Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
127 Defining Moments for Outside Magazine Online

Hello fellow Airstreamers,

I need your help! Hopefully it's cool to post this here? (If not please delete my post).

Remember the climber Aron Ralson who's arm was trapped and had to cut his arm off with a pocket knife to free himself after 6 days. I need you help. During my hike on the PCT in 2008 I had a bear experinece the night before we reached Canada, and entered the contest. I submitted a draft and was updating the final my entry when the deadline passed, and my draft entry was submitted with some typos, kind of incomplete and, the picture is all messed up. Despite this I was selected as one of the 126 finalist!

I am trying stay in the top ten. Read my story, and if you like it click the thumbs up to cast your vote for me. The counter should increment when you have casted your vote.

http://www.127definingmoments.com/#/detailView?id=257

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Also you don't have to give any personal information to vote, and the site is legitimate. I've been a member this forum for years, haven't posted alot - but I do enjoy reading and the good information.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up

Wow! Quite a story. The kind of reason we prefer our "aluminum tent" to a cloth one in bear country! (Or wolf country.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks for your support! I appreciate all the votes!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Wow! Quite a story. The kind of reason we prefer our "aluminum tent" to a cloth one in bear country! (Or wolf country.)
Don't for one moment think that an Airstream will keep a bear out. In Yellowstone, rangers routinely find bears opening up cars like tin cans - and they are made of STEEL, not much softer aluminum. As my sister says, in bear country you in your Airstream "Um, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside."

Bears have a terrific sense of smell and any food, even in your refrigerator may be something they can smell. Canned food is pretty safe but any other kind of packaging - the bear will savor the aroma. You can usually frighten off a small brown bear, but not always. As for a grizzly... they are huge and cranky. Getting in your tow vehicle and vamoosing is the best strategy. There is a thread somewhere about a woman who had a scary but lucky encounter. Has some scratches on her A/S to back up the story. I've boondocked in the western part of Virginia and Maryland - the tow truck stays attached - the stabilizer jacks stay UP.

In deep woods, it's still best to hang the food high up from a tree branch to keep the bears from being attracted to you. Abandon your food and your campsite if challenged. A robust fire, bear spray, using your car's remote to sound the car alarm, etc. are good... but shouldn't be counted on. Bears are omnivores. To a hungry bear, you are protein.

(Sorry if this is TMI, but ladies please read) If it's mating season - women who are menstruating should not be in bear country. Seems our pheremones are remarkably similar to a lady bear's.... (I've dated a few fuzzy wuzzy guys... but there are limits to what I want to attract).

I was watching National Geographic about Moose and how they're becoming urbanized. Ditto for bears. We take their territory... they move into ours.

Paula
Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Don't for one moment think that an Airstream will keep a bear out. In Yellowstone, rangers routinely find bears opening up cars like tin cans - and they are made of STEEL, not much softer aluminum. As my sister says, in bear country you in your Airstream "Um, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside."
I never meant to imply that a bear couldn’t get into an Airstream. I just said I’d rather sleep in the Airstream than a tent. if a bear wanted in it would take him longer and he’d make more noise.

Our closest neighbor at our cabin lost his front porch to a bear. He had a bird feeder hanging over the porch railing and over the course of the summer the birds spilled a lot of seed through the cracks in the porch. The next spring a bear sensed the edible birdseed under the porch and pulled the porch off the cabin to get to it. (That was a black bear, not a grizzly.)

Quote:
Bears have a terrific sense of smell and any food, even in your refrigerator may be something they can smell. Canned food is pretty safe but any other kind of packaging - the bear will savor the aroma.
I think the best strategy might be to cook up a Bacon Explosion in the woods far from where you’re camped. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...s-68909-2.html

Quote:
There is a thread somewhere about a woman who had a scary but lucky encounter. Has some scratches on her A/S to back up the story.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-53997.html

Quote:
A robust fire, bear spray, using your car's remote to sound the car alarm, etc. are good... but shouldn't be counted on. Bears are omnivores. To a hungry bear, you are protein.
Bear spray and the car alarm are good ideas. Also we have found that our dogs barking usually chases away bears—even though our dogs are essentially bite-sized.

However, I don’t count on any of these things. I count on a .44 Magnum, and if traveling in grizzly bear country, a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. I have no desire to shoot a bear, and I would hate to fire either of those weapons inside the Airstream—you could kiss your eardrums good bye for a while—but it would probably beat getting your face ripped off by a grizzly.

Quote:
I was watching National Geographic about Moose and how they're becoming urbanized. Ditto for bears. We take their territory... they move into ours.
I don’t know about the “urbanized” part, but you do have to treat meese with respect. Being herbivores, they won’t eat you, but you could very easily be moose toe jams if you’re not careful. And they can be very unpredictable, especially during rut. I have been told that more people are killed by moose than bear.

On average, though, Airstreaming is probably less adventurous than Sean’s story of backpacking in bear country.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
I've had several bear experiences, this one was the closest by far. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT - East Coast), and was going thru the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, some hikers hung their entire backpack in the back country, while front country campers where required to put all food in their vehicles.

When I was hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT - West Coast) the bears were far more agile and creative, and would work together to get your food if you hung your food in the trees. During my hike, the PCT passes through Yosemite National Park, and there are signs warning one about leaving "Food in your Vehicle". I've heard of a few incidents of the bears ripping into cars there. Very different from the east coast policies.

This year I hiked the Continental Divide Trail (CDT), the bears where unlike the my other experiences - I guess because of the remoteness. I had to leave after hiking 1000+ miles on the CDT and didn't make it up to Yellowstone, which is where I've heard all the horry stories of bears ripping cars open like soda cans. To make matters worst this year, there has been a lot of bear activity that has forced Upper Green River area closed to overnight camping due to Bear activity on the CDT.

When I continue my CDT hike, I will likely carry some type of bear repellant, Bear Assault I hear works the best, and practice the bear safety precautions I know - no matter how inconvenient the circumstances are.

I appreciate everyone's support, and your time reading about my experience.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks for your help! - 127 Defining Moments

I would like to thank everyone for their support and voting. I'm still in the top ten! The winner will be annouced on Dec 10th, so I believe you still have time to vote.

Thanks,

Sean

Read my story, and if you like it click the "Thumbs Up" to cast your vote for me. The counter should increment when you have casted your vote. Thanks!