Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Time was correct in post 7. It was pulled at request of the thread starter. I must be discrete and await developments.
ah, thanks for clearing that up bob.

the anticipation builds....

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya Tomorrow...it's only a day away!

G
Well, I get back in from out of town and it appears to be 3 days now....where are the photos. I didn't see it on the Airstream site or the A of A site.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Come on, give us a bone! Please post specs, also. Am curious if they're lighter weight. Maybe someone who lives nearby who actually has time can go over and get some photos of FC, inside and out. Also, would like to see photos/specs of the Sport.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
is this thread like the one Pee Wee did? Get everyone worked up about something, excited, string them on and then nothing to warrant the hype?

Sorry to speak for you Steve... correct me if you do not agree with what I am about to say.
At the Cherry Blossom Rally, byamcaravaner and I talked quite a bit about his resent tour of the Mother-ship. He expressed how unimpressed he was with the new trailers and how they are put together. What he was very impressed with was the European units. These units are narrower and lighter than the domestic line. The scale of the units is reminiscent of the older units and I even recall him saying "like the older flying clouds". With gas and fuel costs, perhaps more domestic buyers will want these units. When Steve asked his guide if the European units could be bought here, he was told "there would be no interest".

I too want to say, I agree with 2Air... there I said it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
only here on airstream forums could you have a thread that is all about pics, absent of pics, and still have two pages of responses to read

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
The scale of the units is reminiscent of the older units and I even recall him saying "like the older flying clouds". With gas and fuel costs, perhaps more domestic buyers will want these units. When Steve asked his guide if the European units could be bought here, he was told "there would be no interest".
Chuckle...chuckle...chuckle....
Old 04-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, I think part of the wait is that the "mother ship" has not had time to reach all the dealers at the same time to actually TELL them what's down the line for 2009. My favorite dealer won't know until Monday (tomorrow) from the factor rep doing the dealer tour (I think there was no dealer meeting this year)... I suppose I'd be mad if I was a dealer and info was released before I even knew what the internet knew.

No disregard to A of A.. Thank you Gene for letting us know what's coming! I think again the Factory needs to make sure every dealer knows at the same time.

I also agree... I'd like to see the lighter EU units (with better finishes) featured here. Heck, even disk brakes throughout the line would be lighter than the heavy drums offered now.
2 cents
Marc
Old 04-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
... I think again the Factory needs to make sure every dealer knows at the same time...
hey marc how ya doing! see you and the other m's at a33!

about 12-14 dealers (out of ~100) account for 85%-90% of sales.

instead of a full dealers' meeting this round, my understanding is...

a/s only met with the dealer council (basically the top 10) to describe the new stuff and 'state of the company'...

a dealer who still has NEW 05s or 06s on the lot, may not care much for quick silver hype, a limited edition thing or 09 info....

i wonder how many of those other 85 dealers even USE a computer, other than for parts and billing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
is this thread like the one Pee Wee did? Get everyone worked up about something, excited, string them on and then nothing to warrant the hype?...
i'm sure there will be pix soon...

but 62s' comparison might still apply in 2 ways...

1. the unit is basically a modern safari, so i doubt any retro owners will care for it...

it isn't for example an extension of the winick approach to interiors.

2. at least wally KNEW when he was carrying a pot of poo, and when to DUMP it...

a/s has crashed badly of late with the basecamp boondoggle and lackluster sales of the safari sport.

the safari sport model (which gets a new name too) is basically the 'euro' equivalent in size/width...

but without the euro-cool appliances, trim, interior bits, running gear and frame...

those interested can see the 'euro' stuff here, including magazine reviews and interior photos...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f341...ead-35473.html

it's interesting that the international folks posting in that thread don't seem too interested in the new euro offering...

perfering instead to import old buckets, fix leaks, shine 'em and enjoy.

cost is a BIG factor in that but so are the current exterior/shell construction techniques and materials.

i don't think don the tour guy has got much of a pulse for what young americans want in a 'stream...

but my understanding is the euro bits that are delivered to j/c MUST go back in these units...

so they'd need to address this issue, to put the frame and appliances IN a domestic unit.

ultra high end moho sales have only slightly dropped in the current economy

and small (expensive) class b/sprinter stuff (from other vendors) are holding on to sales...

but every other segment is way off this quarter...

it IS the ideal time for thor/a-s to deeply evaluate the products, INNOVATE and improve materials and techniques...

those things AND a much LONGER warranty might restore some buyer faith...

that they are once again building them to last....

moving the door, flipping names and adding an ipod connection, or dwr clocks and trim, are transparent gyrations...

perhaps they could start by including a well crafted chamber pot...

one wally would like!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No interest in smaller Airstreams?

Well I looked out my window yesterday and there were two nice campers, one with a CASITA and the other with a SCAMP - both parked almost next to me. I've met both campers now, both couples, and they just love the fact that they can tow with small SUV's.

Weekend campers with most of the benefits of tent camping, but warm dry and snug with no more setup time than a full size Airstream.

I look at these units vs. the Basecamp.... sorry I'd choose either of these as being lower priced and more user friendly.

I'm betting these little guys will sell like hotcakes as the fuel prices go up and up.

Paula
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If the Mother ship would make an exact copy of my 1962, well I would be looking at some financing right away. I was fortunate to have toured 46 of 48 units at the CBR this past weekend. I looked at all with a highly critical eye and can say for myself that the older they are, the more functional they seemed to be. Some of the younger ones looked tired already.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	58698
This is Donna sexy little 1955 bubble, it could easily be pulled by a small SUV. I'll take two please.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
2009 Flying Cloud pics?!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tap, tap, tap...this thing on?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Free Bird!