Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Which year motorhome?

I am wondering which year has the least problems. I really love the style of the 345's but fuel mileage has to suffer due to it made for 55 miles per hour. The early nineties seem to have leak problems.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help me decide?
Kenny

Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
If you ask me they all will have problems. Engines and transmissions are frequently heavily abused, major systems like fridge, furnace, water heater age and need replacement, wheels aren't balanced well causing problems, etc.

Any way you cut it you're going to have to work on your motorhome and the older they get the more work. Look at all that Keyair has been doing to his 345, all the work I've been doing to our 310 and the list of other owners doing the same thing goes on and on.

My suggestion is find the model that appeals to you the most, find the best example of that model you can afford and buy it. Keep in mind the purchase price is usually just the down payment and you'll be spending money for as long as you own it.

With that all said they are still worth owning!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
With that all said they are still worth owning!

Brad[/QUOTE]

We just took our 1984 310 over the border into Canada and left it stored there for the winter. The Canadian Customs guy was skeptical and required me to post a deposit to guarantee that I would not leave it there. He came up with a value that was $2,750 more than I paid for it two years ago, making it my best car investment ever.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
We just took our 1984 310 over the border into Canada and left it stored there for the winter. The Canadian Customs guy was skeptical and required me to post a deposit to guarantee that I would not leave it there. He came up with a value that was $2,750 more than I paid for it two years ago, making it my best car investment ever.
Your deposit was more than you paid for the motorhome
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I think he meant that the estimated amount was $2700 more then what he paid for it.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht
I think he meant that the estimated amount was $2700 more then what he paid for it.
Yeah, sorry. They estimated the value at $15k after spending about a half hour online looking at ads. The deposit was 5 percent, so Canada Customs is keeping 750 of our dollars that they promise to give back if I remove the 310 from Canada by June 1 of next year. I think that the guy was hoping to find an ad that I had posted and show that I was really trying to deliver it to somebody in Canada, which I wasn't.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I need to learn to not respond to posts when I'm tired

I flew from the east coast to the west coast Sunday and my mind (and body) aren't in sync yet

Brad
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Yeah, sorry. They estimated the value at $15k after spending about a half hour online looking at ads. The deposit was 5 percent, so Canada Customs is keeping 750 of our dollars that they promise to give back if I remove the 310 from Canada by June 1 of next year. I think that the guy was hoping to find an ad that I had posted and show that I was really trying to deliver it to somebody in Canada, which I wasn't.
How did they even know you were leaving (storing) it in Canada? If you ask me that's none of their business.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

How did they even know you were leaving (storing) it in Canada? If you ask me that's none of their business.
I made the mistake of volunteering the information when they asked me how long we would be in Canada. The real mistake was passing through a small port where the officers had to e to waste. If I had stayed on the interstate I am pretty sure they would have waved me through.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
They usually ask how long YOU would be staying, not bothering or figuring you will leave without your mh. Tricky thing would be on returning to USA he will ask how long you were in Canada, when you say a week and he checks record for when the MH passed through you might be in for more questions, make sure you have a receipt showing MH was in storage not being lived in.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow, remind me to not leave my motorhome in Canada!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Ever since I arrived in the USA(born in Englad), I have ached for a motorhome.
I workamped all over europe, with SOB trailer, and it was awesome.

However using a motorhome here in the USA makes sense to me. The idea of traveling with family friends and dogs all relaxing and being able to use all the facilities, make the "getting there" such a blast!

When I started to look for my dream, I looked at a lot of older Motorhomes, as my budget is and was limited. I narrowed my choices down...
GMC Motorhomes and Mid 80's Holiday Ramblers.

In the end, after looking at quite a few, I realized something important..
ALL older MH's have issues... running gear gets tired... systems break down and need replacement..
I accepted that.
But here was an important discovery..
Many of the Box style MH's like the HR, have HUGE issues with wall delamination.. bubbles, ripples etc.I saw and see many with this issue.

I pondered for a long time...
I knew of, and loved the Airstream Trailers, but dismissed them as I did not want a trailer.
Somehow missed the fact that Airstream made a Classic Style MH.
When I found out, I was IN..
No wall delamination... they leak.. yes, but the water runs down and rots the floor(so you only get floor rot... not wall AND floor rot!)
Downside is cold/hot bridging due to the construction... and less space due to the shape.
Up side... is that look..
Especially POLISHED..

I looked at a few... at the time, in 2009 and 2010... $15k to 30K+ range.
In the end I spotted one in KS... ugly and had body damage but the price was right(I thought) at below $10k.
Worst side pic.

Best side pic..

But with a fresh Jasper Motor, rebuilt trans and suspension, new water heater, and recent refridgerator(I count $25k in receipts in the the previous 5 years).

I went for it. Flew into KS with a buddy, with my fingers crossed...
The PO was fair and honest, and the test drive, and drive home went as perfect as I could have wished with a leaking water heater and blown fuse as low points..
Pic from trip home.. Petrified Forest..

I had a blast, and felt so good on arriving home!
Downside was finding lots of smog equipment missing...

In closing, I have come a long way(but traveled little since arriving in CA)... and endured setbacks and delays, but I still love my choice!

Pictures of my progress..

Long way to go, but every day/week is a step forward.

In hindsight, I maybe could have bought a better example for the same money as prices have bottomed... but maybe its all swings and roundabouts...

My advice is this...
Look, and dream, accept each units compromises, and buy what suits you...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Follow KeyAir's advice. I have to tell this story to each and every person when they 'remind' me that I bought a 24 year old motorhome. My 2nd camping trip, the campground had a couple with a 1 year old diesel pusher. Sucker HAD to be pushing $200K. It was ALREADY on it's 2nd diesel engine. Just because you go buy new, doesn't mean that you not buying problems.
With those of us who have bought our Classic Airstreams, we all knew that they came with issues, and that the purchase price was only the 'down-payment'. Money has been really tight lately, so no camping. But, it's beginning to slowly improve, so I'm doing improvements on motorhome.
My only recommendation if you consider any older RV, please be sure you have LOTS of $, or a good basic knowledge of plumping, heating, drive-train and great tools!
Good Luck, Derek