Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2004, 12:49 PM   #1

Cool 40 Years Young.

I never used to think of 40 with a wife and three kids as “young.”

However, after going to the Homecoming in Jackson Center and reading comments about the event in Lansing, I’m going to reconsider. Nothing against the older crowd (they all seemed plenty young at heart!) but I’d like to know if there’s a ‘next generation’ of Airstreamers - where they go and what they do. Is there a Wally Byam ‘Jr.’ club? Anyone?
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
40 Years Young

Greetings Solo!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo

However, after going to the Homecoming in Jackson Center and reading comments about the event in Lansing, I’m going to reconsider. Nothing against the older crowd (they all seemed plenty young at heart!) but I’d like to know if there’s a ‘next generation’ of Airstreamers - where they go and what they do. Is there a Wally Byam ‘Jr.’ club? Anyone?
I can't comment on the Homecoming at Jackson Center as last minute work responsibilities kept me from attending. I was, however, at the WBCCI International in Lansing parked in the Vintage Section. While there weren't a great number of families with children at the International, there were a number of families in the Vintage Section as well as one VAC member family who was parked in the "Teen Queen" area as their daughter was a Teen Queen participant. There were a number of VAC members between 35 and 50 in attendance at the International with children ranging in age from around 1 year old to teenagers - - I know from visiting with those who had older children (8 to 17 years) that there were a number of planned activities provided by the WBCCI Youth Committee (and this has been true at every International Rally that I have attended - - six and counting at this point).

When I attended my first International, I was among the younger members in attendance at 39 - - I joined WBCCI when I was 36. At least in the VAC Intra-Club, the 35 - 50 year old segment is a growing and active segment. At the local unit leve, there is a great diversity in regard to the number of younger members - - I belong to the Wisconsin Unit and there are a number of under 50 members and several of those members have families.

Since the WBCCI is a broader club composed of many local Units, I would encourage you to investigate your local unit(s) - - you may be surprised to find that your nearby local Unit has greater age diversity thatn you might anticipate.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo

The "Jr.s" are at the Forum Rallies. Check out the pictures from the mid-west rally. It's a younger crowd at these rallies. Find one and come!

The youngins are also at the VAC rallies but since my '04 would not qiute fit in, I'm a Forum Rally man.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Older Crowd

I think the older crowd are the fabric that holds WBCCI together while we Juniors work toward the finish line. Most working Streamers couldn't go to the Homecoming. Weekend rallies sponsored by local Units have more age diverisified crowds. I appreciate (and envy) the older crowd keeping the club together!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I'm one of those old fogeys still young at heart. I have no desire to join the WBCCI mainly due to all the pomp and circumstance I've read about. I camp in an AS because I can. I really don't care if the folks next door are in an AS, tent or SOB so long as they are polite and considerate and don't bore me to tears with photos of their grandkids.
I tend to ramble. What was the question?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I turned 40 last year and instead of a convertible ( had one since I was 16) I bought a AS Bambi! I plan on just camping with no ralies in mind but I would like to go to one someday. Most people who camp are pretty cool so I'm looking forward to meeting new friends and some boondocking! Enjoy!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I remember when I was in my 30's hiking the Grand Canyon I met a man at the bottom who was 60, and I thought that it was amazing that a man his age was hiking down there.

When I approached my 60th birthday I thought another Grand Canyon trek would be a good way to celebrate the occasion. I foolishly thought that I might be the oldest person at that time at the Phantom Ranch......not even close, lot's of 60+ folks down there was even a 79 year old woman there who was a member of a Phoenix hiking club.

I've reserved a cabin and invited some friends to join me at the Phantom Ranch next year for my 65th birthday.

We made the step up from tent and tailgate camping to an Airstream a few years ago after my wife had shoulder surgery and had trouble climbing in and out of the tent. She's made the adjustment well. She likes to camp and be able to eat ice cream and enjoy an occasional hot shower too.

I used to joke that my retirement plan was to be moving into an Airstream trailer.

We like to camp in remote undeveloped areas, we're not quite WBCC material.

An "old" friend of mine likes to ask: "How would you think you were if you didn't know how old you was?"
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When we were younger we had other financial priorities, and some of us couldn't afford an Airstream.

With age comes financial stability (for most), and a reluctance to "settle". I now own an Airstream, because I can afford one; and it's the RV I want. Having spent a lot of money on other toys, I can now appreciate the comfort and convenience this lifestyle offers. Also, experience with other RVs makes one appreciate an Airstream, even with the problems that plague all RV owners.

I know that this can be the last trailer we own, due to it's construction. Although, occasionally, the thought of other Airstream models makes one dream of what could be.

By the way, don't knock photos of grandkids. One day, you will find new joy in memories of taking little ones on a road trip -- again...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I used to joke that my retirement plan was to be moving into an Airstream trailer.
No joke there, that IS our retirement plan

We bought our trailer in our mid-30s, and got a lot of flack from people about how we were joining a cult and going to be camping with the grey hairs. Well, I have no problem with grey hairs, I have a few myself now. My main problem was not enough time to get away from work and go camping. I met people in the club who have been retired almost as long as I've been alive! If there's a fountain of youth, it's living the Airstream lifestyle! I want some of that too!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525 View Post
I'm one of those old fogeys still young at heart. I have no desire to join the WBCCI mainly due to all the pomp and circumstance I've read about. I camp in an AS because I can. I really don't care if the folks next door are in an AS, tent or SOB so long as they are polite and considerate and don't bore me to tears with photos of their grandkids.
I tend to ramble. What was the question?

Pretty funny post. I enjoyed it!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
No joke there, that IS our retirement plan

We bought our trailer in our mid-30s, and got a lot of flack from people about how we were joining a cult and going to be camping with the grey hairs. Well, I have no problem with grey hairs, I have a few myself now. My main problem was not enough time to get away from work and go camping. I met people in the club who have been retired almost as long as I've been alive! If there's a fountain of youth, it's living the Airstream lifestyle! I want some of that too!
Way to go Steph!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We also bought our Airstream as we are entering our retirement days. We have many plans to see America with our trailer. Hopefully our health will allow us to travel for a long time forward.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
I bought our '65 Safari when I was 25. We (Mary and I) were just out of college, poor, and had no idea what we wanted to do or where we wanted to live. We saved and planned, repaired and upgraded, and took off on a 2 1/2 year trip (stopping and working along the way). Met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun. We joined the WBCCI for one year... they sent a DVD about the caravans that made me die a little inside. Didn't seem to be quite the same group that did Capetown to Cairo or that had the Guatemalan army building roads through the jungle for them. We let the memberships lapse after the year, which seems to be pretty common. (My favorite moment of the DVD was the voiceover on the Nova Scotia tour- "See the whales... doing acrobats in the water". Doing acrobatics is one thing, acrobats quite another.)

We dry camped almost the whole time, so didn't see much of the usual RV crowd. When we did run across another Airstream, it was fun to give tours and compare. People with vintage seem to want to show you what they restored and how they did it, people with new seem to want to talk about which options they bought and where they keep the wine. There seem to be endless groups within the groups, and if you want to find like-minded people, you probably will.

I think if I ever finish my massive series of repairs (that began with the subfloor), I may try to join up with one of the vintage groups. I lean towards the "Look what I built" group, as opposed to the "Look what I bought".

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Casper the friendly post

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post

IMPORTANT NOTICE
from
Casper the Friendly Post

The original poster is no longer 40 years, he is now 46 years old and is no longer considered young by the "younger crowd."

His kids have grown-up, left home, returned home and he is now looking forward to becoming a grandfather next month.

(The original post is 6 years old)

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
That's true Casper, but the 8 posts before yours are from yesterday, so it still seems to be a valid topic... even if the original poster has perished from extreme old age.
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote