Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

2018 27' International
San Francisco , CA
6-Yr Svc. Contract = 2018 International Signature 27FB

I'm in the process of purchasing my first Airstream. It's actually going to be parked at my vacation home as a 2nd dwelling unit. I'm hoping I got a good deal $20K off the list price (MSRP $102,987 / Purchase Price $82,753).
However, the main purpose of my post is to discuss a 6-Yr Svc Contract that they are offering......at a whopping price of $4,300! OUCH
On one hand, it may be used more then most so maybe I will need it, but at that price? On the other hand, they are suppose to be amazing units....will there really be $4,300 worth of "covered" repairs during that time period?
The distance from my home to the dealer i'm buying it from is approx. 75 miles. So, unless all the service, covered by the warranty, can be performed on-site I'm going to have to figure out how to get it to the dealer since I don't have a vehicle to tow it myself.
I think I know the answer but would love some input....
Thanks
TheMaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I would put that money in the bank or into an investment and not spend it on 3rd party insurance.

That is an enormous amount of cash for 4 years insurance on a new trailer (first 2 years are warrantee covered).

I just couldn't see that type of expense across the first 6 years of ownership on an airstream - and that would be to simply break even.... your dealer is getting a fantastic commission check when they sign someone up for that plan - remember those companies are for-profit businesses.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What Wulf said.

It's a major profit center for the dealer. Usually lots of fine print as well.

Your trailer is covered for two years, plenty of time to shake it down and get warranty repairs if needed.

$4,200 is a nice 'repair' fund to set aside.

Meanwhile, 20% off is a good deal. Many pay much, much more. Others report as much as 25% off but that can really be driven by location/model/time of year etc. The discount you are getting with the dealer being relatively close for service visits is a nice combo.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
With no engine or transmission to fail I doubt you'd ever get that money back. My 2013 27FB had minor glitches but nothing much over $100 total yet. Over 16,000 miles and couple hundred days camping so far.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
It is also mentioned that it will be parked, as you don't have a tow vehicle, most of what would be found past the initial 2 year warranty would be caused by being dragged and bounced around the country. So the extra money would be a complete waste in your case, in my opinion.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote