Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 Olds WBCCI 7942

Came across this picture on ebay for sale. Nice looking shot, appears to have been on a caravan based on the red sticker.

Original Kodachrome 35mm Slide Airstream Trailer Old Car 1960's Americana | eBay

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-ebay.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	174223  

Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Nice car. I like the west coast mirrors.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Came across this picture on ebay for sale. Nice looking shot, appears to have been on a caravan based on the red sticker.

Original Kodachrome 35mm Slide Airstream Trailer Old Car 1960's Americana | eBay

Enjoy,

Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:

Enjoy,
That is a great period photo!

The Wally Byam's Caravan Sticker was often used on caravans, but was also used by club members who were not on any caravans in the early 1960's. It was replaced by the typical round WBCCI sticker in approximately 1963.

The Airstream in this photo appears to be a 1963 24' Tradewind built in California. The WBCCI #7942 would have been first assigned in late 1962 which would be reasonable for an early 1963 Airstream that could have been built in late 1962. Based upon the age of the car, I believe the photo is from around this time period.

The first assignees for #7942 were Charles and Phyllis Lent of Vancouver Washington. They are listed for this number in the 1964 (membership as of 1963) through 1975 Membership Directories, but are not listed as having participated on any caravans.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Joe,

Wow, you are good.

Makes you wonder if this picture taken the first time they went out camping in their new trailer like so many of us have done. The background would lend to the Vancouver location.

I'm sure 50 years ago when the picture was taken they had no idea it would be still around at this time and better yet be up for sale with people who know nothing of them personally willing to buy it. It makes you wonder if the children or grandchildren of these folks like this even know this picture take 50 years ago is up for sale?

I like how if you look real close, you can see the legs of folding aluminum chairs in front of the door area of the trailer.

A question I do have though, what is the third door/cover located on the back bath area above the running light? I've never seen that before on a trailer. Any ideas?

Enjoy,
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Here's another one for sale by the same person, another great shot.

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-camp.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	174246  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Great pics guys. Thnxs for posting!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
That is a GREAT photo. Thanks for posting. I've given some thought to collecting that kind of photo. I love seeing them. That's an exceptional quality one because it is a slide and not damaged.

And thanks to the one who looked up the WBCCI registered folks. Fun.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:

Enjoy,
Hey Paul,
Try not to laugh too hard but I own a 60 Olds Super 88 4 door Hardtop just like this, however it is white with a red top. It's a rust free example from Montana. My plan has been to turn it into my Vintage tow vehicle for my 59 Ambassador International or my 57 Sovereign of the Road, if I ever get the chance to complete it . At some point I'll be able to take all kinds of period photos of the configuration.....................albeit not using Kodachrome.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
A question I do have though, what is the third door/cover located on the back bath area above the running light? I've never seen that before on a trailer. Any ideas?
That's easy, it's a hinged cover for an optional bath fan, located right above the toilet in the bath room. This seems to have been an option only in 1962 and 1963 as far as I know. It worked on both 12V and 110VAC and was the same fan you often see above a range in the kitchen area of Airstreams.

My Ohio built 1962 22' Safari has that same fan, but it is located on the opposite side of the trailer because in 1962 Ohio had the bathroom layout reversed with the toilet in the curb side rear corner.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags