Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I recently read that Range Rover has developed a small diesel engine that Ford plans to offer in the F-150 (Ford owns Range Rover) in 2008 or 2009 model year. That will help, maybe, depending on the torque and horsepower, and of course the transmission it's linked to. It may end up just being an expensive fuel saver option and not add to the towing capacity, though. Won't know 'till the stats make it to the streets. But this might make the decision for diesel vs. 3/4 ton argument a non-issue for those who are on the edge when it comes to trailer size and towing limits. It might also mean a diesel that has a comfortable ride, too.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Brazil sold many Ethanol-only cars back in the 80's.
Don't think it worked as well as hoped, but is something.
Brazilians weren't that happy then (after petrol prices plummeted) but are very happy now. Most cars in Brazil can run on petrol, bio-fuel, or any mixture thereof. So there is active, day by day, competition between 'gas' stations that pump fuel for cars. Not surprisingly, fuel from both sources is relatively cheap.

That said, Brazil does have an enormous advantage over the US. It takes 1 gallon of gas to create 8 gals of fuel from sugarcane grown in Brazil - the same gallon of gas creates only 1.3 gals of fuel from corn grown in the US. Part of the advantage is that Brazil receives more sunlight, but most of the advantage comes from politics. Corn is a poor source of biofuel, but it has strong corporate sponsorship (aka ADM) and a federal price support structure that strongly rewards overproduction. US Sugar production (a crop much more useful for fuel conversion) is controlled by different rules.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
I enjoyed these articles about how the Prius:

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

The Recorder
The CNW Marketing report once again rises from the grave...

The Recorder article was a student's rehash of the report that CNW Marketing Research Inc put out in 2006 and spread like wildfire on the internet as 'Prius vs Hummer'. Unfortunately for Mr. Demorro, the CNW Marketing report was debunked when it was found to contradict the results of automobile lifecycle environmental assessments of Carnegie Mellon University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Argonne National Laboratory (U of Chicago's DOE lab).

Actually, so everyone compares apples to apples (except of course the folk at CNW research) the calculation of the envionmental impact over a car's lifetime from manufacture through use and disposal is standardized in ISO 14040. It is a bit full of 'happy talk', but if you like you can read a summary of Toyota's ISO 14040 report on the Prius.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/k_forum/tenji/pdf/pgr_e.pdf

More info can also be found starting at post #41 in

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...d-28016-3.html

All this is not to say that I believe hybrids are the solution to every problem. As I've noted in other posts, if you live in the American Southwest (eg high speed, low traffic, high temps) a TDI is a much better choice.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Do you think Airstream buyers today would settle for an Airstream that doesn't have a gray water tank?
I don't have a grey water tank - but I sure wish the shower just dumped on the ground. It is absurd that it is OK for me to drain to the ground if I use my Airstream's showerhead outside but not inside.
Quote:
What about a 10 gallon fresh water tank?
I don't use my freshwater tank at all - the one time we've camped at a site with no water we brought our own in jugs.
Quote:
Do you think they could get by with a goffer hole in a camp ground?
Nope...I like having a black tank.
Quote:
Would they settle for a gaucho instead of a queen island bed?
We have a 3/4 bed(more than a single, less than a double)
Quote:
Would a pipe frame pass safety inspection today?
Nope.
Quote:
Would a buyer today buy an Airstream without A/C?
I'd have loved to buy my Airstream without A/C - but good luck finding one.
Quote:
What about a converter or batteries?
Truth be told, I've never seen a campsite without 20Amps of 110V. So maybe if the price was right.
Quote:
What about a two burner stove instead of a three?
Yup, got two burners.
Quote:
Would you buy a new Airstream without a microwave oven?
Yup, no microwave.
Quote:
What about only two overhead storage bins?
We've got 2 1/2 counting the 1/2 of one over the sink.
Quote:
Would you want a smaller 'fridge?
Yup, got a small fridge.
Quote:
Would you give up carpet for vinyl tile floors?
Got vinyl...though not tile.
Quote:
Would a single gas cylinder be enough for your camping needs?
Yup...if I could get a gauge that worked.

I wanted a good trailer that slept two adults and two kids as comfortably as possible in a wide variety of state parks and commercial campgrounds (ie 100% power, 90% water, 50% dump). And the 16'er had a better bed for us than the 19' or 23' [the new 20' Safari didn't exist].

All of which is now officially WAY off topic for a $4 fuel thread. Except to say that if Airstream made a lighter trailer I would happily have bought.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #75
Rivet Master

I guess I'll go fill up my 80 gal tank ($250+) before Wednesday and we go to Hannibal, Mo this weekend...that's 8 mpg towing or not! Although, we can travel alittle over 600 miles on a fill-up, I never want to find out exactly how far below 1/4 tank empty really is, so I fill up when it is slightly above 1/4 on the guage (I can't drive for that long either without needing to "drain" the tank)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #76
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There is a Race-Trac station at the exit/on ramp where I get on/off the interstate and it does a very brisk business so I kind of use it as my bell weather of what's going on with fuel prices since it responds so quickly due to its volume. Last week I saw a drop of $.12 between Monday and Thursday and an $.11 jump between Thursday morning rush hour and Thursday afternoon rush hour...what's going on with that. Yesterday morning (Monday) their price had dropped$.01/gallon. Yesterday afternoon, their price had jumped $.08/gallon. Talk about yo-yo prices. What gives?

This morning the radio news said that the petroleum industry reports that there are 11 states where the price of gas is over $3/gallon already and we haven't even reached the summer peak. That same report also said that we would more than likely eclipse the post Katrina peak prices. It went on to say that a refinery was down for servicing and it was putting a squeeze on the gasoline supply.

Now earlier this year the market watchers were saying that gas prices would go down steadily over the year and would reach a low by the end of the year and would then start to climb back up in early '08. Also, it seems that there has been an oil refinery off-line ever since Katrina. What gives, do they all need that much service since Katrina drove up prices? It didn't cause a supply problem before Katrina for refineries to be serviced? Does it take a year and a half to service a refinery? Those poor people that work at that refinery must have been without a job all of this time.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #77
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Just hit $3.07 for premium here...$2.83 for 87 Octane

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Gas is about to hit $1.25 Canadian per liter or $4.73 Canadian per US gal. The US dollar being worth more than the Canadian dollar will bring US visitors to Canada's cost down , but it will still be in the $4 range. Ouch!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Now earlier this year the market watchers were saying that gas prices would go down steadily over the year and would reach a low by the end of the year and would then start to climb back up in early '08. Also, it seems that there has been an oil refinery off-line ever since Katrina. What gives, do they all need that much service since Katrina drove up prices? It didn't cause a supply problem before Katrina for refineries to be serviced? Does it take a year and a half to service a refinery? Those poor people that work at that refinery must have been without a job all of this time.
Part of the problem is you've got Mr. Chavez in Venezuela is commandeering US oil companies that are operating down there. That only makes the futures traders more reason to keep the price up.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Diesel is down here in PHX ($2.759) but gas is up. So I don't think we can blame it on Fidel's buddy Hugo (this time). It probably is a refinery, summer reformulation thing but I still smell a conspiracy.
-KL
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Diesel is down here in PHX ($2.759) but gas is up. So I don't think we can blame it on Fidel's buddy Hugo (this time). It probably is a refinery, summer reformulation thing but I still smell a conspiracy.
-KL
I believe if each state wants their own unique formula they should be required to have the refinery capacity to do that in their own state!

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
our cheapest today is at costco at $3.11 for regular, here in eugene, oregon!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Just came from Costco this am. 3.07 for regular. Chevron is 3.24 and ARCO is 3.11. Diesel...for the first time is years is about the same prive as gas. Chevron deisel was 3.09 this am.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.asp

You can find all the prices in the US on this AAA site.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
I believe if each state wants their own unique formula they should be required to have the refinery capacity to do that in their own state!
I personally don't trust Georgia to regulate a refinery in our state. Our current governor is known as an environmentalist but I especially wouldn't trust him to try and establish regulations for a refinery. When he came into the governor's office we had a working, established telecommuting program that included an effective car pooling program that reduced the number of state employees that drove to work alone by approximately 40%...he canceled it the first year. The cost of this program was less than $30 per participating employee for a five month period. He gives lip service to the private sector about work-at-home programs but throws up so many road blocks that state employees can't participate. He is such a farcst.

WBCCI# 4821