with it to cook, before I go to get my newspapers.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #197
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Your posts are like a breath of fresh air to some of us. Brings me down to reality and what life is really about. Thank you. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Maggie,

Your posts always bring a smile, whether it be wistful or bemused, and your love for Lily comes through loud and clear.

I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day and many more. Safe travels!
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you both.

My son called a couple of hours ago to tell me they'd been up half the night treating their first case of head lice.

Emma. Full of head lice, her mother with a lesser case. The neighhbor kids they always play with also have it. Unknown who is patient zero.

I've been over helping de-nit Emma's hair and giving instructions on bagging up for two weeks things that cannot be washed.

Life. Could be worse.

Happy Mother's Day!

Maggie
Old 05-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My son says he feels like one of these.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	144