Old 03-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, to me, it's all about choices. If this forum were not to my liking, I know that there are other games around.

The fact is that I like this forum. Have I always been polite? No. Have I felt the branch creek? Sometimes I have and rightly so-- when I was called on it, I was out of line. It's one thing to disagree, but it's a whole different story when you try to swat a fly with a sludgehammer. Why bite, when a simple growl will do?

I can only assume that the folks that were let off at the next stop were let off for a very good reason. The idea that folks have to agree is nonsense. Heck, the off topic thread is living proof of that fact and it's clearly what it says, off topic (meaning doesn't have to be Airstream related). The key is to keep the conversation at an adult level and not to give someone both barrels.

Anyway, like I said....it's all about choices. If it ever got to the point were I had to post how disgruntled I was with this forum, it might be best to reallize what other choices there might be that would satisfy my need or desire to participate in a public place. The other option would be to start my own forum and set my own rules and policies that way I could say what I wanted, censor everyone that didn't agree with me and continue to build my user base. It's all about choices.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Colo camp, you are mistaken.

No beef with the site, small beef with the treatment of members who ask the hard questions. Nothing more. You have misread.

I was only defending myself. I will always do so when unfairly attacked. As I am now doing. It is impearative IMHO. I don't enjoy having to do it.
Why didn't you address this to the other party they made the erronius claims, and you want to reinforce them, why? That is how misinformation multiplies....exponetially.
I have not ever suggested limiting the content of this forum. I only expect to know how private "Private Messaging" is. I did not name it Private Messaging someone else did. and I hope it is private.

I do believe that off-topic discussions such as you and I were recently involved in regarding national politics belong there in this Off Topic forum.
If the management states statistics that are incorrect I reserve the right and obligation to ask why? If a member makes a mistake as I often do, I think it should be corrected, not to embarass but to insure the maximum accuracy of this exchange.

If I come off to you as intimidating then all I can presume is that you are a bit too sensitive. I am exactly what I am. Direct. Although I often attempt humor, I think the only way to behave is to be straightforward and honest in all opinions. Of course that must be tempered with decency and kindness.
Some of the information exchanged here can be life threatning if mis-stated or mis-applied. I take this place and it's assets very very seriously.(same with politics in their respective place).

You should believe that I have been very reserved in my postings. However I will never pander, on the other hand I see no need to ever talk down to anyone that shows me the same common courtesy. I think they call it the "golden rule".

Nor will I attempt to give you advice on how to behave, breath, dress, or think, as you did just attempt to give me.
I'm not here to "make my mark" but if I am ever marked I hope it is as a straightshooter.
There is a function where you can put me on your "ignore list" if you feel the need. Do as you please, I would hope you would do alot more searching and reading before painting anyone into a particular corner but you are not my responsibility .

And Twink, thanks but no thanks for your repeated again advice to move on. I'll consider following you if you don't mind. I have miles to go before I sleep. I wish you'd read a little closer before jumping on the bandwagon, but we all gotta do what we gotta do.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:13 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by jaco

Perhaps you might show me the same courtesy. Although I'm aware it is not required in the policies.
Jaco,

The point I was trying to make with some levity was that there have been members that have gone off on a number of things and have sounded much like a 4 year year old. I will not name names, I will not show you examples. We all have a different opinion it seems regarding adult behavior. Fine. The "condescending attitude" was not directed at you, if you think it was you are wrong. IF I wished to personally take a swipe at you I would have sent a PM. I will grant that I have not read a post of yours where I felt I was reading a tantrum, possibly a rant. But even then as long as it is within guidelines, as a moderator I have no issue with a rant.

I agree that your question on Privacy of the PM system should be answered, have you PM'ed Organic Hosting?

Quote:

Now as for your oft used retort and device of apparently trying to embarass members into a particular way of posting by referring to 4year olds throwing tantrums, can you give us a few examples of this occuring?

If I have used this often, or attempted to embarrass members of the forum, as you are implying please show me the posts. As I have said before I will not get into naming names, that is not beneficial to the community.

I understand that the chat was not to your liking. I am there sometimes and not there others. Chat is chat. There are no rules as to what can be discussed. If you would like to setup a tech only chat night go for it. Start a thread, the room is available 24X7.

I guess it really boils down to just that. If you want to cover a topic on the forum, start a thread. If there is not a section on the forum you want, start a thread. If there is enough interest in a topic, or an issue that justifies its own section we can do it.

Jaco, I hope this explains it. If you felt I was singling you out and condescending to you I apologize. That was not the case.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #18
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Got Soap?

Welcome Doggidaddi

I think you will find this a place very diversified

Many talents, much experience, kind folks, caring folks, helpful folks...............................

............AND PIT BULLS! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys kill me!

Smily
Old 03-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Brett I appreciate your reply, Nuff said.

I will look for the other statement regards tantrums. If I cant find it I will retract or rephrase those words. EDIT Brett I have changed the statement from "your " oft used device,to "the old" oft used device. It is often used by debaters and webmasters and wordsmiths, I stand corrected as to you having previously used it as far as I can find.I beg your pardon.
I have not PMd Andy, I know that he is often on site and must presume that he has seen (or been alerted to) my posts regarding privacy. I think that answering it for all of the membership would be helpful. That is why I didn't use the PM.

That golden rule really does work in most all cases. I don't know who dreamed that up but he sure knew what he was talking about.

jaco
Old 03-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jaco, I can't find anywhere in this thread where you have been personally attacked. Can you please quote what you're talking about?

I can find where you have been really beating on folks that run the forum and I guess I just don't understand why, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also, in regards to your post about telling you to move on. I think you read into it too far. I was saying that there were choices, I don't believe that I came out and said Jaco, you should go, but if you are that unhappy here, I guess my question would be why prolong the tourture?

I'm not looking to get into a flame war here, I am trying to understand why you feel the way you do and why you are going about it in the manner in which you've chosen.

Eric
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Geez Jaco why all the bad air?
We started here merely as a way to share some Airstream related info and nothing more. It has grown into a valuable collection of ideas and information that serves many of us well.
Andy gave us all this service, and some want to go off and moan about not liking this or that, I don't get it. Its free man...what the heck else do you want?
Talk about looking a gift horse.....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Well so much for the golden rule from the Peach state.
That didn't last long.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Jaco,

Please, I have no personal regards for you one way or another. I don't know you - couldn't possibly know you based solely on your postings and the opinions expressed therein. If our opinions differ from time to time that does not influence my regard for you one way or the other.

That said, your initial and subsequent postings within this thread seemed on the attack outright and my question to you was simply whther you intended to offer constructive criticism or you were just firing at will. Your oratory has been lengthy, aggressive, but has yet to identify what your real beef is or what should be done to correct the matter.

As far as giving you "advice on how to behave, breath, dress, or think", I would ask that you provide me with the quote you are referring to. My only post in this thread prior to this simply took exception to your "method" of crticism. I expresssed such without giving you any advice of any nature whatsoever.

If you are not happy with certain aspects of this forum then certainly you should have the right to express such. My questions remain unanswered - what is your beef and what do you suggest be done to correct it?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
and I didn't mean to imply that members opinions were not wanted here, what I am so tired of is those who choose to blow off steam at all of us and not offer any thing constructive. Or those that seem so irrationally dissatisfied with what is presented here.
Respond if you choose to but if not consider this thread closed.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 03-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Well ALANSD I had not intended to prolong the questions of those who could answer their own questions if they would just read to be informed instead of attempt to post to antagonize. I will not fall into those traps. There's plenty of arsonists in the woods. However I do not put you into that catagory.
I will gladly talk to you in depth if you care to e-mail me with any specific questions regarding my thoughts. It is not possible to have an open discussion on the forum with a moderator without the chance of my violation of the "Must Respect" rule. I would hate to have a slip up get me "revoked" as Brett put it.

You are, IMHO much too quick and eager to close threads however. seems to be your fav responsibility or at least one you seem to relish. If you were serious about my constructive suggestions you would have already read many of them. They have been politely suggested before. No demands, no ultimatums, no required respect. I will either earn respect from my peers or I won't but if not it won't be because they don't know where I stand.. I can handle honest criticism. I think it makes a much healthier organization. Unfortunate that you seem to prefer to close it down so often. There is a vast difference between a peein match and a civilized discussion. Maybe you could give that some thought.

jaco
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well you know Jaco, this started out as a positive thread. You managed to throw a harpoon. We had a couple of more posts again positive towards the original thread intent, and you threw in another.

Now you wonder why we are wanting to end the discussion? You know there is a time and place for all things and this was not the place. You know it, I know it, and based on the responses your peers know it too.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Wonder if this is gonna move me to the top of the "mysterious circumstances " list..?
We should be so lucky!

Quote:
There is a function where you can put me on your "ignore list" if you feel the need.
I think I will now take your advice.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
No "peein" on my part....
The reality is I have only closed one thread in the two odd years I have been helping with this site. I have pruned a few very rude threads where they needed to be pruned.. and I respect the right of others to present their ideas if they at least attempt to make a contribution to our mutual interest.
This thread started on a positive note and Jaco you decided to put a damper on that.
I still don't get what it is you are so darn p.o'd about.
I come here only to advance my Airstream knowledge and fun , a hobby I greatly enjoy.
Isn't that what an Airstream forum is for? The rest is gravy.

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM