Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #1

woodstock , Vermont
winter traveling in snow country..

Not sure this made it to the forum. Am contemplatinga 30 foot Airstream Landyacht. and looking for feedback about how it would do in snow country for extended ski trips. Specifically: how do the plumbing, mechanics standup during extended sub freezing periods (two-three weeks), and how does it handle driving in snow and icy conditions?

Any feedback helpful
vermonttroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey Vermont, welcome to the forums. Driving any heavy vehicle in the winter environment will take some getting used to. The weight of the Land Yacht should be considered when thinking ahead while driving. Stopping distance is exagerated with all that mass on slippery surfaces. There's no reason you can't drive in snow and ice but you'll have to be careful and be well prepared. That means chains at times too.
As far as the systems go....if you have LP and keep the heat on you shouldn't have trouble with the pluming. If the black tank and grey tank don't have heaters you'll need to retrofit them. Replumbing with PEX might be a good idea too as it is very good in lower temps. Just search PEX in the search box above.
I used an RV years ago in Canada for skiing and it was a great way for a bunch of us to enjoy the slopes together.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
If you do this, let me know how it turns out. I have a 31 ft Airstream and have been wondering also.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I left Ohio to drive to Florida in one Heck of blizzard in January of 2004, pulling my 31. It pulled just fine, as long as I stayed under 50 mph, which I did until I was clear of the storm, about midway through WVA. I was in 4WD much of the time. A trip I would not want to repeat.

Plumbing was full of RV antifreeze.

I did not stay in the A/S until I arrived in Florida. Got a motel halfway in Virginia, after driving 9 hours in what should have taken 6.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f40/tires-winter-trailering-23943.html Check out this thread
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We use our Chummy for winter camping in Wisconsin and other frozen states with no problems. The campgrounds are empty and you can always find the best spots open. One night we pulled into a state park in Ohio with the snow so deep we could not open the door to place the tag on the snow covered pole outside. Our biggest problem is finding fresh water to fill the tank. Flying J's and other truck stops with RV islands usually have dump stations but turn off the water.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I just wrote a detailed post about how we travel with our Airstream on ski trips every year. If you would like to read it, the link is here: Winter Glamping Airstream Style » Just 5 More Minutes

We've been traveling on ski trips now going on four years and have never had issues. As a matter of fact, it's our favorite time to Airstream
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
In Vermont winter weather, I would recommend that you winterize your RV-- drain everything, blow out the pipes, and take some jerry cans and water bottles for light-duty water use. You can still use your sink and toilet with a manual flush (hence the water bottles) with a chaser of a light anti-freeze (like windshield washer fluid.) Showers are out of the question, but then hopefully you're OK with a campground shower, or a sponge-bath-- or just waiting to freshen up till you get home.

We know someone who froze his water pipes with inadequate winterizing, and it was not a pretty (or inexpensive) picture to fix everything.

During the shoulder seasons you can take a chance with your full water systems-- with your furnace on. Hopefully in your unit the furance blasts hot air into the below-floor plumbing area, as well as keeping you toasty. We've camped in sub-freezing temperatures with the water system operating (20F), but then the temps got well above freezing during the day, and that really cold stuff wasn't for the entire night.

The other thing to watch out for when snow camping is interior condensation. Your breath and even low water use (like boiling a tea kettle) are sufficient to create a lot of moisture on the inside. Leave a vent or window ajar to create some air circulation, so that the moisture can escape. Otherwise you can wake up to the sight of condensation trickling down the inside of your unit. I would especially try to keep wet/snowy footware in just one spot by the door, especially if you have carpet; and any wet towels or wet/snowy jackets out of the unit when feasible. (With our Bambi, we just spread them out in the truck.)

If you camp with hook-ups, you may find an electric space heater to be handy.

But, wow! "Ski trails in Vermont?" (Or was it "Moonlight in Vermont"?)

Sounds wonderful to me.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
J5MM, have visited you blog loads, big fan :-) Really want to go on a ferry every time I read your trip details.