Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
86' 270 Costom

1986 27' Airstream 270
Bonner , Montana
1986 270 custom

I thought that I would ask a question about my Airstream. I'm trying to sell it on ebay, and it's a converstion, pretty little camper, and of course valuable. Is there just seems to be no market, this is the third time I have tried to sell it with no luck. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or is there no market for customs? It used to be a Mobil Medical Unit now it's an RV.

On the scenic Blackfoot River, Montana

My parents' dream is comming true!!!
CTHilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Why don't you post a link to your most recent listing and maybe someone here can give you feedback.

OBTW, do you have RV parking at McNamara's Landing?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I think it's your ad

Since you asked for feedback....I read your ad and I think maybe the problem is with the ad, not the market for you MoHO. First, you have to sound convincing in your descriptions. Don't start out with an apology that you haven't sold anything before... and that it's a conversion. Your ad doesn't inspire a lot of buyer confidence that this is a cool rig. Plus, your pictures of the interior don't really show it to its best advantage. They are too dark and you can't really see anything. Instead of apologizing for everything about the rig, be bold. Say something like "super-rare Airstream mobile medical unit" Talk about the quality of the conversion...that sort of thing. Lots of good pictures and a confident, enthusiastic description will make a world of difference.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Might be that it's in Montana too. Rather far for most people to come and pick it up. Might get more response if you were willing to deliver it in a 200 - 400 mile radius.

Just a thought.

Paula
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Smile Freds

Put an ad on freds. Blu Hwy gave you good advise - state the good "LOW LOW MILES - custom interior - unique paint job - must sell my jewel - My loss your gain"
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
advertise it here on the Forums, on the Airstream web site, and on airstream.net.
All free. Try any other free RV sale site and also Craig's list.com These are specialty units and take a little while to sell. I sold one of the nicest 280's around last Spring, and it was a crazy experience. Many many inquiries, few serious. Then all of a sudden it was gone.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
advertise it here on the Forums, on the Airstream web site, and on airstream.net.
All free. Try any other free RV sale site and also Craig's list.com These are specialty units and take a little while to sell. I sold one of the nicest 280's around last Spring, and it was a crazy experience. Many many inquiries, few serious. Then all of a sudden it was gone.
Most of the "free" sites are a total waste of time. The traffic is very low and the visitors are not specifically looking for an Airstream.

Hitting your target market is the key. That's why my site works so well. I have received feedback that my visitors are looking specifically for an Airstream unit.

One of the value added services that I provide is re-writing the ads for better impact. I also request additional photos of items I think are important. I talk with folks all of the time regarding these units. I know what they want and don't want.

I also remove the sold units so buyers don't have to look through units that sold YEARS ago. I still see Doc Joe's unit for sale on one of those "Free" sites and he sold it over two years ago.

FREE isn't always a great value.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Wink Free is a bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985air345
Most of the "free" sites are a total waste of time. The traffic is very low and the visitors are not specifically looking for an Airstream.

Hitting your target market is the key. That's why my site works so well. I have received feedback that my visitors are looking specifically for an Airstream unit.

One of the value added services that I provide is re-writing the ads for better impact. I also request additional photos of items I think are important. I talk with folks all of the time regarding these units. I know what they want and don't want.

I also remove the sold units so buyers don't have to look through units that sold YEARS ago. I still see Doc Joe's unit for sale on one of those "Free" sites and he sold it over two years ago.

FREE isn't always a great value.
Whoa - Fred - Come on now! I posted your site here on this thread cause I think it's good. But I certainly don't think the "free" sites are bad. I bought my Argosy and my motor home on free sites. Now - when your talk'en 40k for a unit, your site is basically free. So I think you are a bargain but not the only bargain. Lighten up a bit
Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I'm not trying to be difficult. The original question was about the ad wording and lack of a sale on ebay. I get lots of units on my site that failed to sell on ebay and free sites. The fact is, my site is used mostly by buyers. Not just buying any unit, but an Airstream. The sellers have given me excellent feedback on the quality of the contacts made.

I just sold a unit that failed to sell on a free web site. The seller reported lots of quality activity from my site.

I love Airstream Forums and refer all my contacts to here for information. The classifieds here is nice but most users here already have an Airstream.

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote