Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thank you for starting this thread Andy. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Brisbane , Queensland
Our country has changed!

I was there. I saw the second plane explode into the second tower.

As was mentioned above, Pearl Harbor is very important to remember.

3,000 souls were lost in BOTH NYC AND Honolulu.

Our country became a place of hope for the world in the aftermath of December 7th.

I am sorry to say that I don't get that feeling today.

We should never forget!

However, most people have. Our country is no longer a place of hope.

It just a place.

It is shameful but true.

So it goes.

DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I was working in DC that day, about 7 miles south of the Pentagon (VA actually). I was working on a long term project and was flying to DC every week from Tampa. I was leading a staff meeting that morning when someone came in and said "a plane crashed into the Twin Towers in NY!"

Wow, that was odd. A plane crashing into a building. What could have possibly caused that I remember thinking. I remember everything. I remember saying "that's nice" and closing the door, continuing my meeting. I mean, I couldn't interrupt my meeting because of some freak plane accident in New York?

A few minutes later, the sane person came bursting into my meeting, interrupting it again. "You guys have got to see this! Another plane crashed into the Twin Towers!"

Two planes? What? Ok, that peaked mine and everyone else's curiosity. We paused the meeting while we gathered around a TV in the break room to witness the horror the rest of the country was waking up to.

It wasn't crashes. It was terrorists. And they weren't done yet. There were more planes in the air. And shortly thereafter we learned one was headed our way.

I remember giving the order to close the facility. I was the guy in charge. In charge of that little piece of the world. Everyone go home. I remember going into a Fuddruckers to continue watching TV. Later that morning we learned a plane struck the Pentagon. I could see the smoke clearly from the parking lot. And flight 93. Those brace souls we learned later decided to go down fighting.

I was stuck in the hotel for a week. No flights out. Some of my colleagues rented cars and drove back to Florida. I decided to wait it out. There was no telling where was "safe". 15 years later it still feels like yesterday.

When one thinks of tragic history, like December 7th, it seems so far away, so distant. Yet for many who lived through it December 7th is a day "which will live in infamy" forever. Did we learn our lessons from back then? Some. But some seem forgotten. As do some of the lessons from September 11. It is sad, really, that only 15 years after this attack there seems to be some "amnesia" going around.

Not here.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #18
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smithfield , Rhode Island
Yes, I watched some video and was horrified all over again. Those poor souls.

irishezs is offline   Reply With Quote