Well I promised that I would be back with updates when everything was said and done...well it is.
Needless to say I bought the MH! I drove it home through Washoe Valley (a notoriously WINDY straight stretch of HWY 395) for my first "driving in the wind" experience. It was VERY nice! Heh, the previous week I had driven my brother-in-law’s bread truck motor home conversion through the same valley with less wind and thought I was going to die! I like the way it feels!
After getting the VIN inspection and registration/insurance and all that I took parents and friends for a few short drives around the block… one day I looked at the gas gauge and noticed it was getting low. I drove to the nearest truck stop for some fuel. I was one stop light away, waiting for my green when it died! I waited ‘till I got a green and started it up again (pumping the gas). As I was maneuvering into the pumps it died AGAIN!! This time there was no hope. It would NOT start again. I was literally 10 feet from the pump!! I did not have a gas can with me so my wife brought one from home (1 gallon). I ran back and forth from the pump to the beast about 8 times until I felt I had put plenty in. It started right up! I was soo happy! I had to sell a kidney to get enough money to fill both tanks.
The original tank is on the driver’s side, the second tank is on the passengers side behind the door. The seller told me that there was an “order” to which tank to use first but he could not remember… I figured that the original tank would be first then the new one second. About 10 minutes later while idling in a parking lot I stepped out the front door to find gas literally spewing out from under the gas flap! Should have started with that tank.
I had a little issue with fuses after plugging it in to AC, but I think that is all worked out for the most part now. The fridge works well on gas or AC. The roof mounted Air Conditioner blows cold air but it sure doesn’t seem very effective… Water pump is fine, water tank is great. The Generator works great, starts great. I have not yet tried the water heater or the forced air heater.
Things I have already done:
Bathroom door that didn’t slide: fixed with a screwdriver in 10 minutes (the guy told me it would have to be replaced…what a joke).
The drawers that kept flying open while driving: same screwdriver, a wrench and 45 minutes.
Not working horns: ladder, trusty screwdriver, a long stick to shove out the 12” of compact tree fuzz and bugs. Still did not work. Then a complete dismantle of the steering wheel and horn switch to discover corroded (and poorly designed) contacts. Some brasso and steel wool and tada! I was waking the neighbors in less than 2 hours flat!
Carpet needed to be cleaned: My wonderful wife took care of that in 20 minutes.
Brakes sounded like they were filled with gravel: After a $880.00 estimate from the brake place I decided to take it on myself…after all “how hard can brakes be?!” I dug into it Friday evening at 5:45, ran out of light with both tires, rotors, hubs, calipers and all four pads laying on my front lawn. A quick trip to Napa for some grease and one new bearing and a seal Saturday morning at 10:00. With some lifting help from my dad (those rotor/hubs are HEAVY!!) I had them back together by 1:00pm! I had never even seen brakes done before and I did not have any manuals or pictures or anything to work from, needless to say I am rather proud that I didn’t end up with extra pieces with no place to bolt them!
A lot more to be done but I have my trusty screwdriver and I can always make time! There’s more to post but I fear I will bore you so I will post in moderation. Heh.
Thanks again to everyone for all the wonderful help and advice!!!!!
p.s. As I mentioned it was 24' in '74 in '81 it was converted to 31'.
This is a floorplan from Fred's site (1974, 24')
I drew a floorplan to reflect what it looks like now: