Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
What info a VIN # will get you

Heard from an AS modder recently that if you look up a vehicle using its VIN # you can get some or all of the specs for the vehicle.

I'm particularly interested in what's behind the wallpaper in various locations in my coach. He said there were so many differences from one vehicle to the next, even within model years that the most accurate info often had to be found this way. Is this true? And if so, how would I track that down and where? Just go to Jackson City and camp out in their filing cabinets?

This guy told me that some have aluminum interior panels, others have wood of various kinds, and some have a mixture. I may not be quoting accurately, BTW. I just would rather not tear the place up to answer some of these questions.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
You can get some information here
Airstream, Inc :: Serial Numbers
Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
This guy told me that some have aluminum interior panels, others have wood of various kinds, and some have a mixture. I may not be quoting accurately, BTW. I just would rather not tear the place up to answer some of these questions.
Actually I believe the answer to your question about wood walls is actually all airstreams had aluminum inner walls and then a thin layer of wood veneer is glued/fastened to the aluminum skin. I have been dismantling a 345 that had wood on the inner walls and that is what I found.

I'll try and post some pictures of the wood clad aluminum early this coming week.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The VIN will not tell you anything other then what the base vehicle MFG constructed. If you need specific info related to the Airstream conversion then you'll need to talk to Airstream. Chevy, Ford or Dodge will not tell you how AS built your unit.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey Brad it was your great thread about (scary) interior photos that prompted me to post this here! I was trying to avoid taking the plunge just to see what was inside mine. Thanks so much for sharing those, I hope you do post more and I will be following with interest.

And also 92Landyacht, thanks for the clarification. This modded said VIN but maybe he just meant serial number or something. I forgot that the VIN. Was associated with the chassis. My impression tho was that there was some designation that differentiated vehicles from each other for this purpose.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
The VIN will not tell you anything other then what the base vehicle MFG constructed. If you need specific info related to the Airstream conversion then you'll need to talk to Airstream. Chevy, Ford or Dodge will not tell you how AS built your unit.
Conversions have two VINs, one for the basic chassis, one for the coachwork. The VIN on the vehicle registration will usually be the chassis VIN, since that's the one engraved on the engine. The Airstream VIN will be located somewhere inside the living spaces, probably inside a closet or cabinet. Neither VIN will tell you anything about the method of construction. They will tell you manufacturer, assembly line, model, model year, and serial number.

You MIGHT get information on the construction by contacting Airstream once you have the serial number (last six digits of VIN) and asking them about that particular coach.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh! Two VINS. The plot thickens. That's great. I will look that up, just for grins. Maybe I'll learn something unexpected from JC. If so, I will post. Thanks again!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Oh! Two VINS. The plot thickens. That's great. I will look that up, just for grins. Maybe I'll learn something unexpected from JC. If so, I will post. Thanks again!
Both of our VIN's are located in the engine compartment on the left side, with the front latch opened. My GM VIN is 1986 and the Airstream VIN is 1987, which caused a bit of confusion when I registered it for the Texas Title.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Conversions have two VINs, one for the basic chassis, one for the coachwork. The VIN on the vehicle registration will usually be the chassis VIN, since that's the one engraved on the engine. The Airstream VIN will be located somewhere inside the living spaces, probably inside a closet or cabinet. Neither VIN will tell you anything about the method of construction. They will tell you manufacturer, assembly line, model, model year, and serial number.
Keep in mind that for a Sprinter based Interstate, you can get very detailed build information about the base vehicle (but not the AS conversion) via EPCNet at StartekInfo. A subscription costs $12/yr. EPC-net Online In addition to the "data card" which shows detailed information about your specific Sprinter you can access complete parts information.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
VIN on chassis

My recently purchased motorhome came with a 1979 Service Manual explaining the serial numbering. It showed the Engine Designation number as being one of two: L = V-8 -350 or Y = V-8 - 454. That's all. No other option. However my code is a C and my engine is a V-8 - 454. Wonder why?
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote