Old 08-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Never underestimate a woman who tows Airstreams!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Pat, "YOU CAN TOW IT!" - Happy Towing!sue
What Sue said!! That lady can tow!! Ask me how I know, I followed her out of Ohio into Michigan....around orange barrels too!!

Pat you can do it!! Also we need another rivette with a hensley, so please consider towing with us!!

Why worry about trading up? Its just part of the fun...like redecorating...of course you'll want to change things!! Its our prerogative to change our minds, trailers, decorations, etc...!! Who knows maybe you'll want a 34' like Mrs. Towdaddy, she tows that trailer like a pro!!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Now, we have a 2007 23'AS that is a beautiful trailer and very very easy to tow. We traded our 1999 27'(29') AS for the 23' because it was 6 feet shorter and 6 inches narrower. I did not want to tow the 27', actually 29'.

Having driven many miles with the 23' and being very comfortable, even in heavy traffic, I wonder how it would differ from the 25' (26') AS.
You will revert to the same basic setup that you traded down from.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
At the beginning of every trip, the Yukon/trailer seems huge...but I'm used to my little daily driver car. In a couple of minutes, it's fine. Then when I come back from towing, my car feels too low, tiny & insignificant on the road. I truly feel you get comfortable with whatever you have...with practice.

I say go for it if the size-feel when towing is your only concern!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Unhappy Leaving the 23' Club!

Pat (starflyte1),

You're thinking about leaving the 23' club! Oh no! I read Bob's post too and remarked that that was probably the quickest upgrade on record, but it looks like Goin camping may have that beat. You need to list the advantages and disadvantages for your situation and base your decision on that. If I may, here's some input for that.

Admittedly, this 23' is the biggest trailer I have ever towed, and while I was apprehensive at first, I'm now pretty comfortable towing it. I'm sure you or I could get use to a 25' just as easily.

There are two reasons we would like a 25' FB: bigger holding tanks, and easier to make bed. There are several reasons we didn't go there.

Although our truck is rated to pull 8,900 pounds, the 25' is almost 2,000 lbs more that the 23' and we didn't want to be stressing it that much. We had just bought the biggest truck we could easily fit in our garage before purchasing the trailer; an F250 would have to stay outside, which is not a good idea in Florida.

The way gas prices are going, we thought smaller and lighter was probably better, but we wanted a tandem axle for long-distance, remote area towing. We also wanted to make sure everything stayed affordable in retirement, which is happening next month.

I read somewhere that a 25' trailer is the largest that most of the National Parks will accept, but in my route planning for our upcoming fall trip http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rip-34762.html, I'm seeing many campgrounds in the directories that won't accept over 21'. Next year we are planning to see several of the great parks in combination with the International Rally. We are also planning a trip to Alaska in a year or two, so I didn't want trailer size to be an issue.

While at Perry, we looked at the 25' and 27' trailers again. We agree with Dennis (cosmotini) the 27' FB is really nice and spacious, but that's now over our size limit, and truly in the F250 range.

So far we have only towed our 23' about 3,000 miles and spent only 15 nights in her, but we have been very comfortable, and really no complaints other than wrasselin' with the mattress . We may change our minds after we make this 35-day 3,000 mile trip we have planned, but that will be the subject of another post if it comes up.

FWIW

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Some one bought it!

First, let me say thank you to all the replies, full of suggestions, encouragement, tips, invitations, and ideas! All things were go yesterday morning, but by noon my husband was having second thoughts. So I was quiet about it and today he asked if I had found one yet.

The one I had my eye on had a deposit put on it this morning! So, I am following up on 3 others, but have no idea what they might want for a trade. Am waiting to hear from the dealers.

I probably will end up with a 25', but it might not be immediately. May try to sell our 23' myself, but I don't know what it is worth because there are no used 23's for sale. Also, living in Florida, there is an advantage to trading because you only pay sales tax on the difference. Approx. $2000 savings with trade.

So, the plan is in motion! Thanks again,

Pat
Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Pat,

I have someone looking for a used unit about the size of yours...

give me a shout and I can get you the details...

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
G, I sent you an email. Pat
Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
23 vs 25

My wife and I both share the driving on our A/S journeys. The new rig tow's easier than our 19' "63" Safari, the dual axle's making a big difference. It took no time at all to adjust to the added length and width. Our 95 3/4 ton Suburban being the tow vehicle for both. The ease of towing, with the proper set-up, is one of the A/S biggest +'s. Go for it!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have a 78 24ft Argosy that I am left with most of the year. Having towed a 22ft AS for years while showing dogs, I have no problem with this. However, we all know the vintage Argosy is very light and I can easily pull it with my Tundra. I have never had a problem towing this 24ft, it's the backing that I just can't seem to get comfortable with. I've ordered the videos, made attempts to back the boat down the boat ramp for practice, and NOTHING. Towing an AS is sooooo easy and I would love to have a little more room in mine. I've searched for a 28ft rear bedroom for a long time. Someday I may find one and since I can't back anything anyway, what difference would it make to have 28ft you can't back instead of 24ft. I say go for the extra room if you have the tow vehicle to pull it. Pulling is no problem.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
We pick it up Friday!

We pick up our new 25' FB SE LS Safari AS next Friday from Colonial in NJ.!

They had 2 that I would like, but one had a deposit placed on it, so we were able to "make a deal" on the other. It has the Stratus interior and the big windows front and back. It was almost identical to the other, except for the interior color. The 23' we have now has the Stratus interior, so can just move the towels, etc. to the new one. They will move the Hensley for us.

I LOVE this forum! So full of incouragement! Made the decision quite easy.

Thanks again,
Pat
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
We pick up our new 25' FB SE LS Safari AS next Friday from Colonial in NJ.!

They had 2 that I would like, but one had a deposit placed on it, so we were able to "make a deal" on the other. It has the Stratus interior and the big windows front and back. It was almost identical to the other, except for the interior color. The 23' we have now has the Stratus interior, so can just move the towels, etc. to the new one. They will move the Hensley for us.

I LOVE this forum! So full of encouragement! Made the decision quite easy.

Thanks again,
Pat
And by the time you make it back to Florida, you'll be towing it like a pro. Just be careful in construction zones, we don't want you joining the Orange Barrel Club.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I've searched for a 28ft rear bedroom for a long time. Someday I may find one and since I can't back anything anyway, what difference would it make to have 28ft you can't back instead of 24ft.
Judy, a 28 foot is easier to back than a 24. Our 31 is easier to back than our 26, and it was way easier to back than our 20.
Remember, put your hand at the bottom of the wheel, and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Start turning before you want the trailer to start turning, and remember a little turn on the wheel equals a big turn of the trailer.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
To Randy:

Yes, we are leaving the 23' club. But, just completed a wonderful, comfortable, 38 day, 9000 mile trip in our 23', and I never thought of getting a 25', UNTIL BobFowler's post. I am very impulsive, just needed the idea.

I am sure that you will have a great trip in your 23'. Getting fuel is where I really like the 23', plus it is a joy to tow, as you know.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Less is MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Judy, a 28 foot is easier to back than a 24. Our 31 is easier to back than our 26, and it was way easier to back than our 20.
Remember, put your hand at the bottom of the wheel, and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Start turning before you want the trailer to start turning, and remember a little turn on the wheel equals a big turn of the trailer.
Yep, everything he said... with emphasis on "a LITTLE turn on the wheel equals a BIG turn of the trailer". Backing is an exercise in finesse... brute force backfires.

Paula