Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I really wish young Americans today would take to heart the determination America showed in the years, months and long days following Dec7/41.

Industrial leaders were incredulous when told they would have to produce 50,000 planes to win the war.....they produced 100,000 planes, a Liberty ship every 24 hrs and unfortunately, the ultimate weapon.

America didn't look back that day, and wouldn't look back until the war was over.

As a Brit/Canadian with a long storied family history in battle, including my own, I salute those that fell so that I could live free.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
"the ultimate weapon" saved countless US and Japaneses people.

This week my Brother in Law is representing his father at the Sons an Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors meeting aboard the Yorktown. His father was an army man serving in Hawaii in the Coastal Defense program.

If by chance you see a uniform, please be sure to thank the hero.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My dad ran away from his home in Oklahoma and traveled to the Dakotas with a crew of combine wheat harvesters just so he could get far enough away from home to successfully lie about his age and join the Army. It wasn't until he was hospitalized after he contracted malaria in Okinawa that the Army realized he was too young to have legally enlisted. My dad finally turned 18 on December 23rd, 1945, months after the war was over!

After finding out he was too young, they took away his purple heart for wounds recieved in the Pacific theater and expunged his service record. It wasn't until 1969, when he retired from the Air Force (having enlisted again in 1948 and served in Korea and Vietnam) that they officially restored his WWII service and he officially became a three-war veteran.

Not bad for a guy who dropped out of the 8th grade to work for a living. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My dad ran away from his home in Oklahoma and traveled to the Dakotas with a crew of combine wheat harvesters just so he could get far enough away from home to successfully lie about his age and join the Army. It wasn't until he was hospitalized after he contracted malaria in Okinawa that the Army realized he was too young to have legally enlisted. My dad finally turned 18 on December 23rd, 1945, months after the war was over!

After finding out he was too young, they took away his purple heart for wounds recieved in the Pacific theater and expunged his service record. It wasn't until 1969, when he retired from the Air Force (having enlisted again in 1948 and served in Korea and Vietnam) that they officially restored his WWII service and he officially became a three-war veteran.

Not bad for a guy who dropped out of the 8th grade to work for a living. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Wow! Cool story. Relative to the Purple Heart, Dad's Ship was sunk in March 1945, but there was sooooo much activity and carnage at that time that many of the wounded were missed for things like Purple Hearts. Dad found out in about 1995 that he had actually earned the Honor and was eligible for a presentation. True to those of that era and sense of humility, he felt that it wasn't necessary for doing what was just expected, he didn't pursue it. I would like to have it in the family heirlooms, but stopped short....respecting his desire to stay out of the "limelight"....for lack of a better word.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I really wish young Americans today would take to heart the determination America showed in the years, months and long days following Dec7/41.

Cheers
Tony
The vast majority of not only kids, but adult's 40 to 50 years old, have no clue of what the Arizona Memorial is.

Usually they think it's something in Arizona state.

How very sad indeed.

To me, I feel that every grammer school should have at least one period, teaching our young generation of what the Memorial is all about.

War is always pure HELL.

How can our younger generation know that, unless we teach them?

How can we teach them that fighting overseas, keeps that battle from being in our back yards?

Then there are mistakes made.

Mistakes like the beginning of WW 2, and 9-11.

What's next??

No one really knows, except that a "next" is most likely "just around the corner."

Andy

Andy
Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
"the ultimate weapon" saved countless US and Japaneses people.
The ultimate weapon took hundreds of thousands of Japanese lives to save hundreds of thousands of Americans lives.

However I used the term unfortunate as this weapon of mass destruction is now in the hands of people who value their interpretation of their religion over decency, morality and your life. How many Americans wish Pakistan never had the bomb. For it's only a matter of time before the extremists are given the bomb by a radicalized and sympathetic atomic keeper.

Mark my words....Pearl Harbour and 911 will have nothing on whatever day that occurs.

If Oppenheimer and Enstein could turn back time and put the genie back in the bottle, they would.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The ultimate weapon took hundreds of thousands of Japanese lives to save hundreds of thousands of Americans lives.
Atomic bomb trivia— Two-thirds of the Catholics in Japan lived in Nagasaki, and Hiroshima was the site of a Jesuit mission. (I'm not Catholic, but I find it ironic that we bombed the few Japanese people who believed in the same God we do.)
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Thank you Andy for posting this, and I'm sorry I am late to put in my 2 cents. I'm an Army veteran of the first gulf war. I was in Germany when the wall fell, and Reagan was my CIC.
Pretty momentous times to be in Germany. Both my mother & father were Navy, and my grandfather on my mothers side was a sub torpedoman in both WWI and WWII. My Uncle was a Navy corpsman in Vietnam. My Uncle Richard is the one I most admire, being a corpsman, he has some stories.
I would like to thank all of those serving around the world in support of this great nation. Lest we all be humbled by what those before us have sacrificed so that we can be free today. God bless America.
Gavin
Old 12-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks for posting, Andy. And I treasure the flag which you donated, and which flew over the U.S.S. Arizona on 7 December 2012...which I received at a rally earlier this year. My Dad served during WW II (Leyte and Luzon) and retired after 26 years in the Army. I served for 20 and did a year in Vietnam. My son graduated from West Point and served 5 years. While my Dad is now buried at Arlington, my son and I keep the traditions alive, and in particular on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, and Pearl Harbor Day. We have added 9/11 to this. I have also visited some of the most beautiful military cemeteries both in the US and Europe. Seeing thousands of white markers truly brings home what prices have been paid for our freedom. I continue to work with the US military and am continually amazed at the wonderful young Americans who continue to serve. We are privileged people who live in a privileged country. Freedom has definitely not been free.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
My grandfather was a ship's captain in the Merchant Marine during WW2.

His ship was shot out from under him by a German U-boat in the Gulf of Mexico. The ship sank almost instantly, killing many members of the crew who were below-decks when it was attacked.

From another WW2 incident, on his desk he kept an empty shell from one of his deck guns, which had been "fired in anger," as he put it, at German planes attempting to strafe his ship while it was in port.

He didn't talk about the war very much, though. Like so many others, he simply did what had to be done.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Special day

TOMORROW IS THAT VERY

SPECIAL DAY.

Please remember THOSE with a prayer.

Andy