Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
'03 Safari

So I'm at South Jersey RV today, to deliver those parts that Hilary sold me on Ebay, and I see that Ron has an '03 Safari on the lot. Out of curiosity I take a look in it......WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!! I could have been in a Dutchmen, and it would have looked about the same to me.....everything was so generic. I dunno, maybe it's because I'm partial to the old ones, but when I walk into my Sovereign, I know it's an Airstream, because it has that certain characteristic that you won't find in a "regular" trailer, or SOB as they are referred to here.....tambour doors....rear bathroom...okay, so Streamline and Silverstreak had em too....they were all related anyway. So what happened???? Is it maybe because Thor Industries makes ten other brands of RV's, that Airstream just doesn't have that "je ne sais quoi" anymore? I mean, Jumpin' Jesus on a pogostick, for 35-75K, that thing better stand out in a crowd, and the only way it does that is from the outside, IMO. Okay, let the backlash begin!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
You have a valid point - I think one of the main reasons the CCDs were so popular (even with the price tag) was/is their distinctive interiors. Not to everyones taste - but truely unique.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
No backlash from me, Frederic. When looking for our Safari we found the CCD's to be unique, and especially liked the aluminum interior, but the rest of the decor and color schemes were either too bright or cold for our tastes. On the other hand, the interior offerings in the Safaris were little different than any other SOB on the market. We finally decided decided on those because we thought they would be easier to modify. Our 68 Tradewind definitely has a distinctive look.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

We had no trouble choosing our Safari because of its tasteful decor -- no chintz or stupid oak cabinets -- like the SOBs or even Classics have. We find it's unique in look and gets tons of compliments at campgrounds. It's comfortable and has a great layout. It tows like an Airstream. It is an Airstream. It will last like an Airstream.

Sure, we looked at CCDs, but the cabinet doors are stupid, the colors are ridiculous (they will age about as well as a 1992 teal Chevy Cavalier) and the atmospheres are generally cold.

There's your backlash.

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey how 'bout a picture

of your smart looking interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We had no trouble choosing our Safari because of its tasteful decor -- no chintz or stupid oak cabinets -- like the SOBs or even Classics have. We find it's unique in look and gets tons of compliments at campgrounds. It's comfortable and has a great layout. It tows like an Airstream. It is an Airstream. It will last like an Airstream.

Sure, we looked at CCDs, but the cabinet doors are stupid, the colors are ridiculous (they will age about as well as a 1992 teal Chevy Cavalier) and the atmospheres are generally cold.

There's your backlash.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Hey, the 1992 teal chevy cavalier WILL make a comeback someday.....

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a 22' CCD and love the decor. I toned it down a bit by getting the Lemongrass green instread of the orange or blue. There is only a small amount of black cabnetry (wardrobe and nightstand) and not overdone like on the 25' and 28'. I like the white cabinets and aluminum side walls.

But what really disturbs me is the cheap materials and poor workmanship. The fit and finish of the cabinets is sorry. The laminated wood is a vaneer over cheap partical board. This stuff doesn't hold a screw very well and it's not long before a pile of sawdust forms and cabinet doors fall off with the hinges. My stove top has popped screws numerous times because there is nothing solid for it to catch to.

On the outside, the refrigerator vent covers are white plastic that have been painted gun metal gray. It's already peeling off. Why didn't Airstream put aluminum louvered vent covers on the 22' like they do on the 19'?

Well, anyway, I dropped my CCD off at the dealer yesterday (for the third time) with a long punchlist of warranty items to correct. I pointed out to him that all were because of low quality materials (to cut cost) and sorry labor and quality control (why my roof is leaking).

While SOBs may also have these kind of problems, they're usually a bit cheaper. I didn't expect the amount of problems I'm experiencing with a "High Dollar" trailer like Airstream.

Prospective buyer's do read these forums, Airstream.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I wonder if Chris Deam ever reads these posts and gets a little irked that his name is attached to a product that people don't like....The interior of the trailers are beautifully designed, but if it were me, I'd be asking A/S "wtf over?"

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371