Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2004, 02:06 PM   #21
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
You need to pass if you have to borrow money to buy it. This is not the kind of item you use credit for. Wait. Save. Pay cash. There will be more airstream motorhomes to buy later.

There's going to be things to repair no matter how nice the rest looks. If you don't do significant wrench turning greasy repair work yourself, you're gonna spend another $5000 to fix, replace, upgrade the non obvious items. For example, tires are $125 each, not yet mounted or balanced for a cheap brand. AC work is expensive. And that's only scratches the surface. There's an old post from last year somewhere on this forum listing all the various P30 chasis items we typically had to replace when we bought ours.

When I bought mine the previously owner advertised it as great condition, drive it anywhere. He believed it because he did not know anybetter. It really did look good and ran with most stuff functioning. I bought it expecting to have some repairs to do. I actually replaced alot of engine and chasis components (84,000 on chasis, 40,000k on engine and tranny at purchase). Fortunately did all the work myself so was out only an additional $1000 or so for parts. And unexpected stuff still turns up to fix.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #22
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have to second IPM's post.

The fact that the current owner allowed the insurance to expire or canceled it tells me it has not been used in a while. The lack of use causes a myriad of troubles that will not necessarily make themselves apparent on initial inspection.

Unless you go to the local loan sharks most banks will not touch anything this old, let alone a custom job that cannot be defined from a value standpoint. Home equity line of credit would be the best way to do it, but be sure to get it for 3-5K over the purchase price just in case you need it.

You need to go into this expecting that there will be at the least one costly repair.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Oh wow...

I had a mental picture of a cobbled-up, spliced-in motorhome-looking thing. I gotta say that this one is a marvel! It looks like it's been well cared for. If the mechanicals are in as good a shape as the body and interior, and you can get it for anything reasonable, I think it'd probably be quite a buy!

I have to agree on the bit about financing though. You can hardly find anyone to finance a mid-80s coach that has book value, much less a '70s coach that is custom built with no book value listed for it. You won't be able to find a commercial lender who'll touch this with a 10 foot pole, unless you can find private money somewhere.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
You need to go into this expecting that there will be at the least one costly repair.
Now, Brett... whatever would make you think that?

Roger
Old 07-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #25
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Now, Brett... whatever would make you think that?

Roger

I remember a discussion I had with my dear wife not seconds before I hit the submit button on the Ebay bid that won us our current motorhome. We discussed the "worst" that could happen and decided that even if the engine blew up we would still be willing to do what it took to get this unit home and redone to our liking.

Be careful what you say.

The Big Guy must have been listening to that little discussion and decided to test our resolve. ( Yes, Mr Goodwrench, so how much is a Crate motor?) So be careful where you set your personal $$ threshold.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
........discussed the "worst" that could happen and decided that even if the engine blew up we would still be willing to do what it took to get this unit home and redone to our liking.
Be careful what you say.
......So be careful where you set your personal $$ threshold.
Several active Forum members have stated, in various ways, that ownership is an invitation to spend more money............

Hi, my name is 87MH, and I am addicted to spending money on my Airstream Motor Home.

Just from the pics (good shots, BTW), I can see certain areas I know you will want to "improve" -- saggy wood, carpet, paint touchup.

More than any project I have undertaken, the MoHo redo turned into a "while I'm at it" exponential list of things to "fix"......while I have the carpet out I might as well fix the saggy floor....while I have the old tires replaced I might as well replace the brakes...the old brake lines....totally change the fluid while I'm bleeding the brakes.....and so on, and so on, and so on..................ad infinitum.

But, if you enjoy working on such things yourself....(for me it's therapy).....by all means - Go for it!!!

Take the advice of others on the Forum who have been there and done that already....anticipate a fair amount of cash for "immediate" things......

and then double your high side estimate.......at least.

Happy Airstreaming!!!!!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Hey thank you for the honest advice/opinion! This is the kind of thing I need to hear. I am far from apposed to doing 90% of the work myself; I can swing most repairs for a lot of vehicles but I admit this is probably the biggest endeavor I have taken on as far as chassis size/engine size/unknown territory. Cosmetics are easy, and I am in no hurry to make the thing glisten and shine; I just want it to run right and drive right...the rest can happen as needed I suppose. We'll see, I know that my own estimated time tables will get thrown out of whack as soon as I pick it up and drive it the 2 hours back home...I'll probably notice a "tick" or "click" or some other odd noise and find myself shoulder deep in an a 454 in no time!

At least I have lots of family help (professional mechanic, Electrical engineer, safety inspector, interior designer (my wife likes this one! heh), etc. etc.)!

Thanks again for the advice! If anyone has any more please let me know! I'll listen! I will be sure to post here what my findings are as soon as they come up.

Ohh yeah and as far as finances go, I have the money and at this time I have about $1,200 surplus that I plan on throwing at it as needed... after that I may have to borrow (banks or family or line of credit).

thanks!
-Logan
pillageTHENburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #28
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Tools...

Oh, and Logan...

I hope you either have a Sears store close at hand, or know your local Snap-On tool guy REALLY well! For starters, I'd sure recommend a 3/4" drive socket set, and make sure you have the appropriate wrenches from 1" up... a 10 ton floor jack is good... You should also find a ready dealer for gallons and gallons of WD40; other solvents as necessary; fluids, heater hose by the yard etc. etc. You should also probably check with the EPA to ensure that you won't need a hazardous waste permit to dispose of the quantites of fluids you'll be draining...

Then, of course, you'll have EIGHT tires to replace, each one at the cost of a set of four for your car...

Roger
Old 07-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I say buy it!

I think the photos look awesome.... and besides, there's plenty of help here from those before you! I think the 7500 price seems a good starting point (even better if you get it down a bit). I'm looking forward to another MH saga.. keeps me prepared for when I eventually do it.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
I'm getting an insurance binder and will give it a test drive on Sunday. Gardenerville does not have ANY hills nearby except one...and that one is Hwy50; If I get on 50 I can't turn around until I'm at Lake Tahoe. I suppose I'll try some freeway speeds and take it to a big lot and play a little... Other than the possible pulling from mis-aligned tag tires are there any suggestions about the handleing aspect of my driveing critique?

As it looks right now, if things go right we'll close the deal with $7,000 with sale being contingent on my test drive, my wife's final opinion, and hopefully a professional mechanical inspection.

I do need a good excuse to buy more tools...looks like I found a 32 foot reason! A 10 ton floor jack!? How could you carry that thing!!?!!

-Logan
Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
MH-motor home

It started life as a 74 side bath according to the serial number. My sn is 0217 so they weren't built very far apart.
John,
If this one is V24D4V0219 Does that mean that it was literally consecutively 2 units down the line? What exactly is a side bath? And how can you tell that from the #? (bear with me I'm learning!)

-Logan
Old 07-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillageTHENburn
A 10 ton floor jack!? How could you carry that thing!!?!!
Logan,

I carry a 12 ton bottle jack so I can change a tire if need be. I hope I never need to, but be prepared is my motto.

Driving characteristics:

Should run smooth at idle. once you start it I would get out and listen for exhaust leaks. For more negotiating power Transmission should drop right into gear. No Hesitation. Listen for vibrations in the drive-line. They normally show up as harmonics at speeds between 40 and 60 MPH. These can be a sign of needing u-joints, or a carrier bearing, or yokes on the Differential or transmission. Drive it gently while warming up, but do some WOT from a standing start and let it run through all 3 gears. This will help you to determine if the distributor is doing the proper advance as well as the carb acting correct and transmission shifting properly. You could also do some slow starts to approx 30-35 and then hit it. The secondaries should open smoothly and there should be no hesitation.

Pulling, wheel shimmy, vibrations that are constant all mean suspension or drive-train needs attention. All the parts are readily available, but you need to factor that into the the final price.

One thing to think as you are driving, will the rattle or squeak I hear drive me nuts as I spend 6-8 hours behind the wheel. Finding those can sometimes be a bear. Eliminating the cause is always the best bet because vibration is bad for the shell as Andy from Inland RV has said.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #33
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Sounds like you have a thoughtful plan. $7K is cheap. If it checks out, buy it with cash. If you have any doubts but still want it, offer less.

I'd check the fridge to make sure it works. They are slow to cool initially. Should work on lp gas and 110v. Unit has to be level to operate. Operating on nonlevel will quickly cause the unit to fail (vapor lock or worse it burned up). Fridges cost around $1k? If it's shot you can always use a large cooler for a couple of years. You're not going to have a lack of space. Don't forget to join the airstream club. goodluck.......................
Old 07-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #34
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
there's air bags in the rear suspension, check those to see that they inflate from the onboard pump..................if you still have SLAMMING, JARRING, and other mechanical shock sounds coming from the rear, then they have not pumped up. Could be something a simple as the fuse located at the pump or worse............

these items broke during the drive home when I bought mine:

speedocable (lack of lubrication), onboard pump for rear axle (seized), exhaust leak at manifold developed, lost some hubcap pieces, power button on radio broke, tachometer quit, it was an interesting ride home......................got pulled over by a highwaypatrolman because I did not put temporary tags on it.............guess airstreams are not invisible................hahahar
Old 07-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #35
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
This is the kind of thing I need to hear. I am far from apposed to doing 90% of the work myself; I can swing most repairs for a lot of vehicles but I admit this is probably the biggest endeavor I have taken on as far as chassis size/engine size/unknown territory.
When I bought our MH a little over a year ago the biggest thing I had ever worked on was a Ford Van. While the parts are certainly bigger than a Honda...it's all the same basic systems for the chassis. The good thing is that parts for Chevy P30's are plentiful and cheap.

The coach is another matter. Lots of new things to figure out. Many times it's simply tuning, tinkering and chasing grounds to get things working again...but each system is replaceable and pretty standard.

Lastly, let me echo the previous posts about DIY RV ownership. I've come to believe that if you're going to own an old AS MH you need to be handy. Actually a little more than handy. The folks who have already replied to your post, as well as many others on this forum, have helped me navigate through the last year or repairs, upgrades and modifications. I simply could not enjoy owning my AS as much as I do without this forum.

All that said, what a cool coach! I would certainly seek out proof that this was a factory modification. This could represent the difference between a good coach that rides comfortably and safely and something out of "Monster Garage".

In any case, this coach or another, it's about the the experience more than the equipment. You'll have a blast.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
As it looks right now, if things go right we'll close the deal with $7,000 with sale being contingent on my test drive, my wife's final opinion, and hopefully a professional mechanical inspection.-Logan
Logan --

7 grand is more (or less) than a fair price.......I wouldn't try to "nit pick" the deal to death after a test drive - it's a given that the test drive will expose some anomolies......and the mechanic will surely find something wrong with the chassis...that's what you're paying him for.

The unit looks as if it has $7,000 worth of new woodwork in it....I'm sure your wife will love it.......take her to see ANY 25 year old SOB (or any RV priced less than 10 grand) before you stop in to see the Argy.

"I do need a good excuse to buy more tools.."
.....You betcha'...

"A 10 ton floor jack!? How could you carry that thing!!?!!".......
10 ton minimum......they have wheels on 'em.

Also, a set of 6 ton minimum jack stands....go ahead and buy a 100% guaranteed starter - you will need it.....

Heck, just do a search on Motorhome Spare Parts......

Be forewarned, you are about to embark on a passionate and expensive addiction.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
sorry...

Quote:
A 10 ton floor jack!? How could you carry that thing!!?!!
I suppose I didn't clarify that I tend to have a dry sense of sarcasm...I usually carry a mop to sop it up.

I do like the jack idea...when I was a kid I always loved "using" my dads huge floor jack (was my grandfathers 50+ years ago). "Using" meant typically sitting on the plate and having my dad jack me 4 1/2 feet high, then listening for the sound and looking forward to the ride when he let out the pressure.... heh good times being 7!!!

-Logan
Old 07-15-2004, 09:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
John,
If this one is V24D4V0219 Does that mean that it was literally consecutively 2 units down the line? What exactly is a side bath? And how can you tell that from the #? (bear with me I'm learning!)

-Logan
The 'D' denotes a side bath. Originally the galley was directly across from the door. The bath was just behind it, and there was a couch/bed in the rear, cabinets where your kitchen is now, minus the 8 ft.

I would guess they were 2 apart when they were built. The V in the serial number means it was built in Versailles, OH, so were the Argosy trailers. I don't know how the mix was when building, could have been another mh or a trailer between them.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	7760  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #39
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Hey John,

Completely off topic, but does seeing this one make you want to get yours finished?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #40
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I want to get it finished bad, but then I read threads about picking out upholstery and I sympathize with Rog0525, too many choices.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote