Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
2014 Winter Olympics

While we often disagree with Russia, their opening and closing presentations were far out fantastic.

The colors, the overheads, the everythings, were far above outstanding and imagination.

Thank you Russia, for an Olympics that will be memorable for many many years.

And especially thank you for superior control so that attacks on humanity never happen.

I, for one, am still in awe for the overall presentations and beauty.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Yes, they were very good. No doubt about it. But ... I still think that the ceremonies at Vancouver were just the best I've ever seen. Just stunning.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
When were the Olympics? Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
A terrific Olympic Games, sad to see it end. I agree the opening and closing ceremonies were superbly done, a little reminiscent of the London summer Olympics two years ago.
Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
When were the Olympics? Jim
February 7th to 23rd, 2014, held in Russia.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
They were ok, but I thought the 2008 Olympics in China was the best opening and closing ceremonies ever. As far as coverage I thought the major TV stations were terrible, that and the ability to see the results 8-10 hours before they were aired sucked. That said congrats to all countries for their efforts, wished the weather had been more conducive to 'winter' Olympics.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
The ceremonies reminded me of London, with the aerial elements. They were certainly of a grand scale. I liked the Vancouver ones (especially KD Lang singing) but then I am biased. I was very glad to see the Russian games come off relatively smoothly, good for them.

But what really made it great was hockey. Especially the women's hockey.

We had very good TV coverage, in real time. We recorded starting at 4 am and watched throughout each day.

jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I agree Andy. I'm kind of bored with all the politcal opinions and frankly the ever present "need" to beat Russia and criticize every step of the way. I will say, however, that a lot of the newer events were plucked right out of the X-Games...not a big fan of the baggy pants and "all or nothing" snow boarding events.
1992 Excella Classic 29'
...2013 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 Gasser
Tltulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The games, including the opening/closing ceremonies, were superb.

I thought it interesting that the security fears that had dominated newscasts before the games pretty much disappeared into the background as soon as competition started.

Our CBC broadcast coverage was great - at least 4 choices of as-it-is-happening coverage that was available through the either the web or TV, including the ability to go back and watch entire replays of covered events in their entirety. We did find it great to be able to watch a real-time event on TV and also have the real-time line-up and scoring charts on the laptop.

A terrific two weeks.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
DVR made it a very watchable and enjoyable presentation, hard to believe half a world away and we had better pictures than the locals. Not a sports addict but loved seeing others doing things of such precise execution, even the x games type doing it on a whim.
Congrats to Russia on keeping the atheletes safe and able to do a closing ceremony that allowed the error of the opening to be shown and enjoyed by all.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
While Russia did a good overall job on the game I wonder what the repercussions will be going forward.. They spent 50 BILLION dollars on this deal. More than the past 4-5 winter games total. Only china summer games at 44 billion was close to the the cost of Sochi.

I wonder when the world will say it time to start reusing old event locations like Lake Placid, Lillehammer, Salt Lake, etc.. for winter and summer like Altanta, Beijing, and others. Only way to stop the maddness on spending for games.

someone referenced it to building a new stadium for the super bowl ever 4 years.

In reading some info on Wiki it is almost always true the host city never makes a profit from the games. Most loose money and continue to loose money on unused or under used infrastructure for years.
Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99 check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
About 10 days of televised curling - yeah! That is one of the few things that can keep me still in front of the TV for hours.

robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote