Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We've camped outdoors for years and years, both in travel trailers and shore camping with our boat. The only close encounters we have had with wildlife is with two raccoons that climbed up into our cabin cruiser to get in the trash (climbed up the anchor rope when the anchor was tied to the shore), and a skunk that wandered up close to the campfire one night when we were at a National Park Service campground in the mountains.

We were a little worried about bears in Yellowstone, but the only ones we saw were in enclosures at the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. However, a little common sense goes a long way; and one shouldn't tempt fate; e.g., Lady Gaga in her meat costume, feeding the bears.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Here are a couple I've moved out of our front yard. No need to harm them, just move them a mile or so back in the woods, closer to their dens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124_2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	140876   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110006.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	140877  

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I sure wish some one would post some more photos to the gallery so every time I get on the Forums I dont have to see that thing! Can't stand them even in photos.
If I knew how, I'd post some pix my self.
-Lawchick-
How did one get in your trailer? This worries me.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
This picture is fake. Been floating around for years.
I've got pictures of my Uncle with 5 timber rattlers all of which were over 6 feet in length.from their snake hunts in the Southern Illinois river bottoms during the 1950's. Even IF that picture was "fake" (who knows), it wouldn't negate the fact that those timbers can and do get that big. I personally believe it, based upon the recent years of flooding and the overpopulation or condensed population of prey for these badboys of the SouthEast.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Yea, tho I walk throught the valley of death, I fear no evil because I am the meanest Son..of...a....... in the valley. That is, until I run across one of those guys. Gotta admit that some of the most troubling days I experienced during 30 years of military service was Survival School (commonly referred to as "Snake School" in the Phillipines). I also vividly remember a short cut across a field behind one of the clubs in Thailand that only the "drunk, foolish, or uninformed" would take.....banded kraits were known to claim it as their domicile. No matter how much time I had to spend around reptiles, I still hate them with a passion and can think of no other purpose for them other than scaring the bejesus out of me!

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Spiders anyone?

Okay this ones not real either but ...... yuck
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Here's one thats alive in our backyard!
Not to be sceptical, (well OK I am) I zoomed in on your picture and don't actually see a rattle. It looks just like the Bull Snakes that live here. Is it really a rattlesnkae and I just don't see that rattle?

Ken
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
This picture is fake. Been floating around for years.
I'm looking at the angle the stick is being held at, combined with the fact that the tail is still touching the ground. That snake has to be 6 1/2 to 8 feet long which is still within range for an eastern diamond back.

Ken
Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl
Spiders anyone?

Well actually that one is true too. I knew immediately that is a sun spider (well, 2 of them anyway). They are also known as camel spiders and screaming spiders because they scream when they run. Very common in the desert such as Iran and Iraq. They also are present here in California. I went into the garage at my mother's house in the East Bay of California late one night during a visit, flicked on the light, crossed the garage towards the fridge and one of them ugly suckers came runnin at me like 100 miles an hour! I nearly wet myself and started scanning for something to climb up onto. Hahaha and I'm 6' 2" and 210 lbs. They are creeeeeeeepy. Do a search on camel spider, they are really quite interesting.

If ya want to be really creeped out...my backyard has bunches of subterranian (sp?) creatures we lovingly refer to as; Satan's Baby. I usually catch one or two a year when they sneak in an open door (thanks kids!)...they are Jarusalem Crickets. Yuuuuukkkkk!!!!! Gotta love California's wildlife.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Spiders anyone?

Apparently, there is a picture in this post. Anyone have any idea why I can't see anything but a big green yuk face?

Ken
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I remember a trip to NOLA a number of years ago, where we had a lovely room in our favorite hotel, with a balcony.

It was February, I was in the shower getting ready for us to go out for dinner, and Doug had opened the doors to the balcony for some air.

I'd left the bathroom door ajar, and when I stepped out of the shower there was a beetle type thing on the sink that was the size of a mouse. It looked big enough to take off a finger or toe.

Scared me half to death, Doug got it into a waste can and threw it out the window.

Hotel staff told us this was some type of thing, I think related to the cockroach family, that lived in the trees outside, were drawn to the light and would fly in the windows or doors if open.

Aaah, the world we live in, such an exciting place.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
About a year ago we had trouble with the telephone lines coming into our basement. I was having some knee problems so my wife went down to the basement with the Verizon guy. 2 seconds later they ran up the stairs like 2 little girls. I limped down and removed a 4 foot black snake to the back yard. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't get you Mutual of Omaha types. If I see a snake I go for a shovel or a .22, not a camera!

The Taurus Judge is very effective tool also...dont need to be as accurate! Just need to be 'in the ball-park'!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
If you look closely at that picture it looks like the ole snake got plugged with a .410