Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Wish Airstream would sell this....

Knaus is since many years one of the biggest trailer builders in the world, renowned for their high quality and innovative products.
Recently they introduced new line of Motorhomes which I find fascinating, especially the interiors.

Would love to see this under the Airstream brand, I think it would suit very well, better then the current smaller motorhomes.

Have a look on their (uk english) website: Knaus

here some pics:

sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Very nice integral innovations. I would like something like that for the LCD with the false wall giving the monitor a built in appearance and the shelves for wine and glasses with lighting above...cool! The place for a towel to dry off the wall in the bathroom is good idea. Lots of interesting and astethically pleasing features in these motorhomes. Would be great to incorporate some of this into a renovation or upgrade. I cannot imagine what AS would charge for appointments like this!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Really neat stuff. It gives us some ideas for a future refit of Lucy. Thanx for the info.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Knaus is one of a number of German builders of trailers and motorhomes making very attractive interiors. Since they compete with one another, almost all of the interiors are attractive. The tendency is toward smooth surfaces rather than paneled doors. Construction is usually very light because of smaller engines of towing vehicles and/or base vehicles. Our Airstream interiors often have a sturdier feel, but the German products tend to have better finish of the individual components. An interesting aspect of the German products is the double ("thermopane") windows using acrylic plastic rather than glass. Saves weight and insulates, but the plastic can be scratched much more easily. Attached is another picture of a Knaus trailer interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurostar_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	38516  
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I love that European look. Very nice.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Very nice. Almost nautical looking! Airstream would do well do hire a well trained yacht builder... boats have great storage usually and are often appointed very well.

Thanks for the pics.
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
What makes this manufacture so cool is what this motor home can handle. Its a world travler.

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Red face Unicat - defunct

@ 59toaster: the pics you related to show Unicat-products.
At least the german branch ("mothership") went bancrupt a couple of months ago (rumours say something about financing bottleneck due to too many chassis in stock - banks are pretty restrictive here for small companies since BaselII).

Too bad; exciting toys.
A popular type of motorhomes over here with various companies (mostly german, 1 or 2 in Switzerland or Austria).

The outside / style of these things leaves something to be desired (box-style SOB) in comparison to an aluminum-icon, though.

The dream:
The build quality and interior styling of the better european brands* matched with the iconic design-principles of airstream..
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by memartinde
@ 59toaster: the pics you related to show Unicat-products.
At least the german branch ("mothership") went bancrupt a couple of months ago (rumours say something about financing bottleneck due to too many chassis in stock - banks are pretty restrictive here for small companies since BaselII).

Too bad; exciting toys.
A popular type of motorhomes over here with various companies (mostly german, 1 or 2 in Switzerland or Austria).

The outside / style of these things leaves something to be desired (box-style SOB) in comparison to an aluminum-icon, though.

The dream:
The build quality and interior styling of the better european brands* matched with the iconic design-principles of airstream..
They are back and they now have a US branch and building on US chassis. Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

Form follows function on the outside. Because the units are designed to travel third world countries the exterior of the camper is "Hardened" and when in travel mode the camper windows are blocked so they are not damage by branches or thieves. Not aerodynamic by any means but most of the Unicat trucks rarely get on roads that can sustain travel much more then 50mph.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
What makes this manufacture so cool is what this motor home can handle. Its a world travler.

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

Too ugly for words.. I rather have the Earthroamer

Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I love Airstreams but the Unicats are exceptional. Ugly.. like maybe a Aga or Wolf range. They look like they're designed for what they're intended to do. The interiors look pretty nice. Now Airstream should take a good look at the Knaus interiors. The might learn something about good design.They fired Aunt Bea as designer and swung a 180 to the CCD look.Haven't they ever heard of focus groups .Maybe they need some real feedback before turning some of this stuff out.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
The Knaus "Caravans" have pretty sharp interiors.

It looks like they are all single axle?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have Earth Roamer lust but the Knaus is prettier. I too would love to see those marketed here by Airstream.
-KL
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Curiously you like german style or European style because you can't get it in USA... About me , it's the same but in the other way... I love all that you have because it's not in FRANCE... Sure with Airstream , I've imported one and now it's the american dream but in France. Why don't you try to import a "Knauss caravan " in USA if it's your dream ...lol
We always think that the neighbor's grass is greener than our...
Even if the interiors of these European caravans are great, I've never hesitated in the choice for spending good times ... ONLY in an AIRSTREAM !With the time, I know I 'm right with that.

Bruno
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
The Knaus "Caravans" have pretty sharp interiors.

It looks like they are all single axle?
No, the trailers and motorhomes are also in double axle configurations.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
New Milford , Connecticut
Hi Bruno
love your blog, where do you take your airstream in france?
WBCCI # 3408
AIR # 17138
www.jodycipot.com
JCIPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #17
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIPOT
Hi Bruno
love your blog, where do you take your airstream in france?
Do you mean where I go with the Airstream in Frane ?

I live in the north of France, near the belgium frontier and he As is near me in storage when it's wintering time. So in june of each year, now, we decide to live in for 2 monthes, and we park it in a campground, not so far from our apartment, and we continue to work... it's the way we found to wait the real holidays with the AS. The campground is near Calais and I'm a it impatient to "begin the season now...".
This year, in August, we 've planned to go in another campground near Bordeaux: Arcachon exactly ; Always the same problem, we have to find a campground that accept this trailer, for space, double axle and electricity.
The last campground ( in the Basque coast) has given the place to another just before we reserve...
You know all the story now.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not bad looking units!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Curiously you like german style or European style because you can't get it in USA... About me , it's the same but in the other way... I love all that you have because it's not in FRANCE...
Sounds like a classic case of, "the grass always looks greener on the other side."

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Curiously you like german style or European style because you can't get it in USA... About me , it's the same but in the other way... I love all that you have because it's not in FRANCE... Sure with Airstream , I've imported one and now it's the american dream but in France. Why don't you try to import a "Knauss caravan " in USA if it's your dream ...lol
We always think that the neighbor's grass is greener than our...
Even if the interiors of these European caravans are great, I've never hesitated in the choice for spending good times ... ONLY in an AIRSTREAM !With the time, I know I 'm right with that.

Bruno
The same for me.. as an European I love American design, especially from the 1950-60's.. but very often (and unfortunately) the build quality and technical solutions are also stuck in that period...just look at any household appliance, they are so power inefficient, bulky, heavy...and don't function very well or for very long...

I love my Airstream, but the more I use it, I realise I wish it had more advanced solutions and better thought out details, like the Knaus, but with AIRSTREAM design style please!